The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And your real problem is....  (Read 31711 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: December 26, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »

Over the river and through the woods to grand pa's house we go the transmission craps out.
nothing above second gear slipping like a mo fo. so all this weirdness appears to be the transmission crapping out.
They only used the 4L60E in the 5.3L 1/2 ton pickups which is a modern TH350.
Well at least it didn't die when I was moving the 500 pound wood planer south at Thanksgiving
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »

will a TH400 fit? (or its modern computer ready equivalent)...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 12:09:59 PM »

Yup and it is called the 4L80 but not sure if it is an easy swap with interface electronics. A rebuilt 4L80 is about $500 more. If the Rebuild shop can do a swap for $500 more I'll go for it. I pass if it takes different electronics.
I'm almost done hauling heavy materials so may just have it rebuilt. I'll check my options in the morning when I call the rebuild shop. The onlly thing left to move is 1000 board feet of rough cut oak I plan to turn into trim.
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

Got to love it  Angry  Likely not on Electronic side of things..  ON the GM you get a 2nd gear manual shift and slid into high gear to get you home.. Sounds like the 3rd speed band and high gear clutch pack (or whatever accounts for the OD clutch on the 4 speeds)   In any event the the next hassle is finding a GOOD transmission shop.  There are plenty that tear down and replace only what is needed. Find the Rock solid local shop or use the dealer and get a true re-manufactured one.. Or at least one with the extended warranty.  Hard lesson learned on my end with a chevy van a few years back.. 3 transmissions later I finely got a good one and the owner after me is doing fine with it some 50,000 miles later - Steve

Steve - W1TAV
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »

YUP I'll second Steve.
A friend of mine who plows snow was leery on spending $2000 to rebuild his auto tranny 1998 Chevy Huh one of those huge SUV's (150,000 mi), but they said they would stand behind their work. This is total break down and ALL worn parts and bearings, seals replaced
They asked him to return in 2 months, or maybe 2000 miles, after the rebuild and said that the tranny is good to go. I guess draining the fluid and inspecting for particles or analyzing the fluid there........dunno.

Why do they call the oil in an automatic transmission fluid? And GEAR oil in a rear end. Would someone at Walmart put 10W30 to refill a rear end? OK I guess we don't mess with REAR ends anymore,,,,,,,,showing my age HA!
FRED

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »

This guy I want to use has been in business since '64 and sold the shop to a couple guys who worked for him. They do first rate work. They are also friends with my brother. They did a trans for my Father a while ago. Only problem is the 15 miles to get it there. I was working in a garage in the late '60s and knew the owner.
I found on the WWW about $1300 for the '60 and $1750 for the '80. Some crappy guarantees. One place wanted almost double price for 3 years guarantee. The thing is once you dip it in the tank and yank it apart doing a good job only takes a little time if you have the right tools. I watched a friend build one in about 20 minutes while we talked. Rebuild kit is only about $200. I bet the pump is crapped out which is a hunk of plastic impeller.
WB3LEQ

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »

Having nothing  more than second gear could mean one of those problematic computer controlled valves in the valve body has failed.  Take it to a shop that can pull the error codes which will indicate just this.  Been there and done that about 5 years ago with the 94 Caprice.  It should be around $3-400 to diagnose, buy and replace the valve at the GM Stealership.

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »

I wouldn't buy a lug nut from the local dealers. That is why I bought my Daughter's car in Ma. 20 miles away.
I can get it to shift into third but downshifts as soon as I give it any gas. It has been doing weird downshifts for a few weeks now. I'm sure the shop will check it out but sure seems like a pump problem.
WB3LEQ

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

I think you are running in what's call "limp mode" which was designed to get you home during a valve failure problem.  When the pump goes out it doesn't move because there isn't any pressure.  All of the error code info is stored in the computer.  The shop should have an error code reader to review the codes.  If the shop doesn't pull the codes without you suggesting then I would suggest finding another shop that does. 

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

TNX, The check engine light did come on after running in second gear for 10 miles.
That was the longest drive that motor ever made above 2000 RPM. I'll make sure it gets downloaded. I've worked it pretty hard but never abused it. GM has made a number of upgrades to the box since 2001. I remember the TH350 got mushy in my old Firebird at 150K.....That haul up Mt. Wilson playing road racer hurt it a bit.
My Dad had one go about 120K.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »

Frank said:
The thing is once you dip it in the tank and yank it apart doing a good job only takes a little time if you have the right tools.

Aint that the truth! I worked for my cousin at his shop. I tore down a powerglide. Very neat and easy to tear down and build up. It took longer to drop it than to rebuild it. Frank, if that were an older lash-up I would say there is a vacuum leak. Maybe drag you behind underneath and check all the connections. It might save you a few bux.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

I was under it this morning. No more vacuum modulator all electronic control.
A friend just turned me on to a good local shop so have two places to contact in the morning. looks like swapping to a 4L80E trans is a bit of big deal so might have to settle for the smaller box. I might be able to upgrade to a 4L65 though.
Gee I have a TH400 in the basement from my old 1974 Firebird that still worked fine when I pulled it at 155K. Maybe I can work a trade.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »

Well as fate would have it the guy who is 15 miles away thinks it could just be electrical sensor or control issue. $1900 for a rebuild. Local good guy said $2K and going up to a shop in Ma. is 1900 to 2700 if not electrical.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »

Well as fate would have it the guy who is 15 miles away thinks it could just be electrical sensor or control issue. $1900 for a rebuild. Local good guy said $2K and going up to a shop in Ma. is 1900 to 2700 if not electrical.

soundz like they got you bent over a barrel!! Shocked  Shocked

Dont ya just love General Motors............................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »

Slab said:
Dont ya just love General Motors

I always thought 'GM' stood for 'General Misery!' until I found out that FIAT stands for "Fix It Again, Tony!!!"  Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »

Found On Road Dead

RAM!  (speaks for itself)

DODGE ! ( also speaks for itself)

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

Fix Or Repair Daily

What? Me worry?
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »

Don't forget Ford didn't take any federal bailout money. That gets them my business. Wink

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »

In 10 years/125K miles. 1 front bearing, brake job, tires and a battery. I would consider that good quality. It has hauled a lot of weight.
I also like the Mercury my Dad left me. That is a real nice car.

My Boss owns a mopar and hates it. Every time he turns around something craps out.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »

Feeble Imitation At Transportation  Tongue

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »

' Don't forget Ford didn't take any federal bailout money. That gets them my business. Wink "

They didn't need it   .....   got all mine.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »

I have a 4L80e out in the garage on a pallet. Grabbed one out of a diesel cube van. The diesel ones have a stand alone controller that doesn't use the engine ECM. Chevy bell. I was going to put it in the 1980 Fleetwood behind a 500 C.I. Might never get to it at this rate.
Last year I dropped 2 grand on a transmission for the almost x YYL's car right around this time of the year. She totaled the car 2 weeks later. I bought the wreck back from Mr. Allstate.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 08:12:40 PM »

Found On Road Dead

RAM!  (speaks for itself)

DODGE ! ( also speaks for itself)

JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)

Bill KA8WTK
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »

Dave that is the one transmission to fit in anything. I read it is a very good box.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »

Yup. I have a nice collection of parts to put together. Even have a mid 70s port injected intake manifold for the Caddy 500.

I have a posi with 256 gears too.

Maybe I'll list all the stuff with the Cadillac Club of Australia. Worked last time.

Dave that is the one transmission to fit in anything. I read it is a very good box.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015