The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell Sony Cassette Walkman  (Read 47643 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »

Tom, My term was header chink. The sound of fire in a good set of tuned headers. A cold night with the right mixture under just enough load to pop open the power valves. I liked the pontiac motor because you could replace the timing chain or cam without bending the pan like on a chevy. Also you could pull the intake without pulling the distributor. The connecting rods were a bit too long which increased the spinning mass the shortfall of the design.
The worst motors were the 326 and 350 what heavy pigs. Followed by the 455. Now if they just increased the bore another 1/8 inch with good heads that motor would have made real power. The rod length would have been better and piston skirts would have been shorter.
The 421 made power because it had the right McKeller cam grind. After that they limited the high end to keep the crank in the block.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »

A candy apple blue Little GTO wins every time  Grin

Candy apple blue?? Apples are supposed to be red. Who'd ever think of eating a blue apple??  Grin  Grin

Fast GTOs werent a common thing around here. Like nonexistant!

After all, it meant  Git Yer Tools Out! ! !  Grin  Grin

Yeah, candy apple blue!  Just like the front panel of Tom's HB RX  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »

[Yeah, candy apple blue!  Just like the front panel of Tom's HB RX  Grin

Johnny,
            I hate to tell you this, but there is no such thing as candy apple blue.
there is definately candy blue, or maybe candy (something) blue, but not candy apple blue. Candy "apple" red was a specific color (red).

I shot enough of those paint jobs many years ago. "Kandy Kolors" refered originally to a specific brand, then copied as "candy colors" by other mfrs. the basics are as follows for a proper "Candy" color paint job:

Step 1. Shoot the car in either a metallic gold or silver base coat (dependng on the color  
          and your preference)
Step 2. Apply a few coats of the candy color. (a transparent basically colored clear, you
           applied as many coats as it took to get the depth of color you wanted)
Step 3. Since in the old days this was all done with lacquer it was time to bust your ass  
           wet sanding it smooth between coats. (a real PITA)
Step 4. Apply a few coats of clear to get the depth of shine you desired (wet sanding
           between coats)
Step 5. Final wet sand with extreemly fine paper (1000 grit or finer)
Step 6. Buff out to desired shine with electric buffer and apply sealer

Since this was before the days of the current basecoat / clearcoat finishes, they were a ton of work, a Pita to do, and therefore quite expensive! I know, I did enough of them!
"Back in the day", metalflake was an even bigger PITA, but that is another story for another time.............................  

OH, yea, I forgot step 7: Drink copious amounts of your favorite alcoholic beverages between steps 1-6. Step 8: pass out on the paint booth floor! ! ! ! !   Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »

Tom, My term was header chink. The sound of fire in a good set of tuned headers. A cold night with the right mixture under just enough load to pop open the power valves. I liked the pontiac motor because you could replace the timing chain or cam without bending the pan like on a chevy. Also you could pull the intake without pulling the distributor. The connecting rods were a bit too long which increased the spinning mass the shortfall of the design.
The worst motors were the 326 and 350 what heavy pigs. Followed by the 455. Now if they just increased the bore another 1/8 inch with good heads that motor would have made real power. The rod length would have been better and piston skirts would have been shorter.
The 421 made power because it had the right McKeller cam grind. After that they limited the high end to keep the crank in the block.

Frank,
         You would have loved big block mopeckers!! the bottom ends were bulletproof!!
440s with the big rods and forged crank could take well over 7000 without coming apart!
You could change the intake without even draining the coolant, and they never had timing chain problems!! And If you knew what you were doing you could change cams without pulling the intake! ! ! !   Grin  Try that with a poncho Grin  Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

Yeah, candy apple blue!  Just like the front panel of Tom's HB RX  Grin

heheheh... That's what Rich/ETP used to call it - "The GTO Blue Homebrew Receiver"

That panel was painted with hand rubbed lacquer, much like Slab just described. I started with a silver base and used translucent blue lacquer on top. I sanded with 600 grit paper and then compounded it out and waxed.  I did a whole line of rigs that way.  Also painted a VW.  That paint reflected like a mirror and was an inexpensive way to get a pro look using spray cans.

Well, I'm off to go kayak sailing with Yaz today. Might be one of the last days before it's too cold for anything but the canoe.  Tomorrow is our 40th high school reunion. Both events oughta be sporting... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »

Well Rodger, fear not: they will continue to be made in China according the the report I saw. Sorta like the end of the VW Beetle, which was still built in Mexico for years and used as taxicabs.

