The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:17:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And your real problem is....  (Read 31908 times)
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »

I echo what Tom said about regularly changing fluids.

I find that many AT tranny valve problems are a result of varnish forming on the valves and the bores due to oxidized ATF.

I have made it a practise to change ATF and filters every 30,000 miles in spite of the so-called "Lifetime" fluids. Fluids are much cheaper than tranny rebuilds.

I have had no tranny problems with high mileage vehicles doing this.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WA1GFZ

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

I am guilty of not changing my fluid but it never smelled bad.
I'll adjust that habit after yesterday's bill.
I changed the fluid and filter at 100K in my old '88 which had the big transmission. I felt it a waste of time since the filter was clean and fluid fine. There was just a thin film of metal filings sitting on the pan floor that were not going anywhere.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:01 PM »

My '62 Imperial had the pushbutton transmission, but no park position.  There was a foot-operated parking brake that, as you mentioned, operated on the transmission tailstock. 

Wow, much later than I had imagined. Dad's '50 Lincoln has the GM automatic which also lacks park, it has the big 'T' shaped handle beneath the dash that you just yank up then twist to lock. I just chuckled to picture Ford buying transmissions from GM back then since they didn't have an automatic ready for prime time.

Back when I was doing the road rally thing, we used to drain the fluid, fill with stock fluid and run it for a few days, then drain, fill with a synthetic and go. I used Red Line, AMSoil was another popular choice later. Granted, they were standard transmission cars but we pounded the pss outta them and never had a transmission failure.

Count your blessings, Frank: you could be driving an Audi, which would involve similarly-priced repairs to one system or another almost monthly. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »

Tonight John KC2FXE was just telling me about Dextron 6 trans fluid being full synthetic. I bet my guy just put the required DEX 3 fluid in my box. It showed 12 quarts on the bill. I need to call him monday and ask if it is OK to mix two different types. John said it takes the heat much better.

Todd, I wouldn't own a HOS yuppie mobile that had that kind of repair history. This is my first big repair bill in 45 years.
KL7OF

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »

In 1967 I had a 63 plymouth sport fury 383 wedge running AHRA e-stock formula 2 automatic...I built a clutch flite transmission...a cast iron torqueflite that I sawed the front off and tapped it out and put on a scattershield...had a clutch plate that was splined to the automatic input shaft...Launched it with the clutch and shifted it manually with a typewriter pushbutton setup...Ran under the nat'l record with a B&M valve body and 8  inch wrinklewalls....Tough tranny but the input shaft took a beating......I ran tractor hydraulic fluid....
WQ9E

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »

Tonight John KC2FXE was just telling me about Dextron 6 trans fluid being full synthetic. I bet my guy just put the required DEX 3 fluid in my box. It showed 12 quarts on the bill. I need to call him monday and ask if it is OK to mix two different types. John said it takes the heat much better.

Dex VI is compatible with units requiring the previous spec Dex III and the old III should be pretty much disappearing from shelves since GM moved to VI in 2006.  Dexron VI is a synthetic blend and not a full synthetic, I researched this since the Allison auto on my pickup came factory filled with Dexron VI but Allison still recommends TransSynD (which is a full synthetic) for severe usage. 

If it is full of Dexron III I would use more Dexron III for any needed small addition but next change you should move to Dexron VI.  Dex VI is supposed to be fully mixable with Dex III in older transmissions but you would gain no advantage from just adding a small amount of VI to the large amount of III already in there.  With either fluid, if your vehicle doesn't have the auxiliary air to fluid cooler (in addition to the heat exchanger in the radiator)  that would be a wise and low cost upgrade for longer life.

Here is the GM link that was released with the change:  www.gm.com/.../DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_30NO07.doc

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »

Thanks Roger. John also thought you could mix them. My heavy hauling days are almost over so this box should last a while.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015