The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:08:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the heck is all that SLOP BUCKET on 160????  (Read 42047 times)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »

Stanley? You mean Mike Primus.

I mean Stanley from CT, forget his call but that was his line on 75 in the 50's
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »

Stanley, W1TJX, Putnam, CT?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »

It was 80 meters back then sonny
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:32 PM »

No LIDS, No Kids and no Space Cadets!

Stanley lives on in infamy. He was a character.

That was Mike Preemus, W2OY (he "Anglicised" his name by spelling it that way).  Mike was world-famous for that phrase. Stanley must have been a copycat.

It was 75m for as long as I can remember.  I think that dates all the way back to the early 30s when they moved the phone band from the low end of the band (3500-3550 I believe), to the top end, either 3900-4000 or 3950-4000.  75.0m is exactly 4.0 mc/s. So the phone band got to be called "75", while the cw band was called "80".  A lot of people still call it "75" all the way down to 3600.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »

Stanley, W1TJX, Putnam, CT?

T

Yup, that Stanley. I first heard him around 52 listening on my grandparents black dial Zenith. Later I had many chats with him on 75 AM, he was pleasant once he got to know you and with PP 250TH's I was accepted Cool

Later W2ONV used a similar line on 20 SSB.

Never heard of the other guy.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »

If you've never heard of W2OY, we're going to take away your old buzzard certificate or some alien has invaded your body.   Grin
WA1GFZ

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »

I even worked W2OY and remember trying to sound like a buzzard so he would talk to me.
I think W2ONV is SK. I worked him many times and have one of his safety belts.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

Somewhere in 1973....

Mr Vu:    "Doctor,  W2OY left me with emotional scars. I was about 13 and thought it was my fault when he beat me up after I returned his CQ ... sob.."  Cry

Doctor: "Mr. Vu, my advice to you is to put up some 190' towers,  build a few big rigs and strap Chuck to get back your manhood.

Vu: Thank you, doctor.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »

I even worked W2OY and remember trying to sound like a buzzard so he would talk to me.
I think W2ONV is SK. I worked him many times and have one of his safety belts.

One of the dumb bunnies who put up stacked 20 meter monobanders just like ONV likes to run AM off 7160.

I wish I could have seen the guy's face when he found out the real reason ONV did so well.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »

yes Bill ONV is sk.  died a year or two ago.  Besides the climbing belt Bill had a few other irons in the fire.  He ran a business called UPI out of Paterson NJ and bought used industrial and transmitting tubes ("Turn your excess tubes into instant CASH!!").   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:06 PM »

One time around 1989 Bill came down to the 75M DX window looking to kick some ass. I heard him talking to his buddies about putting up a wire loop and showing the low band guys how it's done. I guess he figgered it was easy.  The first night he ran into Chuck and me holding court into Eu. He lasted about 15 minutes with us and then signed out. I heard him a few more times working DX on 75M, but soon went back to 20M where he was a big log with that 20M stack....  Moral: Be careful when playing another man's game...  Grin  He was a unique character for sure.  I liked his spunk.

T

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »

f you've never heard of W2OY, we're going to take away your old buzzard certificate or some alien has invaded your body

I never heard of him but my years of off air in the middle 1970's were filled with a guy by the name of Jack from Andover, Mich. He was a W8??? and had a rig all in the open inside what looked like chicken crates. I think he was a school teacher.

My drift on him that he was not liked by some? I guess that could be said about anyone but ham radio is a smaller community.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »

One time around 1989 Bill came down to the 75M DX window looking to kick some ass. I heard him talking to his buddies about putting up a wire loop and showing the low band guys how it's done. I guess he figgered it was easy.  The first night he ran into Chuck and me holding court into Eu. He lasted about 15 minutes with us and then signed out. I heard him a few more times working DX on 75M, but soon went back to 20M where he was a big log with that 20M stack....  Moral: Be careful when playing another man's game...  Grin  He was a unique character for sure.  I liked his spunk.

T

Bill told me one has to give up their sex life in order to figure out how to program a Behringer DSP9024.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »

I'd get the heck rid of that ONV belt pronto before someone gets hurt. The rivits are not kosher.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »

I'd get the heck rid of that ONV belt pronto before someone gets hurt. The rivits are not kosher.

What ya mean?  The motto in the ad said, "Now feel safe climbing towers."   Roll Eyes

Yes, I agree. A waist band and a simple strap going around your ass ain't gonna cut it.  Any ham over 50 (or any age for that matter) who still climbs is crazy not to use a full-body harness like fireman and mtn climbers use - AND be clipped onto a fall-arrest device sliding on the cable running alongside the tower.  Cheap insurance.   The alternative is either hitting the ground or having your guts ripped open when the waist band gives ya a 10G yank.

"Now feel SAFE climbing hambone towers."

T

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

Mike was world-famous for that phrase. Stanley must have been a copycat.

