The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:39:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell Sony Cassette Walkman  (Read 47799 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »

heheheh... You know life is pretty good when we're debating whether candy apple blue exists or not... Wink

Actually, I think the color is called "marina blue." I see many GTOs on Google called that color. At least that was the color on the GM Corvette that looked similar to the GTO.  It's a beautiful color for sure.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2010, 11:42:33 AM »

GTO motor blue was a cool color
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »

heheheh... You know life is pretty good when we're debating whether candy apple blue exists or not... Wink

Actually, I think the color is called "marina blue." I see many GTOs on Google called that color. At least that was the color on the GM Corvette that looked similar to the GTO.  It's a beautiful color for sure.

T

But it's fun to prove yourself right when you know your right. (Unlike some others in this thread  Grin ) I shot so much of that stuff years ago, I should know what it is. Grin  Grin That is prolly one of the contributing factors to why my liver is crapped out. Those paint jobs back in the day were a ton of work to get right. You have to keep in mind that I was a car builder that did it all from the engine to the paintwork if the money was right.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

Yep, I understand, Slab... you've walked the walk... Wink

I, too, was in autobody. For a year I was an appentice at a Chevrolet dealership. They had me doing a full line of bodywork and finally painting. I painted my own GTO in lacquer red and rubbed it out at the time.  Never attempted candy apple on a big scale though.

In 1982 I painted my 40' Freuhauf truck trailer using epoxy aircraft paint. Now THAT was a job and a half. I didn't know that the epoxy paint set up so fast and had to return the rented gun to the shop with the paint hard as a rock inside. They cut the bottom off the gun and somehow cleaned it out...  gads.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »

Yep, I understand, Slab... you've walked the walk... Wink

I, too, was in autobody. For a year I was an appentice at a Chevrolet dealer. They had me doing everything and finally painting. I painted my own GTO in lacquer red and rubbed it out at the time.  Never attempted candy apple on a big scale though.

In 1982 I painted my 40' Freuhauf truck trailer using epoxy aircraft paint. Now THAT was a job and a half. I didn't know that the epoxy paint set up so fast and had to return the rented gun to the shop with the paint hard as a rock inside. They cut the bottom off the gun and somehow cleaned it out...  gads.
T

Tom,
       I absolutely despised that first generation epoxy junk!! No Thanks, just beat me and get it over  Grin

But If you were a real glutton for punishment there was the old school Metalflake!!  Back in the day, that stuff was all done with lacquer. ('cause it dried quickly) And the metalflake came dry in a ziplock styled baggie!! You shot the base color and then the misery began. You mixed the flake with clear lacquer and dusted on the first coat of clear / flake mix. It took a special gun and a steady hand to get the flake even. It now feels like coarse sandpaper. Then you shot a few coats of clear on top of that and let it dry. then you started the wetsanding process. you wet sanded it lightly so as to smooth it out without removing too much of the flake. Then spray a few more thin coats of clear. Then you wetsand again. Then you spray again, then wetsand again, then spray, then wetsand. Repeating this process over and over again until the flake is totally buried in the clear lacquer. A few more coats for good luck, then the final wetsand and buff to desired shine. What a P.I.T.A. If I never do another one of those in this lifetime, it will still be too soon. Motorcycle stuff wasnt too bad, but imagine doing this to a car!! That is why they were so expensive to have done.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »

As JN points out:
Dream'in about candy apple blue 1967 hardtop GTOs: http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/dreamcar.cgi?year=1967&model=GTO&body=hardtop&item=candy+apple+blue&action=show&page=1

Maybe the difference is "Kandy" vs. "Candy".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »

Pete,
        only you would take the time to photoshop a blue apple!! Grin  Grin

Maybe, you should be building a transmitter or something. Remember:
"Idle hands are the devil's playthings"   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

Pete,
        only you would take the time to photoshop a blue apple!! Grin  Grin

Maybe, you should be building a transmitter or something. Remember:
"Idle hands are the devil's playthings"   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Sorry to disappoint you, but a simple Google search found it. Took about 3 seconds  Grin  Don't even own photoshop or anything similar.
http://www.google.com/images?q=candy+blue+apple&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1617&bih=964

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »

It's immaterial whether it "officially" exists or not - you knew EXACTLY what I was talking about when I pitched it  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

John,
       Unfortunately, everyone usually refers to all candy colors as "candy apple xxxx"
Just like the "Kleenex" for facial tissue, etc. I did that once many years ago and was abruptly corrected by the paint vendor. It has become somewhat kinda universal by now.

Could you immagine something like candy apple brown (you know my sense of humor) or something like that.
Doesnt sound too appetizing, kinda like a blue apple  Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »

John,
       Unfortunately, everyone usually refers to all candy colors as "candy apple xxxx"
Just like the "Kleenex" for facial tissue, etc. I did that once many years ago and was abruptly corrected by the paint vendor. It has become somewhat kinda universal by now.

Could you immagine something like candy apple brown (you know my sense of humor) or something like that.
Doesnt sound too appetizing, kinda like a blue apple  Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »

Pete,
        That's not a candy color, that's plain old bringle brown  Grin  Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »

Here's a video that got my heart pumping!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yd88whKZ28&feature=channel

And this guy gives the police the double finger and takes off at 240 mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYxr0RsIlY&feature=related

Imagine driving this on the street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBqfKW4IFFY&feature=related

The wheelie schoolbus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzOd__feIw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JiUsfBeoUg&feature=related

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »

* Weinermobile.jpg (42.19 KB, 400x300 - viewed 666 times.)

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015