The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:13:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell Sony Cassette Walkman  (Read 47651 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 12:47:21 PM »

I have a friend building a '78 Vet 350 and helped him set up the advance curve. He did up a Q jet that really plays. He gave me a bunch of articles on how to get it right. I gave them to a guy I work with and he also set his up to work right.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »

Hot rods and race cars both have something in common with radios. It is not necessarily the piling up of high end parts that makes it a hot item. But finding the combination that all of the parts work together in unison. That was one of the true secrets of being / going fast.

But when you find someone who likes to brag about his wheels, one would usually return with "Dont tell me how fast your car is, show me" or "do you want to talk cars or do you want to race" or best of all "Put up or shut up".

Life was good back then!!  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »

I love high performance aircraft.
The sound of an SR71 is way past beautiful.
You will fall in love looking at the SR71 close up front, sides, or back
First time I saw the F117 plywood model I thought ugly but it grows on you

F22 motor makes a nice purple flame.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »

I love high performance aircraft.
The sound of an SR71 is way past beautiful.
You will fall in love looking at the SR71 close up front, sides, or back
First time I saw the F117 plywood model I thought ugly but it grows on you

F22 motor makes a nice purple flame.

Nah, the sound of an Allison V-12 is beautiful!! Those things just sound like big
vacuum cleaners  Grin  Grin  Real engines have pistons!!

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »

I was watching the nationals funny cars and dragsters a few nights ago on cable. (John Force and the boys, etc)  They had a guy turn 3.88 at 316 mph in the quarter.   I can't believe that have finally arrived at this time and speed.  How the heck do they keep the machine on the lane at 316 mph? You would think there wud be many more accidents.  You wud think regulators wud have changed the rules to 1/8 mile only by now.

Any prediction of the E.T and MPH in 20 years? I wonder if they will ever achieve a one sec qtr mile?

I see some of these animal electric cars that are extremely fast in the quarter. Maybe that's what will be needed.

Years ago I remember when the rocket cars broke 5 sec and everyone was freaked. Even breaking 8 sec in 1968 was a big deal...  If a bullet can do 1/4 mile in  1 second, I guess the physics allows it to be done in a car with the right technology. Frank, can we strap your ass in for a quick test?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »

T
 Top Fuel and Funny Car run to the 1,000 ft mark  Angry

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »

Top Fuel and Funny Car run to the 1,000 ft mark  Angry

They keep changing the rules trying to slow those things down for safety reasons.
And the competitors are so fierce that besides the rule changes to slow them down, they keep going faster and faster!! It's all about good ole American enginuity and................. CUBIC DOLLARS! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

One run between engine overhauls, engine blocks and heads cast with no cooling jackets (for sheer tensile strength), horsepower beyond measurement, etc. It's rather amazing to see what piston engines will make when running on a "monopropellant" fuel and forced induction!!

Those things may shut the engines down at 1000ft, but with the laws of physics prolly still have it accellerating. If one of those things gets away from the driver, you could have a very large bullet traveling out of control.   

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »

Johnny,
            I hate to tell you this, but there is no such thing as candy apple blue.
there is definately candy blue, or maybe candy (something) blue, but not candy apple blue. Candy "apple" red was a specific color (red).

I stand by my statement - that badass RX of Tom's is definitely candy apple blue if there ever was one  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »

T
 Top Fuel and Funny Car run to the 1,000 ft mark  Angry

Interesting. So instead of 1,320 feet they now run 1000 feet.  Actually, that makes the 316 mph top speed even more impressive.   With the square function related to acceleration, the horsepower needed to see big improvements is off the chart. (Actually I think it takes FOUR times the power to double the speed, much like with a wind sail)

One block per run... amazing what the pros have learned to accept and make a standard practice these days. Competition will do that.

I always loved going to the drags and absorbed it fully when there. The smell of burning rubber, the sound of screaming motors and the smell of propellant brings tears to my eyes.. Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »

I stand by my statement - that badass RX of Tom's is definitely candy apple blue if there ever was one  Grin

I looked at it in the sunlight today and sure looks close to a marina blue / candy apple blue GTO... Grin

T

* GTO Blue Receiver.jpg (57.86 KB, 640x480 - viewed 452 times.)

* GTO HB Receiver.jpg (82.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 452 times.)

* Wild Party at Gary's.jpg (40.73 KB, 600x432 - viewed 521 times.)

WA1GFZ

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »

Strap me it I'm game.
I love the smell of nitro
How many heart beats in a 3 sec. quarter mile?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »

T
 Top Fuel and Funny Car run to the 1,000 ft mark  Angry

Interesting. So instead of 1,320 feet they now run 1000 feet.  Actually, that makes the 316 mph top speed even more impressive.   With the square function related to acceleration, the horsepower needed to see big improvements is off the chart. (Actually I think it takes FOUR times the power to double the speed, much like with a wind sail)

One block per run... amazing what the pros have learned to accept and make a standard practice these days. Competition will do that.

I always loved going to the drags and absorbed it fully when there. The smell of burning rubber, the sound of screaming motors and the smell of propellant brings tears to my eyes.. Wink

T

Tom,
       They race the full 1320 feet, they just shut down the engines at 1000 feet. The last 320 is "coasting" till they break the beams.

