The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:52:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Dipole Bargain  (Read 29676 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 06, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

http://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the punch line.   Roll Eyes

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »

And those are the "Special" prices!  Shocked

But, if you buy 6 or more, you get a discount...  Grin Grin Grin

Something about fools and their money comes to mind here. I noticed a good-sized section at the local AES dedicated to pre-made dipoles.  Roll Eyes

-Tim
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »

I just spent $22,000.00 for upgrading my OCF antennas this spring! I can't wait to try them out. Couldn't be easier using PayPal!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:41:17 PM »

What the ---- are these ------  ------- people thinking?
Are they that ------- -----?

Is this guy braiding the ------- wire by hand?

Makes me want to hurl.

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »

The difference is in the "Pure Virginia Mountain Air" (tm)

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Ott

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

Quote: "The magic is in the mathematical relationship between amateur bands."

Yeah well, the real magic over there is their ability to turn 11 lbs of wire into $526.95 plus shipping! Wink
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

-- Arthur C. Clarke
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

seller must be an audiophool oops, I mean audiophile.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »

That's pretty incredible.  If you have no conscience I guess you can make money in ham radio.  Was there anything like this in ham radio 50 or 60 years ago?   Or are there more suckers now?   Maybe the only way to advertise in the old days was CQ and QST and they had standards back then.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »

From Ott; Yeah well, the real magic over there is their ability to turn 11 lbs of wire into $526.95 plus shipping! Wink

That's what I was thinking.

The people that will buy those antennas are the same type of radio operator that will spend $600 on a chikkin band 5/8w ground plane solely because it says it can handle a ridiculous amount of wattage.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

About as cool as a $150 gotham vertical.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

That's pretty incredible.  If you have no conscience I guess you can make money in ham radio.  Was there anything like this in ham radio 50 or 60 years ago?   Or are there more suckers now?   Maybe the only way to advertise in the old days was CQ and QST and they had standards back then.

I'm sure someone here can figure out what the selling price would be for these things back 50 to 60 years ago. Or page through some of the old QST's and CQ's and see some of the weird items that were sold during that time.

Here's some MSRP and reviews on verticals and wire antennas on the market recently:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/13

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »

I don't believe the Buckmaster OCF is a good deal because the internal balun dealing with reactive loads will not likely survive high power AM. Other store bought options might include this antenna that has a very large balun:

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ocf_dipole.htm

It is funny to me how it is normal to spend $40K for an SUV, or $2500 for a flat screen TV with the options, or $3K+ for modern ham transceiver with accessories, and then we call someone an idiot for spending a few hundred bucks on an antenna.

Jim
WD5JKO
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »

I guess it's because of all things Amateur Radio, putting together a Dipole (or most other wire ants) is about the simplest thing possible.   I certainly couldn't build an SUV or Flat Screen TV from relatively cheap components or junque pile stuff.  But an Antenna, and a pretty darn good one too (heck, even the feedline)?  Yea that's easy for under $100.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KF1Z

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »

It is funny to me how it is normal to spend $40K for an SUV, or $2500 for a flat screen TV with the options, or $3K+ for modern ham transceiver with accessories, and then we call someone an idiot for spending a few hundred bucks on an antenna.

Jim
WD5JKO

May be 'normal' for some....

I have never spent more than $5k  for a vehicle. I would never buy a new car anyway.
Never more than $175 for a new TV.
Never more than $700 for any single piece of radio related gear.

Do I still think spending $500 for a wire antenna is stupid?  YOU BET!

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »

Considering the OCF dipole will work no better (and probably worse) than a fan dipole (that can be built for probably well less than $100), the $500+ price tag is a rather poor value. Also consider no one will be building their own SUV, no matter the cost. Building your own dipole can be done by nearly anyone.

I don't believe the Buckmaster OCF is a good deal because the internal balun dealing with reactive loads will not likely survive high power AM. Other store bought options might include this antenna that has a very large balun:

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ocf_dipole.htm

Jim
WD5JKO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »

For some people, running out to buy the wire, go find some insulators to buy, go find some coax or ladder line to buy, maybe a balun to buy or making a balun, measuring, assembling, soldering, taping or whatever, the pruning if too long, testing, and, then the "Oh heck! I pruned it to short", now have to cut, assemble, and solder more wire, is more of hassle then its worth. Buying a fully assembled antenna and feedline that can cover multiple bands and has received positive reviews from other customers, plus with people's busy schedules, is far more attractive and worth the cost. Time and the ability to erect and use without a lot of hassle, is probably worth more to people then trying to save a few bucks.

Sometimes it pays to be cheap; sometimes it's better to just smell and enjoy the roses.

KF1Z

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »

That may be Pete.... to the people that value things that way.
If you value  one, or two hours at the most of your time at more than $500, then fine, go for it!

Myself, I'd spend 8 hours a day, for a week working on that antenna before I'd shell $500 for it. Maybe even 2 weeks.

I am not in the class that can call $500  " a few bucks ", and never will be. I suppose that's one reason it shocks me to think anyone would stoop so low as to actually buy one of these.

Also, seeing that these OCF dipoles are widely available at 1/10th the cost, and likely comparable quality, it still leaves me wondering ...........
The only possible difference being the size of the Bal-Un . ...  that certainly isn't worth an extra $450 bucks in my book.

As for the "reviews" , well, I myself throw out at least 90% of "reviews", unless it can be shown  that the person writing it has a clue as to what they're talking about.

("Vista" had great reviews when it was first being released!)

btw:
Installing an OCF dipole may relieve you of the actual assembly.
But you MUST install it at exactly the right height (very low to the ground) or you WILL have to trim and/or add wire.
(Then you still need a tuner to cover the entire band(s) it is designed for.)