Was quite the invention in its day. Replaced by the mp3 player and ear buds.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

What about Candy-Ass Blue?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »

Grin Grin
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »

Frank I helped Mark the Q get his 440 going. It is a nice motor. But friggen heavy. Build chevy 350s had one in the jethro mobile 4 bolt, plus 30 with an old weiand single plane 800 cfm and fuelie cam, 411s.
But you know what they say about big blocks......
Rat will go by a 455 like it is standing still sorry built them also.
ve6pg

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

..i had one of those tuners in my 1970 AMX..no back seat..last year of that style...worst car i ever owned...replaced by a 1966 malibu ss 396...

..btw, with plymouth gone, will the 'cuda be a dodge?...

.sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »

..i had one of those tuners in my 1970 AMX..no back seat..last year of that style...worst car i ever owned...replaced by a 1966 malibu ss 396...

What a difference.  The AMX was like a Maverick... Grin

The '66 Chevelle SS396 was my all time favorite muscle car.  The maroon coupe with a black vinyl top, black interior and dark gray Crager mags was the goods. I never owned one, but always wanted to. They can go for $50K+ these days.

There was a guy who had one for sale in 1968 - all built up and waxed to a high luster. He wanted $2800 for it. That was outa my range then, but I dreamed about it.

The marina blue with black top and black interior was a classic too.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »

P.S The 455 is about 150 lbs lighter than the 454. It’s very easy to get the HP up on the 455 and exceed the 454.

I dont know what you've been smokin, but I want some!! It would take mega bux to get more HP out of a 455 than a square port rat motor!! Most of the square port rats were pretty lethal right out of the box.

To really appreciate it, you lave to look at the published HP curves for these engines.
just like they made umpteen versions of the 427 / 425 Hp. Several of them show the graph going to 6 grand plus with the Hp peaking somewhere in that area. Others show a graph with a line at about a 30 degree angle from vertical that STOPS at say 4800 rpm where the HP is 425 and the engine will pull 6500+! the actual graph line would stop at the 425 Hp point. Some of them produced well in excess of 500HP. They would have a bunch of different model numbers for the same cid / HP engine. this wierd rating curve was so the buyers could get insurance for these cars and also for NHRA class HP rating.

The 396 / 375 was another one like that, 375 HP @ 5000 rpm....................... But something like 450 at 6500. If you ever raced a Chevelle or Camaro with a 396 / 325, they were slugs and easy pickens. (oval port heads) However...............If you ran one with a 396/375 (square port heads), there was NO comparison and you usually had a real race on your hands.

I had a buddy some years back that bought a 69 396 / 375 Chevelle Super Stock car,
It was a mid / high 10-second car back then. He used to get me to drive it bacause he kept missing gears. It was really nasty and fun to drive!!

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »

Frank I helped Mark the Q get his 440 going. It is a nice motor. But friggen heavy.

Frank,
         there is something to be said for having a little weight to the block. Nice thick castings!! You never had problems with head bolt or main cap bolts pulling out with these engines. They never made 4-bolt mains for 440s, and they would stay together well in excess of 7000 without the main caps pulling out. I was known for shifting mine over 7000 and running it up past 7500 in the burnout to "clean out" the motor good from running it around in the pits. (this was before the days of MSD) A good balance job was all that it took to keep it together.

One of my most favorite Chebby motors for street cars was the overlooked and much maligned 400 small block. It had the same bore and stroke as a 402 in a small package.
The out of box heads werent too bad either. (1.94 intake, 1.60 exhaust) It didnt take much to make these engines into real screamers for street machines as long as you didnt get one with a sandy casting thin block. I built a bunch of them back when. And you could get them dirt cheap back then.

Another engine that had a lot of potential but got badly overlooked was the 430 Buick motor. They by far ran better than the 455s!! No one even considered these motors until the supply of reasonably priced rat motors really dried up!!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 07:48:17 AM »

In your wet dream hro. Just look at the ports on both motors. look at the valve stagger on the rat. look at the valve size. The problem was the pontiac heads could not flow the air of a square port rat. a buddy and I built a L88 with ZL1 Xcam. 10s machine. the fastest thing I ever drove.
I could take a round port 396 with my '65 but not a square port.
Yes Frank the small block 400 was an interesting motor because it was so light. Also you could put some good heads on it to flow air.
WQ9E

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »

Well Rodger, fear not: they will continue to be made in China according the the report I saw. Sorta like the end of the VW Beetle, which was still built in Mexico for years and used as taxicabs.

Was quite the invention in its day. Replaced by the mp3 player and ear buds.

It isn't a problem Todd since I am stuck in an older audio era with an Akai "you can hardly walk with it man" tape recorder   Wink

Pictured below is my Akai 1800 SD "super deluxe" reel and cartridge tape recorder.  This one was acquired in near time capsule form with all of the accessories still sealed in their bags including the take-up reel, the Akai demonstration tape appears to have never been used.  The wings for the built in speakers still have their plastic protectors attached so this one truly is mint.

