The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:11:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the heck is all that SLOP BUCKET on 160????  (Read 42339 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »

In a raspy, Long Island Arnold accent:    "W - 2.........  Honolulu  -  California -  Worrssshinton"

AFAIK, Arnold was the first one on the east coast to put up a full-size 75M rotary Yagi .

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2011, 07:09:21 PM »

Probably WA8AHB, later W8AHB, still in the callbook listed to Ann Arbor.

That's the guy Paul, I worked him once around 2001 or 02.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »

Arnold was who I was trying to figure out.  I believe his antenna was a strengthened KLM or a M Squared after they bought KLM. Ahrnuld had the over water location but couldnt compete with Chucks ASL, his ridge was perfectly located for gain enhancement in the far field and low angles. Powerwise they were close enough that it didnt matter.

That guttural Brooklyn Jewish accent was dripping with arrogance.
kg8lb
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »

Jack from Andover, Mich. He was a W8??? and had a rig all in the open inside what looked like chicken crates. I think he was a school teacher.

Probably WA8AHB, later W8AHB, still in the callbook listed to Ann Arbor.

He was sort of a single-subject QSO like Irb, W2VJZ, but instead of the Constitution, Jack's theme was grievances against Nikola Tesla.

W8AHB,  Jack worshiped Nikola to the bone. He hated Thomas Edison in a direct inverse proportion. Educators cannot seem to get around Edison's meager schooling . I bet they are indoctrinated with bashing points as a part of their degree .
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »

It's interesting that Arnold basically inspired Chuck to put up his 3el KLM 75M Yagi. Chuck took a trip to LI and Arnold picked him up in a limo and whisked him off to his QTH. Arnold had up one of those driven cell, 4el KLM jobs. The boom snapped during an ice storm the SAME week that Chuck had his new 3el operational. So they never really had a chance to do a 1:1 comparison.  Afterwards Arnold had up a single 75M NE loop on his tall tower and a second one at right angles to SE.

Over years of pecker matching, I found my best 75M Yagi system (7 el wire Yagi at 130') was about par with Chuck into Eu and we were both about 5db stronger than Arnold. This was due to Arnold's missing Yagi, I'm sure. When you have a good loacation, run a Yagi and competitive power, there's not much more you can do - and the signals get very close to one another. The only variance becomes cornditions, audio and of course, reputation. At the time, the call "WA1EKV" and "W2HCW" were both worth a few db... Grin  Being the new kid on the block (1986) I had rough sledding amongst these tall ships despite doing everything I could to compete.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »

Arnold was the 80 meter DX window PIG. Many a morning I would get up early just to listen to him yak about nothing killing the whole opening.
I called him a pig every chance I got. He thought nothing of opening up right on top of a QSO so he could pig his way on.
He was and is worm crap
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »

Don't hold back, Frank. Tell us how you REALLY feel! Grin
WA1GFZ

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

Get up at 4:30
Power up the big rig
All set for the 4:45 opening to JA land
Here comes the pig to yak with the same VK every friggen morning
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »

I could often work thru him and work JA's or anyone else where the NW Beverage dropped Arnold way down and most VK's into the noise. I was running a "loaner" LK-800 QRO model that was within a few dB of him. I almost cried when I had to give the amp back to Denny Had Angry

I was running stacked inverted vees.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

The DX Window has more than one frequency.

Get up at 4:30
Power up the big rig
All set for the 4:45 opening to JA land
Here comes the pig to yak with the same VK every friggen morning
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015