The block usually doesnt get replaced unless there is a "catastrophic failure" I.E. "hand grenade" But they do replace the rods and pistons after every run. After all 425 cubic inches making somewhere well over 6000 horsepower, the innards dont last too long.
As a matter of fact, it's not too unusual to see bits of the pistons coming out of the ends of the headers during a run!! the Stress on the internal parts is definately beyond words, and those engines wouldn't last much more than the few seconds they run at that RPM and power level without coming apart.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

How many heart beats in a 3 sec. quarter mile?

Prolly somewhere around 0 !!

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »

Nah, just leave the "apple" out it's simply candy blue.

WQ9E

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »

An interesting description of the life of a top fuel engine, one of the more interesting "factoids" is that although redline is around 9,500 they only turn a total of 540 revolutions from light to light:  http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal/?p=632

Rodger WQ9E
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »

An interesting description of the life of a top fuel engine, one of the more interesting "factoids" is that although redline is around 9,500 they only turn a total of 540 revolutions from light to light:  http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal/?p=632

Rodger,
           that is a prety kool article, but I do question a few of the "factoids". Like 44 amps from the magnetos?? And possibly the fuel consumption 11.5 gal/sec?? that would mean that they would have to carry 40-50 gallons of fuel for 1 run. The fuel tanks on those things are not that big. The 540 revolutions per run is pretty kool. I took a second and did the math, I came up with 732 revolutions, but that is close enough. If you ever heard one of those things live, up close, and personal you would have trouble believing it, but the math dont lie. The rest of the "factoids" are pretty close to what I remember. It gives you a pretty good feel for what is going on there.  (I was a crewchief for a privateer running a top alcohol funny car 30+ years ago)

Kind of amazing, 7000 horsepower and worn out and lucky to last 700 revolutions of the crankshaft!! To put that in perspective, that is about 1 minute of idling for a modern car!!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »

Well, consider clutch slip and tire slip. They want to hold the motor at the top of the torgue curve so it may be actually higher. 9500/60 is about 160 RPS though. Then there is idle where fire is belching past the exhaust valves and trying to go back at the blower boost.
All this is very cool until you look up the afterburner of a pair of J58s mounted in an SR71 that will burn over 100 gallons of fuel per second each and that ain't nitro but JP7, lot more BTUs.
K0ARA
Contributing

The Bull

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

"Those things may shut the engines down at 1000ft, but with the laws of physics prolly still have it accellerating. If one of those things gets away from the driver, you could have a very large bullet traveling out of control"   

They have.. Englishtown 2008  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUL6296Ue0&feature=related

"They race the full 1320 feet, they just shut down the engines at 1000 feet. The last 320 is "coasting" till they break the beams"

In NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car have the finish line set at a 1000 feet... all other classes race to the 1/4 mile.

RIP Scott

Mike KØARA                99.9% AM
                 AMI  #1692
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »

Check out this gallery of old street/drag cars - sure brings back memories:

http://murdercycles.com/v-web/gallery/album66?page=1

Out of them all, this Ford is my favorite. I had a friend who drove one with a built 429. I just love the style of this car. Bet it really turns heads.

T

* WOW Ford.jpg (66.14 KB, 640x500 - viewed 469 times.)

WA1GFZ

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »

One of the guys I work with had a 429 in a Falcon with a straight front axel.
Many years before we knew each other my buddy and I pulled into the gas station where he was working on it with the '66 L88 chevelle. We looked it over and agreed it would take the Rat if he could keep it in a straight line.
The frame was too weak so it never really hooked it up. He told me every time he got on it the traction bars broke the welds loose. Nothing like a real frame.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »

One of the guys I work with had a 429 in a Falcon with a straight front axel.
Many years before we knew each other my buddy and I pulled into the gas station where he was working on it with the '66 L88 chevelle. We looked it over and agreed it would take the Rat if he could keep it in a straight line.
The frame was too weak so it never really hooked it up. He told me every time he got on it the traction bars broke the welds loose. Nothing like a real frame.

I had a buddy that also had a Falcon with a lima motor in it. (He liked 460s) this was 30 years ago. It was a 69 falcon that I bought for $50. I sold him the body for $50 and another buddy the motor and tranny for $50. (I made $50 so it bought the beer)
Steve set it up with a tube frame, coil over / pinto rack and pinion front end and 4-link / 9" rear end. Basically built like a Pro Stock car of the day. 460 with Hi-po heads, tunnel ram and custom cam that he designed. It went 9.60s 30 years ago!! Ford Lima motors (429 / 460) are the best HP/dollar value out there if you build them right. Steve's car used to go that fast with a STOCK short block!!

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »

Sheesh, do I gotta prove it to ya?

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1967/67_00298_1

Not sure if T got the inspiration from the GTO in that link, or vice-versa  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

Sheesh, do I gotta prove it to ya?

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1967/67_00298_1

Not sure if T got the inspiration from the GTO in that link, or vice-versa  Grin

John,
        I'll even argue it with him. There is no such thing as candy APPLE blue. The original "Kandy Kolors" were named after fruits and other shiny edibles. I have never seen a blue apple, and if I did, I sure as hell wouldnt eat it  Grin  Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »

I agree with Frank candy apple red is only red.
I would think candy blue berry could be blue

candy ass comes in brown
baby crap yellow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

Here ya go........  TAKE THIS Grin  Grin

http://www.jimmunroe.com/HOK/KandyKolors/index.html

Here are the color charts for Kandy Kolors!! Click on each chart to enlarge it.

There is NO "apple" blue  Grin  Grin

I should know, I shot enough of that crap years ago.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015