Then in the 80s it was recycled again by W-A-4-Doggie on SSB. His version was 'No Lids, No Kids, No Retirees. You old guys don't have much time left, you could die on me mid-conversation. I wanna talk with someone who has something to talk about other than when their social security check is arriving' and similar rants.

A couple guys really had his number though, and knew how to push his buttons. When one showed up talking about what Mike really did for work, he'd suddenly become bored with the conversation and leave the frequency pretty fast. Seems he got his ticket yanked at some point too, though I can't recall for sure.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

If you've never heard of W2OY, we're going to take away your old buzzard certificate or some alien has invaded your body.

I never claimed to listen to all the retards back then. 75 was just an afterthought band for me anyway just as it is today Grin

Then in the 80s it was recycled again by W-A-4-Doggie on SSB. His version was 'No Lids, No Kids, No Retirees. You old guys don't have much time left, you could die on me mid-conversation. I wanna talk with someone who has something to talk about other than when their social security check is arriving' and similar rants.

I used to really pull his chain. Iffn I remember his ticket was revoked and he came back with a new call and a false name and really got in the deep doo doo.

I wish I could have seen the guy's face when he found out the real reason ONV did so well.

Location on the Palisades and the 4CX10000 in the garage helped.

The other PITA on 75 SSB was that obnoxious old banker out on LI who thought all he needed was money until Chuck kept blowing him away with the 3 el KLM (and the 4 x 8877 amp) on the 120' tower on the hill overlooking everything to EU and JA longpath. I bought that antenna but regained my sanity and sold it. Ask Chuck about some of the wild evenings we used to have in Mexican restaurants usually after he stopped here for a few hours after work. Grin
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »

I worked W2OY once when I was a kid living in Illinois living on the farm.

I had shorted out the crystal filter in my Kenwood TS-510 to try pure, DSB AM. Drove a pair of 4CX250Bs.

Hooked up with the guy and told him I was running a Gates BC-1. That cranked him. "Oh yeah, I knew you were running some heavy iron.."

If you've never heard of W2OY, we're going to take away your old buzzard certificate or some alien has invaded your body.   Grin

Yes, LOL Steve. Now, do any other OTs here remember Arnold. W2HCW from "Lung Island, New York" with that full sized 3-el on 75?  "Doubleya Two Hotel Charlie Whiskey". He'd be working pileups of EUs and UAs...I couldn't hear a single one of them.

And who was Walt, AMer out of W4 -Land? Supposedly bolted big tube sockets to the interior aluminum wall of a mobile home?

Don?
WA3VJB
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

Jack from Andover, Mich. He was a W8??? and had a rig all in the open inside what looked like chicken crates. I think he was a school teacher.

Probably WA8AHB, later W8AHB, still in the callbook listed to Ann Arbor.

He was sort of a single-subject QSO like Irb, W2VJZ, but instead of the Constitution, Jack's theme was grievances against Nikola Tesla.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »

Hi, Paul. How the heck are you doing?
WA3VJB
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »

Hi, Paul. How the heck are you doing?

Yo Bill !
Been thinking about you.  Text me a phone number and UTC time to call you tmrw.
(QSL)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »

And who was Walt, AMer out of W4 -Land? Supposedly bolted big tube sockets to the interior aluminum wall of a mobile home?

You must be thinking of Walt, WB4OAE, Hickory KY.  He ran a pair of 833As modulated by another pair.  Kind of a haywire setup inside his mobile home ham shack, which he had pulled in for the purpose next to his house. It was an open-frame rig built up with angle iron and plywood.  No panels; everything was bread boarded and out in the open.  I don't recall anything bolted to the wall. After his wife and then a couple of months later his dog died, he went kind of crazy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »

Bill told me one has to give up their sex life in order to figure out how to program a Behringer DSP9024.

Yeah damn near. 12 buttons and 400,000 functions. It's like training for a prize fight.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »

The problem is beyond the form factor which is bad enough. Those belts can come apart.

What ya mean?  The motto in the ad said, "Now feel safe climbing towers."   Roll Eyes

Yes, I agree. A waist band and a simple strap going around your ass ain't gonna cut it.  Any ham over 50 (or any age for that matter) who still climbs is crazy not to use a full-body harness like fireman and mtn climbers use - AND be clipped onto a fall-arrest device sliding on the cable running alongside the tower.  Cheap insurance.   The alternative is either hitting the ground or having your guts ripped open when the waist band gives ya a 10G yank.

"Now feel SAFE climbing hambone towers."

T
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »

That's Chuck and Tom's buddy. I have some audio I will post later today or tomorrow.

Now, do any other OTs here remember Arnold. W2HCW from "Lung Island, New York" with that full sized 3-el on 75?  "Doubleya Two Hotel Charlie Whiskey". He'd be working pileups of EUs and UAs...I couldn't hear a single one of them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015