I lubricated it according to the service manual before use and it took off and plays fine.  If it has ever been used it was minimal because there was no tape oxide on the heads or anywhere in the tape path.  Although it won't handle 10 inch reels it is a nice "semi portable" for use outside.  It did come with the extra capstan and pinch wheel to allow 15 IPS operation but a 7 inch reel wouldn't last long at that speed.

* Akai 1.JPG (345.05 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 550 times.)

* Akai 2.JPG (304.48 KB, 681x1200 - viewed 563 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:17 PM »

I've got a TEAC R-R in the shack.  I think that falls under the "can hardly walk with it man" catagory too!  Still runs well, though the drive disks slip cause they've hardened with age.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »

<snip> "If I had a choice back then for my GTO I would have preferred the 427, but you don't drop a Chevy engine into a Pontiac." <snip>

Why not??? Chevelle frame mounts and Chevelle headers and it was a direct bolt in swap, you didnt even have to drill any holes!! (just had to use the Chebby transmission)

454 LS-6 or LS-7 in a goat became one mean mother!!  Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »

Well, I guess you wouldnt even consider putting a SB Chebbie in a T-bucket roadster  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

And you never really worried about being fast Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »

"Back in the day" originality wasn't even a concern. 30 years ago these cars weren't worth much more than scrapmetal. Back then I bought and sold dozens of muscle cars in the $100-500 range. The real go-fast boys never worried about originality. They worried about going fast!! In the true spirit of hot-rodding, unless you were building a car for NHRA class racing, you put the most powerful engine you could get your hands on into whatever you had. And Besides a bolted in swap was easily reversable if the need arose.

It is now that the bent pinky elitists want the most primo original cars. All they care about is the collectors / resale value. Most of them prolly couldnt change a sparkplug, much less build a car from the frame up. But.............they are the ones that pay the 6-figure prices for them.

And.............errr................furthermore..................a chebby engine in a poncho is still all GM Grin  Grin

But then again, I used to like to put MoPar 440s into just about anything, including a few fords, 1 chebby, and a few others  Grin  Grin

WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »

my money would be on the 454 blowing the doors off a 455
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »

"Back in the day" collector car auctions were stuff like Bentleys and Deusenbergs.
The explosion of the muscle car market is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Like I said, years ago they werent worth squat!! 30 years ago I bought an all original Plymouth superbird for $1000 that some idiot ran out of oil and put a rod out the side of the block. I sold it 3 weeks later for $1500 and was happy with the profit I made!! Now, it would be my retirement!!

Sometimes you also "get caught with your pants down". My buddy Richard (that had a used car lot) called me to "come down and look at this car". It was a numbers matching 1969 426 hemi, 4-speed Road Runner. It had some body damage and he needed the money, he was asking $1000 for it. Unfortunately my wallet was tight that week and I had to pass it up. It still breaks my heart to this day!! In the past I have had cars pass through my hands that people would kill for NOW. But back then they werent worth much if anything!

Back in those days we did what we had to to be the king of the hill! Build em for speed and "drive it like you stole it!!"  Grin  Grin

Times ARE different now, no arguments there, but you also were refering to happenings back in the past!!

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »

P.S. I had a non stock 3.11 rear-end. My goat had no problem off of the line Wink

Is that a typo?? With a 3.11 rear it wouldnt come off of the line with a team of mules pulling it??

WA1GFZ

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »

I guess the cop didn't have one of them their 2 way radios in his car.
Man been a number of years since I've heard tall tales of a goat roper
3 to 4 mpg man that thing must have belched black smoke like an F4 in full afterburner
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »

Many a 455 would have blown the doors off many a 454 but carry a bucket to put the parts in when the bottom end goes out the side of the oil pan.

my money would be on the 454 blowing the doors off a 455

Going back in time with my GTO you would have found out the hard way Grin

P.S. I had a non stock 3.11 rear-end. My goat had no problem off of the line Wink
WA1GFZ

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »

Interesting that an L88 head with barn door ports, with over 1/2 inch lift cam (.6 exhaust) and lower gears got the same MPG as you.  Oh we also ran an 850 double pumper.

Yes Dave, I missed your post. A 455 will take a 454 but it will cost you the bottom end when you spin it out to 6500 and the thing comes apart.

Imagine in the real world comming off the line with a 455 releasing the clutch at 4 grand into 3.08 gears.....maybe with your red sidewall G70-14 Tiger Paws. Spare the bleach and watch the smoke show......and go nowhere
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015