The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell Sony Cassette Walkman  (Read 47893 times)
WQ9E

« on: October 25, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »

After 31 years, the cassette version of the Walkman fades away:  http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/10/sony-to-stop-making-walkman-cassette-player.html

I guess that makes it the HRO of the personal audio devices in terms of longevity.

Rodger WQ9E
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »

After 31 years, the cassette version of the Walkman fades away:  http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/10/sony-to-stop-making-walkman-cassette-player.html

I guess that makes it the HRO of the personal audio devices in terms of longevity.

I didn't even know they were still making it Shocked

I'm surprised they didn’t do it 10 to 15+ years ago.

That's sort of like selling a DOS PC today Roll Eyes

I love DOS!

AMI#1684
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »

So long to an icon. Wow, if you remember using them, you are considered old. If you used an old transistor pocket radio, you are considered antique. If you are from the era of old B radios and such, you are ancient.  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »

" So long to an icon. Wow, if you remember using them, you are considered old. If you used an old transistor pocket radio, you are considered antique. If you are from the era of old B radios and such, you are ancient.  Wink "

So where do 8trak fit in ??

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »

I can out-old-buzzard all of you.  I remember the wind-up Victrola.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »

But.....................................

Do you remember using one of these??  Huh

* Big Bessemer[1].jpg (333.64 KB, 800x600 - viewed 612 times.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:00:52 PM »

Ah yes, the 8-tracks. In 1968 my '64 GTO had an "Automatic Radio" 8-track.  

Later on in 1972, the NE AMers would come down to CT for some bar hopping. I made 8-track recordings of some of the good QSO's and played them in the car for the guys as we cruised down the highway to the bars. One time we picked up some nice blondes by introducing PW Fallon (WA1IWQ) as the guy who runs a KW of AM on 3885. They jumped in the car and we played the tapes for them. They were so dazzled they didn't know what the heck to think. We were prehistoric geeks, I guess... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »

Ham Radio as girl bait......bet that went over big
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:22:46 PM »

I can out-old-buzzard all of you.  I remember the wind-up Victrola.

One of my first jobs was in a music store.  I was just a JN at the time. (around 15)  Got the job 'cause I was a ham.  I used to fix various radios of the 50's era.  The workbench was in the basement of the store.  There was a fully functional Edison cylindrical player -- WITH LOTS OF CYLINDERS.  What a blast playing them.  The store owner didn't seem to mind -- he was an old timer back in those days - it probably was a new 'un that never got sold.  One can only imagine what kind of price the whole collection would have been worth in today's market

Al
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 12:43:51 PM »

" I remember the wind-up Victrola. "

Grandma had one. We liked to play her Lithuanian comedy records. She had a sence of humor.....    'We' didn't understand them.

Steel needles in the record player. Mom had the HiFi.

Cheep portable tape recorders . Easy to hide ....  1 trak?........  lots 'o fun... coulda got a job with Nixon.

klc

What? Me worry?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »

Ham Radio as girl bait......bet that went over big

The thang is we had a lively rap and the chicks were dumb blondes. And the best part was we were in Springfield, MA where the local guys were tongue-tied trying to look cool while we were out there hustling like Elvis with a two-letter call. Works every time... Grin

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

A candy apple blue Little GTO wins every time  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 01:28:26 PM »

Somehow the Subject and the topic took divergent paths... Huh

Last year while on a pronged field service call, I was hunting down an intermittent arc on a customers machine. Every time there would be an arc, incremental encoders would creep. I needed a way to find that arc...

So I go over to Best Buy to buy a Sony Walkman with the hope that it had a decent AM tuner within. No luck, and the sales guy had no clue of what I was talking about. I did find a discontinued rack that had an off brand AM/FM with headset. So I took it. Going into a wafer fab facility with a headset on got me plenty of laughs, scowls, and what the heck looks. Virtually every power supply was switching, so noise was everywhere. NO AM broadcast station could penetrate that noise.

I did find some open grounds, improper power hookups (all 208v 3 phase), and a nearby machine that had a 13.56 Mhz 5KW RF generator that was radiating such that the AM BCB was overloaded on my little receiver.

I didn't find my specific problem, but having one of those Walkman type radios is sometimes useful or tracking down noise sources.

