The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:33:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polarity  (Read 3824 times)
WA6YVV
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »

I just got a converted AM Cb from E bay, 29.005  MHz and up.
I am on a second floor apartment. I took 18 gauge covered solid wire and strung a dipole on my balcony.

It is strung Horizontal. I checked it out it seems to be working but I don't here a thing only the static from the radio.
My question is am I on the wrong polarity? Should I string my dipole Vertical?

Any help would be highly appreciated. One more thing,I bought a HTX-100 on E bay and it has a cracked LCD. Would anyone know where I could purchase a replacement,maybe even a generic one might work. It has 21 pins.

Thanks,Jim.
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »

Hi Jim..not 100% sure I can answer ur query..having spent a cycle or two on 29mhz AM all I can add is that I primarily use a yagi of course horizontally polarized..the contacts I've made locally were with mostly those also in horizontal..a very few on vertical..it's a mixed bag though on DX..I guess it would depend on ur local "activity" or lack of on which is better for you..don't be discouraged if nuttin heard..at this time it seems that section(29mhz) of the 10mtr band is hit or miss a lot..two days ago I heard two OMs in the 7th call district having a QSO..very weak unable to get the callsigns so I didn't report here..(by the way there's a section here in the QSO area dealing with just that..10mtr and 6mtr openings)......on ur other question..I assume you've contacted Radio Shack as to a possible replacement part available?..if no go suggest watching E-Pay as they DO show up there(the complete radio) from time to time........well I did say I wasn't 100% sure..oh yah welcome to the AM forum..nice place..nice people                  gud luk Jim    73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »

Horizontal is easier to feed in a balanced condition with a dipole.

Polarity isn't the problem. The trouble is lack of propagation. Keep listening with the squelch up.

GL/.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015