The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For you gearheads and car guys out there................................  (Read 76975 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: January 08, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »

Here are 2 pretty nice engine quizzes, try 'em and see hou you do!!

I aced this one:

http://www.americantorque.com/view_qs/engine-id/

And I missed one on this one:

http://www.americantorque.com/view_qs/60s-V8-engine-ID/

How well did you do.....................................................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

I guess I'm out of my league with those 'spark plug thingies'

Most of my toys have Rootes blowers and injectors....

73DG

* images.jpg (70.5 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 915 times.)

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »

You the Man, I only got 5 and 4. I've never even SEEN a studebaker engine!

Guess I'll stick to Chevys.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »

I'm humbled...7 & 7. Guess the memory is going.
KC2TAU

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

13 out of 17 on the first and 16 out of 19 on the second. Thanks for the links,it was very interesting seeing what my mind picked out first when it came to picking out items on each engine that would help me identify it.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »

12/17 on the first one, only 9/19 on the second. I only messed with Chevy so I am happy for what I got. Never found out why the dip stick was changed for the early Chevy elephant. A pretty neat looking motor. My friend has a 409, had a blast working on that one. Damn that stupid carrier bearing in the drive train!

Those pix or the rusty rat rods make me want to get one.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »

73DG

Oh yeah ya like your two stroke diesels? Awesome  Wink Me too.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »

10/19 on second.

One person I met in high school was a kid whose father started the PA Sturdevant torque wrench company. I suspect he had a few bucks.

He had a late 1960s 426 Hemi powered Dodge Power Wagon..He put on quite a show lighting up all four tires.

Another acquaintance drove his dad's Blue '67 427 Impala. Or his own '68 Z-28 Camaro convert. Orange stripes over white. One beautiful car.

I'd kill for either one today.

I had a '67 GTO...The cops would swing by every Saturday night at Sandy's drive in and ask us why we were flipping over the lids on our carb air cleaners- LOL.

My brother had a '68 Chevelle that he dropped a 454 in. And a '67 Corvair with a 350 in where the back seat was. Looked totally stock, except for the side exhausts.  I'd kill for that car today, too!

OTOH, my chipped 7.3L turbo diesel pickup boogies pretty well.

Thanks for the mammaries.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »

I got two wrong on each. Interesting one Ford picture I saw made me remember skinning my hand on that weird bracket you had to lift up to tighten the belt. A couple good guesses I made were based on stuff in the engine compartment.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »

And a '67 Corvair with a 350 in where the back seat was. Looked totally stock, except for the side exhausts.  I'd kill for that car today, too!

Hi Bill,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on these matters, but how did he fit a 350 in that rear-engined Corvair? I didn't know that could be done.

Thanks!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »

"You got 13 right out of 17."

Where's International Harvester.

No Aluminum Buicks?

K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:22 PM »

Bruce... You could turn the transaxle around and use a adapter plate. www.v8vairs.com

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:16 PM »

When I lived in l.A. my neighbor had a 350 in a Vega. He took me for a ride once. The whole body twisted like a beer can every time he punched it.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »

Bruce... You could turn the transaxle around and use a adapter plate. www.v8vairs.com

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information and the link.

I had no idea guys were doing these kinds of extensive mods to Corvairs. The website shows a number of Corvairs that were converted to water pumper rear engine and mid-engine configurations.

I remember the running joke about Corvairs back in the 1960s and 1970s (even though GM discontinued the car in 1969); they always marked their spot where the car was parked. Chronic oil leak issues.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:14 AM »

73DG

12V-71 Detroits are way kool. that one prolly sounds real good with those pipes.
there will always be a warm spot in my heart for 2-stroke Detroit Diesels. that is the first street rod I have ever seen with one!!

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »

12/17 on the first one, only 9/19 on the second. I only messed with Chevy so I am happy for what I got. Never found out why the dip stick was changed for the early Chevy elephant. A pretty neat looking motor. My friend has a 409, had a blast working on that one. Damn that stupid carrier bearing in the drive train!

I never understood why they did it that way, but with the 348 / 409 series, one had the dipstick tube going into the block at the deck surface and the other had a long tube that took it all the way down to the pan.  Huh  Huh

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:27 AM »

12/17 on the first one
12/19 on the second one

I'm pretty poor on GM engines, but did well on the early Mopars, Studebakers, etc.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »

11/17 and 11/19.  Interesting.....should have included some old in-line stuff, like Chevy/GMC stovebolts, etc. 

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »

11/17 and 11/19.  Interesting.....should have included some old in-line stuff, like Chevy/GMC stovebolts, etc. 
73,  Jack, W9GT

I think it is definately more Hot Rod oriented, But..................
It would be pretty neat if they threw in some Model As, Ts, 4-cyl chevys and other wierd and unusual stuff. Maybe a Lincoln Zephyr V-12 or a vintage Cadillac V-16!!

Screw the sheetmetal, I just cant help it, I'm an engine kind of guy!!

Here is one for youse guys!! Who knows what the difference between a Ford model "A" engine and a model "B" engine is??

OR

What year did Ford come out with the V8-60 flathead V8??

OR

What year did Chrysler first come out with the "A series" Hemi and what was it's displacement??

K7LYF

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »

Who knows what the difference between a Ford model "A" engine and a model "B" engine is??
A and B engines are the same displacement at 200 CID. The A engine has gravity fed mains and splash for the con rod lubrication. The B engine has larger size journals for mains and rods, plus the mains are pressure fed.
                                                 OR

V8 60 introduced in 1937 and ran through approximately 1940. This was not a real popular engine as every one was already used to the 85 HP version. It was used in quite a few of the midget racers.

mike
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

IIRC early Hemi was 331 C.I.1951 same as someone elses from 1949 maybe Olds.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 05:53:14 PM »

331 is also my guess.

I think the P&W wasp was a hemi
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

I tied the OP, blew the Stude in the 2nd round.

Grew up with that stuff and had many. A few I just voted based on the block color as the stockers were in a color rut.

Shuda had a test with all the variations of the Ford/Merc V-8 flathead......thats my favorites.
Model A's are for dropping a 59A block into.

Carl
KL7OF

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »

Who knows what the difference between a Ford model "A" engine and a model "B" engine is??
A and B engines are the same displacement at 200 CID. The A engine has gravity fed mains and splash for the con rod lubrication. The B engine has larger size journals for mains and rods, plus the mains are pressure fed.
                                                 OR

V8 60 introduced in 1937 and ran through approximately 1940. This was not a real popular engine as every one was already used to the 85 HP version. It was used in quite a few of the midget racers.

mike
The Funk Airplane Used the model "B" ford engine, upside down of course,because of its pressure fed mains.....The flying Funk......The Funk brothers also made adaptor kits to put the flathead ford 6 and flathead ford v8 in the 2N,9N,8N ford tractors......
K7LYF

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »

The Funk Airplane Used the model "B" ford engine, upside down of course,because of its pressure fed mains.....The flying Funk......The Funk brothers also made adaptor kits to put the flathead ford 6 and flathead ford v8 in the 2N,9N,8N ford tractors......

This engine would have required crankshaft modifications to pressurize the rod throws as the original B engine, like the A engine is a splash system for the rod throws. I would be interested in any information confirming the fact these engines were run upside down....

mike
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015