The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: saw true grit with my dad today.  (Read 23432 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »

Okay.  Saw the movie tonight.  Two thumbs up.  Cool

AMI#1684
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 01:02:34 AM »

Yeah.. Jeff bridges is fricken awesome in that movie. 

C
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »

Little original coming out of Hollywood - mostly remakes (usually poor) and movies made from old TV shows or comic books. Lame.

Jeff Bridges will never overcome his horrible roll in Tron.  His acting in this True Grit remake is pretty poor too. He's trying too hard to be gruff. It comes off as silly and over done.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »

It's Steve against the world!! Lol
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »

Yep, Jeff Bridges is in the same category as John Wayne. Keep fooling yourself OM! LOL indeed.

It's Steve against the world!! Lol
W2ZE
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:04 AM »

My folks recently purchased a 55" LED 1080p and it looks great except for high motion scenes which tend to chop a little.  Don chimed in that he believes it more likely to be the TV quality as opposed to the medium delivering the content (HD cable or Blueray).  Any thoughts there?

It is the processor rate. if you have a 120Hz, you probably will get that. Example is a football game or a hockey game. If you watch the ball as its thrown, you will see pixelation around the ball.

I havea 52" Panasonic 480Hz. Much better when it comes to watching sporting events.

mike
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »

Steve said:
Little original coming out of Hollywood - mostly remakes (usually poor) and movies made from old TV shows or comic books. Lame.

My sentiments exactly. Nothing original.

Steve also said:
Jeff Bridges will never overcome his horrible roll in Tron.

Which reinforces the first statement. "Tron: Legacy" ring a bell? Nothing original. Just a constant rehash of old themes. So what's next, "McClintock"?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »

I saw the original True Grit in 1969, and occasionally watched the TV reruns.  I liked the original a lot.  Then I saw the new one last Sunday, and liked it as much as the original.  I was comparing the old vs new, and some of the dialog from the old version was identical to the new....and some wasn't.  I did like the difference in the ending.  The new ending was completely different than the old.  I won't go into detail in respect for those who want to go see the new version, and I don't want to spoil it.

Its a really good western yarn, and Jeff Bridges nails the Rooster Cogburn character differently, but just as good as JW.

Ted  W8IXY
K5WLF
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »

I've never "un-liked" a John Wayne movie, but the original True Grit was the closest I've ever come. The only thing that made it bearable was the Duke himself.

I was motivated to see the new version by some of the comments on here and a review I read which said that "it's as if the Coen Brothers are saying, 'OK, you've seen the movie, now see the book'". That, and a call from some friends today inviting me to join them, put me in the theater at 1400 CST.

Positively brilliant! It's enjoyable, it's gritty (no pun intended) and the performances are outstanding. Finally, a Mattie Ross we can believe, a La Boeuf that isn't Glen Campbell (always a plus) and Jeff Bridges at his finest. Don't miss this one.

I hope this is an indication of more westerns to come out of Hollywood. The Western is the highest form of filmic art, you know.

Happy New Year!

ldb
K5WLF
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »

The Western is the highest form of film art, you know.

Happy New Year!

ldb
K5WLF

Agreed. We saw the Shootist on the big screen when it was released, John Wayne's last film, and it was excellent. Even though was missing a lung and several ribs by then. I heard recently the the film makers couldn't get insurance to cover him for the movie.

There will never be another John Wayne, but Bridges fills the role quite well.

If you have read the biography of Billy the Kid, I think Johnny Depp could do quite well in any movie made about him.

From Wikipedia:

One widely reported characteristic of McCarty  ()Billy the Kid) has stood the test of research: his personal charisma and popularity. Various accounts recorded by friends and acquaintances describe him as fun-loving and jolly, articulate in both his writing and his speech, and loyal to those for whom he cared,  He was fluent in Spanish, popular with Latina girls, an accomplished dancer, and thus especially well-loved within the territory's Hispanic community. There, he was regarded as a champion of the oppressed."His many Hispanic friends did not view him as a ruthless killer but rather as a defender of the people who was forced to kill in self-defense."

If I was writing a Western, he would be my next candidate to cover.

I've been to Lincoln, NM. What a history down there. What a neat place. We have almost thought of retiring down there.

Frank Coe, who rode as a Regulator, recalled years after the Kid's death: "I never enjoyed better company. He was humorous and told me many amusing stories. He always found a touch of humor in everything, being naturally full of fun and jollity. Though he was serious in emergencies, his humor was often apparent even in such situations. Billy stood with us to the end, brave and reliable, one of the best soldiers we had. He never pushed in his advice or opinions, but he had a wonderful presence of mind. The tighter the place the more he showed his cool nerve and quick brain. He never seemed to care for money, except to buy cartridges with. Cartridges were scarce, and he always used about ten times as many as everyone else. He would practice shooting at anything he saw, from every conceivable angle, on and off his horse.

I am waiting for that flick!

In 2010, Bill Richardson considered pardoning, posthumously, McCarty for his role in the death of a law enforcement officer. The pardon was considered to be following through on a purported promise was made by then Governor Lew Wallace 130 years ago. However, a pardon for him would be reprehensible as he murdered three law enforcement officers.

On December 31, 2010, on the last day of his term, NM Gov. Bill Richardson announced his decision not to pardon McCarty citing "historical ambiguity" surrounding the conditions of the deal surrounding pardon.

I have found aged campfires here on the HG Radio Ranch. Old enough so that moss has grown over the burned rocks. And I have found a few Paper 10 gauge shotgun cartridges. The campfires were a long time ago; the Old West is all real to me.

Here's one story I liked. Back in the late 1800s, gunslingers would only load 5 cartridges in a 6-shooter. The gun's hammer would sit on an empty chamber, so that dropping it wouldn't cause it to accidentally fire. ( I do that with my .357 mag) Billy was playing cards in a saloon with a drunk that kept saying he could blow him away. Billy asked to see his revolver, and he turned the cylinder so that the next shot would be on the empty cylinder. Returning the gun to the braggart, he announced who he was.

Guess who lost the subsequent exchange of gunfire..
W7POW

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »

Jeff Bridges will never overcome his horrible roll in Tron.  His acting in this True Grit remake is pretty poor too. He's trying too hard to be gruff. It comes off as silly and over done.

BS!!!!
K5WLF
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 03:01:23 AM »

If you have read the biography of Billy the Kid, I think Johnny Depp could do quite well in any movie made about him.

I'd have to agree with that. Johnny Depp would be an excellent choice to play Billy. And maybe either Sam Elliott or Tom Selleck as Pat Garrett? How old was Garrett at the time of the alleged event?

One of the theories about Billy the Kid is that he wasn't really killed by Pat Garrett, but rather got away and spent the rest of his life under the name of Brushy Bill Roberts in Hico, Texas. Hico is about 20 miles south of Stephenville (where I live) and has a small museum there about Billy/Brushy Bill. It's pronounced "Hy-co", BTW, not "Hicco" as a Skywarn volunteer at NWS Fort Worth did during a severe WX event last year  Grin

Happy New Year!

ldb
K5WLF
John K5PRO

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 05:06:03 AM »

Continuing on the BtK thread, Lincoln is indeed an interesting village. I read a rather academic history of the Lincoln County war that explained how they got into such a bad way there. I spend a lot of time in Lincoln County each summer, in the next village of Ft. Stanton and in Capitan. We have a large cave project there that is under exploration and mapping, my 'other' pastime. Sometimes I feel like the Kid ought to be still running around in the country there.

I'm glad our former governor didn't pardon the dude.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015