The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edit window text "jumps" when typing characters after a certain number of lines  (Read 20187 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »

There is a problem with the textarea code, and the problem is apparently an issue involving IE8.  From what I've researched, there is a correction which can be made in the BBS code to correct the problem.

The problem is this (and I'm sure someone else must have seen it):  When adding or modifying or replying to a post, once a certain number of lines have been typed (or quoted) into the textarea box, the textarea box will scroll after every character is typed, and the text you just typed will not be visible (it will be scrolled out of view).

There is a discussion of this, and I believe a fix here:  http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1757835&hilit=text+jumps+top

This is has been going on for a LONG time, but I figured I'd mention it - someone else must be seeing this problem.

Let me know if help is needed of if you need more information !

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »

TNX Steve, we'll take a look at it.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »

This issue has been mentioned and discussed numerous times over the years generally in posts unrelated to this actual issue.
It's a function of using I.E. (it's happened with every version all the way back to I.E. 5),  hence the notation on the left side of the screen Best Viewed with FireFox. I believe it starts jumping after line 11 or line 13.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »

This issue has been mentioned and discussed numerous times over the years generally in posts unrelated to this actual issue.
It's a function of using I.E. (it's happened with every version all the way back to I.E. 5),  hence the notation on the left side of the screen Best Viewed with FireFox. I believe it starts jumping after line 11 or line 13.

It is an IE issue, but I believe there is a server-side workaround.  FireFox has its bugs too (believe me as an IT person, I see them!)   Wink  Just not that one!

I have not tested this with Google Chrome, which looks pretty good from what I've see of it.  Anyway, if it's possible to work around it, that would be great!

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »

The link you provided is for phpBB. This site uses SMF.

I've tested the site with Firefox (and several other Mozilla variants), Safari, Opera and Chrome. The jumping text is not a problem with those browsers.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »

I only found the problem with I.E. As you point out, the others are fine.

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

It would be nice if someone could fix the problem.  I hate Firefox and other browsers because I had more trouble with them than IE.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »

It WAS fixed for a while, then the big overhaul , last year? year before? is when it resurfaced.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »

Yep, using IE for short posts is no problem, but when doing an old buzzard, it gets near to impossible to type towards the end due to the latency and page jumping.  Editing a long post is the same.  

I'm not complaining cuz the solution is to "select all" and copy paste it to the word processer for the long ones.  Then do your thing and paste it back.  But if it gets fixed, then FB.

BTW, is there a way to turn on the spell checker when typing a post here?  Gary once told me it was here, but I never saw the option in the preferences or profile pages...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 08:08:31 PM »

I enabled the spell check.  There was a note in the control panel "does not work well with all servers" so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone has issues please let me, Steve, or Todd know.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

Doesn't Windows have a built-in spell checker now?
K5WLF
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »

I use Firefox under Linux, and something has been spell checking when I post here. I figured it was the forum software and thought it odd that some of the commonly used radio words were flagged. But, since W3JN just enabled the forum spell checker, I guess it must be Firefox that's doing the checking.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »

Testing the spel chacker.

T

Update: So solly - it let those words thru.  I wonder if anyone knows how to activate IE spell checker for use here? It already works under WinWord.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »

As far as I can tell, I. E. never came with a spell checker. Firefox does have one and its automatically turned on when you first installed Firefox. However, you can manually toggle it off or on.
For an I.E. spell checker you could look into this: http://www.iespell.com/download.php or just simply Google I.E. spell checker and review your other choices.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »

I enabled the spell check.  There was a note in the control panel "does not work well with all servers" so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone has issues please let me, Steve, or Todd know.

If you eenabled spell check, it doesn't worrk in I.E. whhich I amm uusing noow.

In Firefox, spell checker generally is turned on when you install it, so enabling the board spell checker is a non issue.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »

If you're using I.E. and you respond to someone's long post by quoting it, instead of starting your response below the quoted post, start it at the top of the quoted post. I just played with a long quoted post to respond to, and by adding my comments above the quoted message, I was able to get 50 plus typed lines there without any line bounce.

Again using, I.E., if you don't quote any previous message, and just type a message, there should be no bounce for a typical 10, 20, 40, 60, line old buzzard response. I just did one using I.E. and it was 62 lines with no bounce.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »

If you're using I.E. and you respond to someone's long post by quoting it, instead of starting your response below the quoted post, start it at the top of the quoted post. I just played with a long quoted post to respond to, and by adding my comments above the quoted message, I was able to get 50 plus typed lines there without any line bounce.

Again using, I.E., if you don't quote any previous message, and just type a message, there should be no bounce for a typical 10, 20, 40, 60, line old buzzard response. I just did one using I.E. and it was 62 lines with no bounce.

It's not the end of the world of course, but there really is a server-side work around for this problem.  I just wrote a very complex "on-the-fly HTML generator" database application (in C in this case).  Of course, I found numerous browser problems - problems with all browsers AND among various versions of browsers.  For example, there are LOTS of people still using IE6 out there, and there is a problem in IE6 with certain types for formatting.  Looks great in all other browsers.  I worked around the problem in my code so it would display correctly on the [buggy] IE6 because I can't in good faith tell my users to change their computing environment when there was a workaround - anyway, just an example of the numerous bugs that lurk in the stuff we use every day  Cool

Please don't think I'm trying to P & M, because you folks who run this BBS do a fantastic job, and being in both system administration and engineering myself, these types of dumb but annoying little problems are a PITA.  But, if there's any way we can get the workaround here on this BBS, that would be great!  If you need another pair of hands (so to speak) to help fix the problem, let me know and I might be able to help out.  I would need access to your specific BBS source code on your server so I can see exactly what you're running.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »

It's not limited to this site either. Facebook has the same problem. When I know I'm gonna ol' buzzard a response I'll type it up in Word or some other processor and copy n' paste it into the reply field. Saves time and keyboards.
I can't use anything else here at work than what I.T. provides!
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

Just keep the posts short! NO OLD BUZZARDS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015