The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:10:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stell Wire for Antenna  (Read 8152 times)
TA4AU
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

Hi all. Can i use Stell or steel alloy (copper+steel) wire for HF antenna. problem for conductor ? I want make steel because its strong. I find steel wire no problem but i think  steel alloy wire difficult to find.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »

Yes Mehmet, you can use either. 

Personally I prefer 'copper clad steel' or alloy since it has the strength of steel and the conducting properties of copper, while the copper also protects the steel from oxidizing.    Another common name for this wire is 'copperweld'. 

You can get this from most wire suppliers and large amateur suppliers.  The older open wire telephone lines use the same type of wire, though of fairly heavy gauge.  It is stiff and a bit hard to work but will stay up forever.  My first antenna was made from this telephone wire which I scavenged when they replaced the old wire on our farm.  Smiley

Good luck, Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »

A lot of the old open wire phone lines used galvanised steel wire, which was usually well rusted when the  took it down. I got about 7500' of #10 copperweld that was used for telegraph lines that ran along the train tracks.  Sulphur dioxide from the old coal burning steam locomotives would eat up steel wire in no time, but the copper cladding developed a green patina and lasted for years.

Later on, someone gave me several thousand more feet of #8 copperweld. I had already used up most of my #10 on various antenna projects and a ground radial system for the 160m inverted L  I had up before building the tower.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »

Hi Rasid!

How did you make out with your multi-band long wire antenna project? Is this wire for it?

Hope to work you on 40M soon. It was fun working you last year with WB3HUZ.

For anyone not familiar with Rasid in Turkey, here's a video he posted of us working him on 40M. Starting at about 0:25 seconds is the QSO with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvrMV6q5Lhs

Later -

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

Maybe this will help. don't know if you can order from here but it will give you some ideas on pricing etc.

http://www.thewireman.com/

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
TA4AU
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

Hi all Tnx for Reply. My long wire anntenna has about 47 meter long. And i setup it roof to roof about 90 Meter 300 Feet. I want Strong wire. Very good choice copper+steel  alloy mixture but very difficult find it Turkey. I find only steel wire and copper no problem find it. Can i use %100 Steel 1.5 or 2 mm. (16 or 12 AWG) Steel wire. I look on thewireman.com very good wires but i need info Post Ship Turkey ? i dont find any contact form.

Tom I dont forget this QSO. For me very important because my firsth qso in USA on 40 M. I love your Stack yagi system on 40 M. 2 X 2 X 2. Tom I want make this antenna http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=25721.0
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »

i need info Post Ship Turkey ? i don't find any contact form.

On the bottom of the page, click on ORDER DESK,That is on the home page and a form will come up then.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
TA4AU
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:02:44 PM »

Tnx this form not working with google chrome. Now i write firefox.
TA4AU
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:45:25 AM »

Can i use %100 Steel 1.5 or 2 mm. (16 or 12 AWG) Steel wire. Its any problem conductivity ?
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »

Hi Rashid

How about using the steel wire as a "messenger" wire. with the copper wire spiraled around it (maybe 1 turn per meter)?

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »

I picked up a big roll of TV cable last year at Dayton.  The vendor told me it was RG-6, but it looks like RG-6 on stereods. The coax is almost as big as RG-8, but typical RG-6 construction with the tinfoil shield under a sparse braid.  It has a messenger wire, which I may rip off if I don't use it suspended between supports.

I can't tell for sure if the messenger wire is bare steel or if it is zinc plated. It is covered with plastic, but I am wondering if exposed parts will rust.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
TA4AU
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »

Today i find galvanized steel wire and its take Solder. I think its good. Because my some friends make this wire antenna and working %100

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

The birds won't break that wire sitting on it!  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015