The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:00:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New England AM QRP Net 3PM Sundays 3.870  (Read 30084 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »

Yes that is the one and I have a picture of the sales guy!

* MaineSalesman.jpg (26.68 KB, 241x300 - viewed 401 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
W1UJR
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »

Love it!

We called our buyer "Smiling Jay", was close to that, but not quite!
Nancy handles all the of the sales now, folks seem much more comfortable with that.

* DSCN0373.JPG (4636.21 KB, 4320x3240 - viewed 406 times.)
W1UJR
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »

New England PW Net - See You On the Big 3.870 Today

3:00PM EST

3.870 in the double sideband with carrier mode

* 39CL1925CustomImage6455201 ham.jpg (138.56 KB, 493x395 - viewed 413 times.)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

I was on my way to a social gathering with carbonated beverages in N. Chelmsford and I knew that I was going to miss the net so I threw the mobile in the car and checked in on the road. I heard Al VTP because he lives right next to me but no sign of Bruce Net Control at first. Then like a light switch at 3:15 Bruce and Tim came up and no problem from then on. I am glad Tim was using his big PW 807 screen modulated and and not the 6AQ5 this week. Too much fuel pump noise!

These are the good old days of AM
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

I am glad Tim was using his big PW 807 screen modulated and and not the 6AQ5 this week.

Me too.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1UJR
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »

Tying The Ribbons On - April 24 - Until November
Another good net today, but based upon near summer conditions the last few weeks, the copy has become rough.
It was discussed and moved today by net members that we take a break for the summer.
Frank GFZ suggested that the break point be the NEARFest weekend, and I think that is an excellent idea as many of the net members will be there.

We want to go out on a high point, not have folks get discouraged but rather early look forward to fall operations.

So, April 24 will be our last New England AM PW Net for the Winter/Spring season of 2010-2011, and we'll resume net operations on the day that the time falls back, November 6, 2011 at 3:00PM...perhaps sooner if the group feels up to it.

Thanks to your participation and support, the PW net has been a rousing success, we routinely had a hard time making even one round during the peak, so numerous were the check ins. It became an excuse for many folks to drag out old gear from the shelves, or in some cases build entirely new rigs!

You may still find a few stalwarts during our hiatus, so keep your ears open on 3.870 at 3:00 EST.

In the meantime, we've got a few more weeks to keep things rolling, so I look forward to mod-u-lating you on the airwaves.

>>> Sunday New England PW AM Net <<<

Time
- 3:00PM EST

Frequency
-3.870 MHz - with apologies to our "rock bound" brethren

Run What You "Brung"
- Home-brew stuff is cool, if you're running that, please share the details with the rest of the folks on the net.
- Vintage commercial or newer car is welcome, the point is to show how LOW a power level you really need.

Power Levels
- 20 watts or under, its the spirit, not the power level, be sure to tell the rest of the boys how LOW you can get, makes it interesting.
- Perhaps we should have a mention for the person with the LOWEST power level to check in.

Net Control Stations
- W1UJR Bruce
- Guest and alternatives

What Else
- We've been running the "back to net control format", will stick with that.
- Let all know what you are running, any special background on the rig, etc
w1vtp

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »

Some thoughts on running QRP

I have been having pretty good luck running the Flex in the 2 to 6 watt power range: 2 watts under favorable conditions and 6 watts when we have conditions like this past Sunday.  We have enjoyed some pretty nice HB projects on the net.  Some of the projects are relatively new - I think Mike WU2D's "Widow Maker" a 50C5 modulated by a 50C5 is an example of this.  Timmy HLR brought out at least one older project that had been languishing on the shelf to be used. Oh yes, Richeroni ETP brought out his cakepan rig with good success.  So, this net has provoked some of us to utilize some of our HBing skills with good effect.

However, I have had problems with a few signals - not particularly because of a low signal level but because of low modulation level.  Here's a suggestion: why not do some dubbing around with some clipping / higher modulation density techniques to squeeze the last ounce of modulation intelligelence out of a QRP signal?  We might come out with some interesting methods that, on hand, would really put some punch into the signal and yet, on the other, hand actually make the signal pleasant to listen to.  One technique that comes to mind would be the negative peak limiter. But, I don't think we should rule out some processing to bring up the density of the modulation component.  Just a thought.  We have been inspired to build (some of us) some QRP transmitters, now how about "tweaking" them or the modulatin circuit so that they have some real punch.  At least we should drag out our scopes and make sure that we are hitting 100% modulation.

It's a real blast.  I'm working on my screen modulated 720 - won't have it ready for this summer but hope to this fall - maybe after I retire, for sure.

73, and happy PW / QRPing, Al
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

Bruce
Great idea. Sorry I have not been active. Lot of stuff going on with my parents. Look forward to joining you all in  the fall
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UJR
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »

Today is the last net - Tying The Ribbons On - April 24 - Until November

We want to go out on a high point, not have folks get discouraged but rather eagerly look forward to fall operations.

So, April 24 will be our last New England AM PW Net for the Winter/Spring season of 2010-2011, and we'll resume net operations on the day that the time falls back, November 6, 2011 at 3:00PM...perhaps sooner if the group feels up to it.

Thanks to your participation and support, the PW net has been a rousing success, we routinely had a hard time making even one round during the peak, so numerous were the check ins. It became an excuse for many folks to drag out old gear from the shelves, or in some cases build entirely new rigs!

You may still find a few stalwarts during our hiatus, so keep your ears open on 3.870 at 3:00 EST.

In the meantime, we've got a few more weeks to keep things rolling, so I look forward to mod-u-lating you on the airwaves.

>>> Sunday New England PW AM Net <<<

Time
- 3:00PM EST

Frequency
-3.870 MHz - with apologies to our "rock bound" brethren

Run What You "Brung"
- Home-brew stuff is cool, if you're running that, please share the details with the rest of the folks on the net.
- Vintage commercial or newer car is welcome, the point is to show how LOW a power level you really need.

Power Levels
- 20 watts or under, its the spirit, not the power level, be sure to tell the rest of the boys how LOW you can get, makes it interesting.
- Perhaps we should have a mention for the person with the LOWEST power level to check in.

Net Control Stations
- W1UJR Bruce
- Guest and alternatives

What Else
- We've been running the "back to net control format", will stick with that.
- Let all know what you are running, any special background on the rig, etc
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2011, 08:42:14 AM »

Just a thought ...

On those rainy Sunday afternoons during the summer (like today's forecast for New England) ... (yes I know it's not quite summer yet) it might be interesting to try PW operations on 40 meters. The band is usually quiet (if no thunderstorms activity in area). Might work ... might not. Maybe some unofficial operations to 'test the waters'?

Just a thought ... not necessarily a good one   Undecided   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015