Jim
WD5JKO
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »

A candy apple blue Little GTO wins every time  Grin

Candy apple blue?? Apples are supposed to be red. Who'd ever think of eating a blue apple??  Grin  Grin

Fast GTOs werent a common thing around here. Like nonexistant!

After all, it meant  Git Yer Tools Out! ! !  Grin  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »

And there were about a dozen or more "Super Tuner" type models that can after the one above.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »

I was just a poor boy with a '65 Tempest......homebrew drive train.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

When the mid-70's came around, the pollution chokers and gas prices made running hi-test performance a little more difficult.  I once saw a guy who had a realistic-looking, but fake Roots 6-71 blower sticking through the hood and a recording of a dragster motor playing through his onboard PA system as he drove through the McDonalds. Man, did that get some stares - it sure fooled most.

I've often thought of getting one of those recordings for my truck - just to bewilder the new breed of squirrels driving around in their little needle-dick cars with 6 cylinders, no mufflers, tinted black windows and 1" of tire rubber on the rims... (and the heavy bass rap, of course) Grin

T

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »

By the mid-70's I gave up driving the loud and big Plymouth Fury Mopars and bought an AMC Pacer (a lowly cool and weird-looking vehicle). Somewhere I have a picture with a homebrew 2 meter turnstile mounted on the roof.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »

Poor and you had a car? You don't know poor.

I was just a poor boy with a '65 Tempest......homebrew drive train.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

actually Tom the best poncho motor was the 421SD with Arma Steel bottom end. Then there was the Ram Air 5 that never hit the street.

No HUZ I don't know poor and may none of us live it.

I know Frank mopar ruled but they had a crappy body and front end.
wb4iuy
PW in NC

My Contest Station

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »

I had one of these hanging under the dash of a '62 Chevy pickup...

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

actually Tom the best poncho motor was the 421SD with Arma Steel bottom end. Then there was the Ram Air 5 that never hit the street.

No HUZ I don't know poor and may none of us live it.

I know Frank mopar ruled but they had a crappy body and front end.

SD-421 was the one motor they made that would raise an eyebrow from me!
Al Lineweber had a white 67 goat with one of them. It was the only really fast poncho in these parts that DIDNT have a Chebby motor in it. (Rat motor was a bolt in swap, just use chevelle frame mounts and headerz) Ram Airs were about as fast as a large chunk of concrete!!  Grin  Grin But some of the SD-421s were actually quite fast. It must have been a bore to stroke or rod ratio thing. (or noone figgered out how to build them)

I kinda liked the body styling of the older mopars. But you are right the front ends were szht! You definately kept the tire dealers in business. I could never get many miles out of a set of front tires. I was often tempted to try 6-ply truck tires on the front.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

Ram Air cams had no high end. Crane H302 or H312 took care of the problem.
First time I power shifted my 65 Tempest with open headers I hit 6500 and thought the crank was going to hit the ground. The front end came off the ground though. SD421 was stroked to 455 making it a dog. I maybe have seen one 421 motor. I searched for one a couple times. A SD421 with RA4 heads would be a cool project.
Yes the Rat is a drop in swap and square port heads makes it fast.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »

A buddy of mine owned a 421 '66 goat. Deep Marina blue hardtop coupe. Chrome mags - what a beauty that was. It had headers, 4.33? rear end and a high lift cam.  Riding in it scared the heck outa me when he opened it up. It had that "SOUND" of a ticking dragster as it idled around town.

Anyway, he sold it to a guy who then rolled it on a curve on Windsor ave, Windsor. There were four guys in the car with back injuries, etc. Totaled.

I just love those engines that are set up to sound like that.... tickita tickita...tick... roooommmm!  tickita tickita...   Grin

What is the main ingredient that makes the "ticking" sound? Is it the headers, the long duration cam, high compression or some combination?  I've had a few cars where I made those add-ons but was unable to get that sound. It takes quiet mufflers to reveal it....  ??

T

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »

Proud owner of a crapped out 73 vette, but now with a parts car giving up it's innards to bring it back to life.  I like the chevy 350 v-8, they were easy to work on, common as dirt and you could put a lot of power into a small car by shoe-horning one of those baby's under the hood.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015