All boils down to how people value themselves I guess. Spending money, for those that have it, IS easier than thinking, and connecting 2 or 3 wires together...
 Grin

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:43:49 PM »

Myself, I'd spend 8 hours a day, for a week working on that antenna before I'd shell $500 for it. Maybe even 2 weeks.

I think the one thing everyone failed to  ask themselves is, do the people who buy these antennas have the knowledge to build one? Know where to find the formulas for doing so?

I keep hearing about how the examinations to get you ham license has been dumb ed down so perhaps they couldn't make an antenna if they wanted too and this may be the target market of this seller? How can we find out how his sales are doing? Do we look him up in the state where he lives to see if he has a DBA or a Small corporation?  I need a new BMW, maybe this is the way to get one Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wire antennas are fun Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »

I think the one thing everyone failed to  ask themselves is, do the people who buy these antennas have the knowledge to build one? Know where to find the formulas for doing so?

And, do they have a source for wire and what type, where to buy the insulators, cable or ladder line, can they solder, do they know how to weatherproof connections, do they have measuring tools for antenna trimming. For some, this is not a trivial exercise nor a productive use of one's time and energy.

I keep hearing about how the examinations to get you ham license has been dumb ed down so perhaps they couldn't make an antenna if they wanted too and this may be the target market of this seller? How can we find out how his sales are doing? Do we look him up in the state where he lives to see if he has a DBA or a Small corporation?  I need a new BMW, maybe this is the way to get one Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wire antennas are fun Grin Grin Grin

As you look down the eHam list of small and large wire antenna manufacturers, it seems obvious that there is a definite market for this stuff. One might not agree with a particular manufacturers pricing, but if you're not in the market to buy, why would one care.

Why would amateurs buy a $3K, $5K, $7K, or $10K rig when, for a few hours, weeks, or years worth of work, they could probably whip one together with basement parts and parts from a Mouser or Digi-Key catalog.

John Holotko

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:43 AM »

500 bucks for a wire dipole Huh  Huh Huh. Less the coax ?? Incredulous !!  No Thanks !! 'll stick to my telegraph wire, ladder line , and link coupled tuner.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »

And, do they have a source for wire and what type, where to buy the insulators, cable or ladder line, can they solder, do they know how to weatherproof connections, do they have measuring tools for antenna trimming. For some, this is not a trivial exercise nor a productive use of one's time and energy.

As you look down the eHam list of small and large wire antenna manufacturers, it seems obvious that there is a definite market for this stuff. One might not agree with a particular manufacturers pricing, but if you're not in the market to buy, why would one care.

Why would amateurs buy a $3K, $5K, $7K, or $10K rig when, for a few hours, weeks, or years worth of work, they could probably whip one together with basement parts and parts from a Mouser or Digi-Key catalog.

Pete, sounds like a pretty desperate justification  Wink  The thing that makes this a hobby or one of them, is making your own stuff.  If every single thing is plug and play, then it's no longer a hobby, it's just another consumer electronics entertainment.   If a ham doesn't have time to make a dipole, what does he have time for?   Building the dipole or anything else, isn't supposed to be this hurdle to hurry though as a waste of time, it is supposed to be an activity to be enjoyed on its own merits.   The necessary materials are all over the place at any big box store.  A dipole isn't rocket science demanding exotic unobtainium parts.   So Joe Ham doesn't know how to make one.   One of the other points of the hobby is to teach and provide learning opportunities.   Or is everyone supposed to just pass a license test, and never learn anything else again?  Well, anyway, thank you for the entertaining contrarian point of view  Grin 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »

500 bucks for a wire dipole Huh  Huh Huh. Less the coax ?? Incredulous !!  No Thanks !! 'll stick to my telegraph wire, ladder line , and link coupled tuner.

The Buckmaster is a lot more than a wire dipole since it has 8 bands with low SWR and no tuner. I agree that a balanced feedline with link coupled tuner would be lowest loss. Problem is most store bought tuners have the balun on the wrong side (output), so they fry when the load is too reactive.

The $526 price were all balking at is for the 5KW 160-6m antenna with an included 6:1 balun.

Comparing the Buckmaster with the Array Solutions OCF dipole, there are some big differences. The Buckmaster antenna must be installed as described, or the balun will fry at high power. See quote below. With the Array Solutions antenna they say the built in ATU in transceivers can be used, and for high power, an external tuner is needed. They go a step further and state this for 15M where the SWR will be about 8:1. They guarantee their balun for any situation except lightning. Notice the balun link where this one is 4:1 instead of 6:1 (Buckmaster).

Maybe the classic 4:1 that Array Solutions uses is more stout than a 6:1 design, but the compromise is higher SWR with 4:1 with OCF, whereas the 6:1 provides a better match but is more fragile to mismatch?

"Check the SWR always BEFORE using with any antenna tuner (we don't recommend an antenna tuner). It only takes overheating the Ferrite in the balun one time to change its characteristics."

Array Solutions:

OCF Dipole:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ocf_dipole.htm#top of page
look at the balun used:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/baluns.htm#4:1 balun

"80m to 6m - Should work with standard transceivers with a built in ATU.              30m and 15m - with external tuner and at full rated power.  3KW and 5 KW"

Jim
WD5JKO
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »

I think it's related to the fact that it's a bit more difficult to build your own SUV or flat screen TV than it is to fabricate a simple dipole.  Wink  There have been similar threads on the wisdom of paying thousands for a new plastic radio.

Now, those 'homebrew' dipoles, OTOH.....that's something, right thar.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »

Gee I'll build the dipole and help you put it up for $500.
Multiple antennas and phased array I can do discounts
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015