HG-10 VFO out issue's

<< < (2/4) > >>

KX5JT:
I too have an early HG-10 with my early DX-60.  I have noticed less grid drive on 80 meters.  I just compensate with the drive pot but I cannot hear the spotting heterodyne on 80 meters making it a PITA to use on the band. 

Could swapping those coils solve this problem too?

KK4RF:
Gentlemen:
     Interesting topic. I bought an old HG-10 vfo at a hamfest in September. It seems to work OK but I do have quite a hum with it when I use it with an old HW-16, which I don't have when I run the HW-16 with a crystal. My manual shows the plate choke to be a 28 uH unit. Think I will tear into the vfo and make the swap. By the way, I was impressed at just how well built the vfo was. It's a very solidly made vfo, frankly better than some of the competitors' vfos of the day. Enough said. Thanks again.   ---Marty, KK4RF---

W3GMS:
Marty & John,
I would swap the 2 chokes and I am sure you will have much more grid drive and better performance from a drive standpoint.  Mine was so bad that I could not get enough drive with the drive control turned all the way up on 80M. 

Pete,
I will send you an e mail....

Gary, W1GHW is going to send me some scope readings of his which appear to have the very low value inductor in the plate circuit.  I am sure it will look like mine that is wired per the manual but offers low drive on 80M to the DX-60. 

Very interesting find!

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS 

KK4RF:
Joe,
     I found a 1 mH choke in my junkbox and stuck it in. Did not touch the cathode choke. Left it alone. VfO works FB and my spotting signal now much louder on 80 meters. Formerly it was fairly quiet. I need to hook it up to my other HW-16 and see if the 40 meter hum disappeared. Anyway, I alerted the members of the YAHOO Group HW-16/HG-10 users group about this topic thread and I'm sure there will be quite a bit of interest in this topic. Thanks for your observations, Joe. ---Marty, KK4RF---

W0GSQ:
Tube substitution guide shows 6CU8 will sub for the stock 6CH8. It shows higher gain.
Pros, cons, yes, no, maybe?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands