The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:42:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRO in the 445 nanometer band  (Read 21551 times)
KA1ZGC
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »

This got my attention when I discovered that Lucasfilm was threatening to sue these guys for making something that looks like a lightsaber:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

Well, good ol' George still owes me one for remaking "Star Wars" into just another computer-generated POS, so I ordered one immediately just to spite him.

Apparently, everyone else did, too. I placed the order in mid-July, and became part of a huge backlog. After several months clearing the backlog (and who knows how long clearing Customs), I got mine on Monday.

This is NOT A TOY. Those annoying laser pointers that people are altogether too reckless with are 5-10mW of red light. This is 1W of blue light. It is literally the most powerful battery-operated handheld laser you can buy. Class IV lasers aren't even legal in some countries. Australia, for example, has banned them outright.

To give you some idea, the spot from this laser is bright enough to cause permanent eye damage if viewed for more than a quarter-second within 200 meters without eye protection. The human eye can respond to overloads by basically releasing an opaque bleach to protect the retina, but for whatever reason this process doesn't get triggered by blue light. Think "arc welder".

Why would I buy something like this (besides the aforementioned contempt)? For the same reason I keep a butane soldering iron; when you're in the field and far away from the nearest power outlet, simply stopping work isn't an option.

It's a very powerful tool when used responsibly with respect for it's capabilities. Like a firearm, you simply never point it at anything you don't want to burn a hole in. Also like a firearm, it'll only take one moron to ruin things for us responsible adults who use this wisely.

If you heard about these lasers when they made the news over the summer, I can tell you they're real (after the long delay, I was starting to wonder, myself), and they work as advertised. They aren't pointers or leveling lasers, they're cutting/burning lasers. If you don't have a need for a cutting laser, this is NOT the laser for you! There are many more lasers out there that are far less dangerous.

If you do have a practical use for such a thing, it's a real and viable option.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »

This got my attention when I discovered that Lucasfilm was threatening to sue these guys for making something that looks like a lightsaber:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

Well, good ol' George still owes me one for remaking "Star Wars" into just another computer-generated POS, so I ordered one immediately just to spite him.

Apparently, everyone else did, too. I placed the order in mid-July, and became part of a huge backlog. After several months clearing the backlog (and who knows how long clearing Customs), I got mine on Monday.

This is NOT A TOY. Those annoying laser pointers that people are altogether too reckless with are 5-10mW of red light. This is 1W of blue light. It is literally the most powerful battery-operated handheld laser you can buy. Class IV lasers aren't even legal in some countries. Australia, for example, has banned them outright.

To give you some idea, the spot from this laser is bright enough to cause permanent eye damage if viewed for more than a quarter-second within 200 meters without eye protection. The human eye can respond to overloads by basically releasing an opaque bleach to protect the retina, but for whatever reason this process doesn't get triggered by blue light. Think "arc welder".

Why would I buy something like this (besides the aforementioned contempt)? For the same reason I keep a butane soldering iron; when you're in the field and far away from the nearest power outlet, simply stopping work isn't an option.

It's a very powerful tool when used responsibly with respect for it's capabilities. Like a firearm, you simply never point it at anything you don't want to burn a hole in. Also like a firearm, it'll only take one moron to ruin things for us responsible adults who use this wisely.

If you heard about these lasers when they made the news over the summer, I can tell you they're real (after the long delay, I was starting to wonder, myself), and they work as advertised. They aren't pointers or leveling lasers, they're cutting/burning lasers. If you don't have a need for a cutting laser, this is NOT the laser for you! There are many more lasers out there that are far less dangerous.

If you do have a practical use for such a thing, it's a real and viable option.

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught

The 2nd Amendment of the Constitution gives us the right to carry one of those bad boys for personal defense.
Better for a perp to be permanantly blinded than have a .44 Mag put a 3" hole in him.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »

The 2nd Amendment of the Constitution gives us the right to carry one of those bad boys for personal defense.

I'm with you 100%, Bill. Unfortunately, large groups of people make very lucrative careers out of trying to find ways to bypass that.

...which is why I fear the one moron who's going to spoil it for the rest of us.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »

Isn't this sorta like having a nuclear hand grenade?   Grin

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »

Interesting potential as a weapon. One watt - wow.  It was just a matter of time before they came out with a consumer model like that. Is the law 100mw as the max now? I dunno.

Here in CT (last I read) they are about to make a TASER legal to carry by the general public. It requires a training course and a new permit. ($100)   I axed the gun shop about it and they seemed oblivious to it. So things are changing.

Anyway, on subject of using the laser as a weapon...  There was an article sometime back about a large military version being deployed on the back of a large truck. It could supposedly take out eyesight 1/4 mile+ away. It showed a fictitious picture of a group of maybe 100 soldiers being taken out and blinded. They didn't have safety glasses, evidently. The author thought the reaction by the public would be total outrage. IE, it's OK to blow someone up or shoot them, but unacceptable to blind them for life.

The same attitude took place when mustard gas was used in WWI. The films of blind soldiers marching with their arms on the shoulders of the man in front went over the top, thus they banned its use.

So, I'd say the laser used as a weapon to blind will likely hit tremendous resistance by the public and legislators.

Personally, I like the strongest pepper spray available and a Colt 45 for protection.  I even added a homemade 120db electronic siren if Yaz is ever attacked by a big dog again.

Using a laser to burn off an arm like in Star Wars would probably fly, but the eye thing would freak out most people I think.  The liability in court could be huge too. I'm not against the idea, just speculating on the explosive political potential if it got widely used.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »

I believe this is old news and Lucas dropped the lawsuit.

A dangerous weapon, yes. 1w of blue light!  I've been accidentally and temporarily blinded myself by my redlight laser level which is about 1/10 that power.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

Interesting potential as a weapon. One watt - wow.  It was just a matter of time before they came out with a consumer model like that. Is the law 100mw as the max now? I dunno.

I know Class IV is 1200mW and below, depending on wavelength. IIIb is something like 500mW, again depending on wavelength. Not sure what the legal limit is for unregulated ownership of a laser.

I've always been on the side of something being a weapon only when used as a weapon. That's how I feel laws should be applied. Any other regulatory model is unrealistic, because absolutely everything on the planet can be used to kill someone. Couldn't you just ramrod a Care Bear down someone's throat until they suffocated? Of course you could, if you really cared enough.

Of course, that model is never the one that's applied. So far, nobody has used one of these things to deliberately blind someone. Of course, any laser can be used for that purpose, even the little 5mW red laser pointers, and laser-induced eye injuries are always permanent and irreversible.

There are real dangers to this thing, and operating it requires the same caution that operating a firearm requires. If used responsibly, it's a great tool. Used maliciously, it's a weapon (though not likely deadly, unless it blinds a pilot or driver). That speaks less to the device and more to the person wielding it.

Another reason I wanted to buy one before the soccer moms found out about it and used it as another reason to tell me how to live my life.

Bear in mind that it takes several seconds to unlock the laser, that it originally comes up in low-power pulsed mode, and it takes a few seconds to get it to full strap with a constant beam. The videos on the website show the previous model with a simple on/off switch, which they no longer make. There are several interlocks so it can't be accidentally ignited.

So it's only about as effective as an unloaded musket when used as a weapon. Your target would have to be slow, stupid, and staring right at you for several seconds before they'd be in any danger.

Speaking of big military lasers, there's a 50kW shipboard unit that just underwent trials in the Pacific. Disintegrated an aircraft within seconds. In another 20 years, someone will figure out how to build one of those in their backyard, and what a polite society we'll have then!  Grin
KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »

Huh? I just got the laser on Monday and posted about it today. How is that old news?
KL7OF

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »

What can you cut with a 1 watt blue laser?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »

What can you cut with a 1 watt blue laser?

Anything that burns or melts at a certain temperature, and doesn't have too reflective a surface. Darker colors tend to help, too. Forget soldering or any kind of metal, it will simply reflect the laser and won't heat.

Without the aid of optics, I can ignite print on paper almost instantly, whereas white paper takes a bit longer.

I bought some additional optics when I bought the laser, including a focusing lens. With that, there's focal point about 2" from the tip of the housing. Then you've really got some cutting power. The first thing I thought of when I used the focusing lens was woodburning, as you can go from angel-hair thin to 5mm wide just by getting closer to the workpiece.

I didn't get the first battery up to full charge until a few hours ago, so I've got more testing to do with it. For obvious reasons, I prefer to do it in a contained area when nobody's around so as not to cause harm with a stray beam, and not in my girlfriend's apartment so as not to become single with a stray beam.  Grin

I will try it out on some different materials and publish my findings here, though.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »

Correction: Class IV is any laser with a visible beam greater than 500mW.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »

Anyway, on subject of using the laser as a weapon...  There was an article sometime back about a large military version being deployed on the back of a large truck. It could supposedly take out eyesight 1/4 mile+ away. It showed a fictitious picture of a group of maybe 100 soldiers being taken out and blinded.
This is fact.  Lasers have been used in combat by a two or more countries going back over two decades.  Nobody is eager to admit or talk about it, understandably.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »

I'd considered something more along the lines of a 60W infrared array with the appropriate lenses. short duration use due to heat removal requirements, battery-eating also, but with 60W it is not too important because the material to be burned will burn very quickly. 55A @ about 2V. I'm not sure it could be pocketable too easily but where there's a will there's a way. Supercapacitors in parellel with the battery maybe to increase the oomph for a second or so then recharge. I bring supercaps up because there is a military prototype truck using no batteries, only supercaps. It can be started with 20 D cells, they are drained into the supercap bank and then the diesel engine is cranked from that. I suppose it better start the first time. Oshkosh Propulse. Some states have laws regarding using a laser (as a weapon) that might be more restrictive than using a firearm. Aiming is an issue and at some point 1 watt may not be enough to neutralize a determined or insensitive target. So, how about a youtube video of this laser, It seems like a very interesting tool. How would soldering go, when googles have to be worn to prevent injury?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 08:26:53 PM »

I still have to philosophically wonder about the 2nd Amendment and carrying a weapon for personal defense that could permanently blind a perp instead of putting a big fatal hole in him. It would certainly end a lot of criminal recidivism, Hard to stick up a 7-11 again if your retina is burned out. Even harder with a .44 mag hollow point through you.
Nevertheless, we need to think about this, all politics aside. It's worth pondering. Why outlaw the possession of a potentially instantly blinding laser but not a firearm?

Some of us only own our old school deterrents. LOL

(Sorry, moderators, I'll go hide now)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »

You can shoot down a jet liner with a class IV laser (blind the cockpit) from long range. I imagine a class IV device on a clear night would easily have an effective range of several miles (maybe less/more - I don't know about blue light and atmospheric attenuation) against unprotected night adapted eyes. Hard to do with a .44 mag. Imagine what a kid on a highway overpass could do (think about those idiots who were dropping chunks of concrete off of overpasses before you dismiss that).  My employer had to get FAA permission to  for testing what was essentially an eye safe laser out in the open.

They are like handguns, not evil of themselves, but humans can turn even simple tools to nefarious purposes.

I know of tankers who would use the non-eyesafe range finding laser if they thought they were being observed from somewhere they couldn't engage.  "Lasing" the target was nondestructive but would have caused eye damage, especially when viewed with optics.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »

Some more points to ponder:

As a defensive weapon, a laser wud take out only one eye at a time, thus the perp could shoot back using the good one. You wud have to be a great shot to hit the retina and be able to keep it on target for a specific period of time.  A two laser gun might be better for two eyes, though more dangerous for bystanders.  A perp could easily block it with his hand, sunglasses or any solid object.  

With a bullet, there is the chance of a wound, shooting in the leg to stop him - he may recover after medical treatment. With the laser, it's almost certain blindness, unless only one eye is hit.  

I think the general public is horrified about blinding anyone, even a perp - eyesight being a terrible sense to lose. They have been acclimated to bullets and bombs for centuries now and find it more "honorable" to use.  Blinding would border on germ warfare to some folks. It would be a tough thing to get it passed as a legal carry-type weapon, IMHO.  Even frickin stun guns are illegal in CT. There's guys on U-tube blasting themselves with them and laughing about it... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »

Does it have any ham use and how efficient is it?

Maybe I can use one in the next VHF and up contest Grin
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »

I suppose EME would be the holy grail. There are groups of amateurs who play at the various retroreflectors on the moon but the hobby is extremely costly.

