The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typing Errors  (Read 14898 times)
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »

I'm using a Windows 7 32 bit operating system and the absolutely newest, updated version of Fire Fox. What seems to happen is when I start, or add to a thread I will be typing a sentence and suddenly my typing will change lines at random and continue showing my type on a previous line.

It isn't a big deal. I catch it, cut and paste the type where it belongs. At first I thought I might have tapped the mouse pad with my thumb and sent the type to a curser position. After careful watching I'm convinced it's not me. Could it be the forum's software or maybe Mozilla? Thanks.

Mike
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »

I'm typing this response with Win7 32 bit and Firefox 3.6.14 and haven't experienced that problem.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »

Are you using a laptop?  Mine was extremely frustrating, to the point that I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it, until I figured out what was going on and disabled the tap-to-click feature.  Whoever came up with that idea ought to be strung up and dipped into a vat of boiling transformer oil.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »

Are you using a laptop?  Mine was extremely frustrating, to the point that I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it, until I figured out what was going on and disabled the tap-to-click feature.  Whoever came up with that idea ought to be strung up and dipped into a vat of boiling transformer oil.
Tell us how you really feel .......Don........

73..Steve
W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »

Are you using a laptop?  Mine was extremely frustrating, to the point that I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it, until I figured out what was going on and disabled the tap-to-click feature. 

Oh, for Ghod's sakes, is that what's going on!? How do I disable it under Ubuntu 10.9?

Whoever came up with that idea ought to be strung up and dipped into a vat of boiling transformer oil.

No, that would be cruel. I think (s)he should be compelled to learn Morse-code-on-a-touchpad in order to enter any text.

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K5WLF
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »

Are you using a laptop?  Mine was extremely frustrating, to the point that I felt like throwing the thing on the floor and stomping it, until I figured out what was going on and disabled the tap-to-click feature. 

Oh, for Ghod's sakes, is that what's going on!? How do I disable it under Ubuntu 10.9?

Bill W1AC

Bill,

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and under the System > Preference > Mouse menu dialog, I find a "Touchpad" tab, which has "Disable touchpad while typing" as one of the options.

My Toshiba lappie has a button just above the touchpad to toggle it on and off, but it looks like Ubuntu will do it for you as well.

ldb
K5WLF
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

Mine is a Dell with Windows 7, and I went in under Control Panel and under Mouse Preferences all I had to do was uncheck the tap-to-click feature.  Good riddance.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »

The tapping feature can be maddening if you don't want it. Another possible annoyance is the 'scroll zones' on the touchpad. These are areas along the right and bottom (usually) edges of the pad that are assigned not as mouse-cursor-moving areas but to a function that scrolls the window contents vertically and/or horizontally.

There are usually two levels of driver for touchpads. One is very basic, seems like the generic sort of mouse driver thing that comes with windows and omits the touchpad control panel. The touchpad control panel is often the only place where tap-to-click and scrolling can be disabled or in some cases adjusted.

The omission is most frequent in the corporate world where the information department totally re-images laptops before the employee is assigned one.

Most touchpads I run into are Synaptics. The drivers and control programs can be had at their site and sometimes at the computer manufacturer's site.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015