The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM community site for Facebook users  (Read 36913 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

The other side of the coin is forums that are over moderated. These tend to reach a peak and then slowly wither and die. The key is to find a balance somewhere between the two extremes. My gut feeling is this is easier said than done.

I think this one has been fined tuned and will be around for a long time. It's just an OK FINE bunch of guys in here now . I say FB to our fearless leaders Wink Wink

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2ZFA

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »

I think this one has been fined tuned and will be around for a long time. It's just an OK FINE bunch of guys in here now . I say FB to our fearless leaders Wink Wink

I fully agree. And I have to say that what distinguishes AMFone is the willingness of
the mods to disappear threads that show clear signs they're going to degenerate.
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »

Well it's not something setup to just "go away".  It's simply a place to archive and showcase.

Yes, that's exactly it, the Internet, like radio itself, evolves...the old gets pushed aside, the new, more functional comes on the scene, finds favor for a bit, then too takes it's own place at be back of the bus. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the natural order of things.

Some time ago, the AM Window was the focus, then came AM Fone, just wait, the next incarnation will be up around the corner. It's really not so important exactly what that new form is, but I rather think the key thing is to not just read and then discard information, but rather as John puts it, to "archive and showcase", allowing it to serve as a reference to those looking back. That is one thing I greatly appreciate about the AM Window, that Steve kept it up so we could all look back...

As one deeply interested in radio history, websites like the AM Window, AM Fone, and yes even the humble AM Buffalo have become the Radio News, Short Wave Craft and QST of our day. Like its paper counterparts, this electronic media is volatile, not so much by dust or damp, but rather by neglect. While our own individual archives may be far too disparate to effectively search 25, 30 or 50 years in the future, a mirror of the AM Window and AM Fone sites will not.

In due time AM Fone will too be eclipsed by the next greatest thing, it may be Facebook, or something we haven't even heard of yet...the only constant is change. The key thing, in this ham's view, is to archive the material, so even when the "next great thing" comes along, we can all look back on where we've been. That is going to be the great challenge for the current group entrusted with this page, they too will be replaced or move aside in due time, again the only constant - change, the prime challenge is to keep the fundamental knowledgebase we've created intact. I see AM Fone as a tremendous reference, a Encyclopedia of sorts, a brain trust for a specific slice of the amateur radio community, and each and every one of us is a stakeholder in that knowledgebase.
KD0HUX

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

ANOTHER WAY 2 KEEP THE AM MODE ALIVE Grin
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »

Hi Brian.  As far as forums go, I always thought these here amfone.net forums are everything we need.  I love the stuff on your site, but I think most of the online AM community posts here.  It's established and well kept and has so much great techincal information already archived and continuously being added too.

What did you have in mind for another set of forums?  Maybe I'm missing something and it's focus would be something different that what is here?

The Facebook AM community is not really focused on discussion forums.  I don't think it's in anyway competing with this place.  It is there to showcase and highlight and expose others to AM.  The focus is more for collecting media and updating the community.  Facebook works well for media sharing.

Nevertheless, I'm going to go check it out and I'll let you know what I think.

That's my opinion and feedback and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

John

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »

Brian, I just went take a look.  I DO like the way you have a separate forum for each band.  That is a great idea.  Maybe another idea could be a forum for each brand/type of popular transmitter/receivers.  Like EF Johnson, Heathkit, Elmac, National, Knight, QRP, Flex... etc etc.

That's more of my feedback and worth every penny you paid for it.   Cool

John

AMI#1684
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

Even the Class-E AM forum has "gone to the back of the bus"...

People just post their class-e stuff here now.

Just the way it is.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »

Didn't say it would "go away.."...
MAybe it will flourish and be the next big thing!

Just saying that after a while, interests change, other "big things" come along...
People don't make as many posts...

That's all.....

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »

I think you will discover in time the one I just created isn't going away

Unsinkable Titanic........ 1000 Year Richt ........ Gilligan's permanent glue........
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »

" ........ Gilligan's permanent glue........ "

I thought it was Oscar and his dentist.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015