What about 'line of sight' though, and what wavelengths are best 'bent' or reflected over the horizon. Instead of tropospheric scattering, a scattering by certain chemical compounts high in the atmosphere might work. Now we have a reason to save the ozone layer? A study of the reflective and absorptive qualities of the atmospheric compounds at various altitudes could be useful. The narrow bandwidth of the beam is an advantage and a disadvantage. Thermal stabilization of a diode laser is necessary to hold it on frequency.

In fact it is critical in professional diode pumped YAG and other solid state lasers due to the very narrow absorption bandwidth of the rod material. YAG absorbs at 808nm and the band is 1nm wide and the diode pump will drift through this band as it warms up if left uncontrolled. I only cite Nd:YAG because it is a common situation and I know little to nothing about the OP's laser except I am very envious.

Because 1nm and better accuracy is achievable in professional instruments, a receiver for weak signals might not be too demanding using a stablized laser as a LO. e.g. assuming a typical pump diode, 808nm is 371,030GHz, therefore a +1nm difference in the mixer represents a 460MHz I.F frequency. If the LO could be stabilized and PLL'd to some known offset from the received signal, the I.F. could be reasonable. But it is not my field, I only play with lasers and have never done any communications work with them. And I keep the beams out of the sky.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KL7OF

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »

The 1 watt laser could be very useful for burning wood or plastic or other materials for art projects, equipment panels etc..either free hand or cnc controlled...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

If you want one, better stock up now.  It will only take one nutjob like those dudes who went on the sniper spree in the DC area a few years ago, who might randomly aim at pedestrians, cops or aircraft, or specifically at public figures or people whose politics or ethnic origin they don't like.

I do say the things should be handled with the same respect as with a firearm or 3000 volt power supply.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »

Without the aid of optics, I can ignite print on paper almost instantly, whereas white paper takes a bit longer.

With this much energy in ones hand, do you need to ware eye protection from the reflected energy while trying to set things on fire etc.?

I see these same people make the worlds most powerful flashlight that can cook eggs and set garbage on fire. That's more my speed as I'm addicted to new technology  flashlights. The drawback is that the batteries only last five minutes in the thing Cry Cry Cry  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »

I gave up on LED flashlights several years ago.  I bought 3 different ones, at a retail store, at a hamfest and at a non-radio flea market, and in each one the LEDs began to go out, one at a time, before the second set of batteries wore out.

I'll just stick with old fashioned incandescent bulbs.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

I'll just stick with old fashioned incandescent bulbs.

You won't be able to get them next year, all flashlight must be converted over to CFL's

All joking aside Don, LED flashlights have come a long way.

Just don't buy a cheap one but those seem to work great to. The cheaper ones rely on multi leds where the more expensive, use  a single led and usually are brighter than the multi led types.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »

With this much energy in ones hand, do you need to [wear] eye protection from the reflected energy while trying to set things on fire etc.?

Yes.

They come with a pair of uber-orange tinted goggles. Spares are available for $25 or so. They've got three different color goggles for the three wavelengths they use the most.

The basic threshold for this thing is less than .25 seconds exposure to reflected energy within 200 meters without eye protection. In other words, don't look at the spot, period.

I did some testing with it yesterday. It cuts plastic-fiber ropes with ease. It doesn't do so well with the black plastic of crappy-brown-stuff, as that gets too reflective when it melts. I have yet to try it on a fiber rope, but I am hopeful because I have an antenna rope grown into a tree I'd like to shoot down (on an overcast day, of course).

The focusing lens makes it GREAT for cosmetic etching as KL7OF eluded to. I did some wood-burning with it yesterday, and the variable beam width from the lens lets you do all kinds of fountain-pen-like etches. It would work well in a CNC machine with a Z axis, but the beam is slightly elliptical so orientation matters.

You can't simply switch the beam on-and-off without modification, but I'm sure they'd build a unit with CNC in mind if there was demand enough. They do have some 500mW green lasers that can be switched on and off easily, and some people are using them for etching already.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

Back in July.  http://www.dailytech.com/George+Lucas+Angry+About+Real+Life+Lightsaber+Threatens+to+Sue/article18964.htm

I guess he was threatening to sue then.

August article states he drops.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/george_lucas_drops_wicked_lightsaber_lawsuit

Don't know if he changed his mind later though.

Huh? I just got the laser on Monday and posted about it today. How is that old news?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015