The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:57:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Besides Ham Radio  (Read 41213 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »

Hej !

MoPar 440 kicks ass.   Grin
It was a very hot summer day...
My brothers car, but it me on the pic, sorry for making you cry.

Looks like a '66 Imperial, first year of the 440

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
SM6OID

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »

Hej !

MoPar 440 kicks ass.   Grin
It was a very hot summer day...
My brothers car, but it me on the pic, sorry for making you cry.

Looks like a '66 Imperial, first year of the 440

Close, New Yorker '66

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:43 PM »

We have a big tractor show here next weekend, the Fulton Fall Folk Festival, in McConnellsburg, go to www.gsandr.com to see more. Featured manufacturer is JI Case, which was one of the big steam engine makers back in the early 1900s. I was just at a show near Mercersburg, PA a couple weekends ago. Feature tractor there was Minneapolis-Moline. I have a liking for John Deere tractors, but there were some of the older Oliver tractors there that had Detroit Diesel engines in the, 3-71s and 4-53s is what that they put in them when they built them, those things are something to hear especially with straight exhaust and in low gear with the throttle probably all but wide open.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »

the only way to run a Detroit is right up against the governor. they dont like to be lugged down. You havent heard anything pretty till you hear a 12V-71 wide open against the governor with open exhaust. Being they are 2-cycle and every cylinder fires every revolution, they sound like they are running at double the speed!!

As far as really old tractors go, my favorite is a Rumley Oil Pull!! Truely a beast in it's own class. I forget the actual dimensions but they are a 2 cylinder engine with something crazy like a 10 or 12" bore and somewhere around a 20" stroke!!
and they look much more like a steam tractor than an internal combustion kerosene engine!

Of course a .060 over 440 with 12.5:1 compression and 2 1/8" tube fenderwell headers spinning up 7500 RPM in a good second gear burnout is also sweet music! ! !   

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 06:54:16 AM »

Yea I know that with the Detroits the best way is to run them wide open, so it was kinda a disappointment to be standing there watching a parade of them go pass and a few of them didn't have throttle open very much them this woman comes past on one and the further she goes the more throttle she gave it, that sounded real good.
those old rumelys have a sound of their own, too. i guess part of it is from having the exhaust empty out into that big stack at the front which also is the radiator, but is oil cooled.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:11 AM »

Close, New Yorker '66

That'd be the cats ass in Sweden!  You probably have to take a second mortgage on the house to take it for a ride though.

As I recall Chrysler had a fair market share in Sweden back in the 50s and 60s, and there's a good number of old Mopar survivors there.  Good on you guys for preserving that big American iron which unfortunately meets with some disdain throughout most of Europe.

One exception appears to be Greece.  Jeeps are the most popular SUVs by far, and there's a fair number of Cadillac Escalades and even Hummers prowling around Athens.  $8/gal gas though...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »

those old rumelys have a sound of their own, too. i guess part of it is from having the exhaust empty out into that big stack at the front which also is the radiator, but is oil cooled.

The radiator / smokestack arrangement used the exhaust gas blown up through a venturi to create a suction that pulled the cooling air through the radiator. (no cooling fan) The reason that they used oil in the cooling system of the engine was to allow it to run at  much higher engine operating temperatures without "boiling over" those things were made long before the advent of ethyline glycol anti freeze and pressurized cooling systems.

The reason for the higher operating temperatures was to allow the "more succesful burning of low grade fuels" (per the manufacturer). They were sparkplug ignition low compression engines with carburetors that were designed to be started on gasoline and switched over to the "low grade fuels" after they warmed up. The "low grade fuels" they referred to were kerosene and/or fuel oil. Even back then they were 1/4 the price of gasoline.

SM6OID

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »

Hej !

A short story about the Russian tank engine.

The Brittish Meteor V12 tank engine, is a modified Merlin V12 aero engine.
The Russians did the same thingm they took the Mikulin AM-38 and "modified". and the result was a diesel tank engine. However, the difference between the Russian engines is much greater than the Brittish engines.

It is correct that Chrysler had a quite big (for larger cars) market share here, however the New Yorker that belongs to my broter served it's two prevoius owner in Riverside Calif.

Detroit Diesels are not very common here, a few were used in commercial boats, not in road vehicles.
I have been in the US a few times and I have had the privilege of hearing trucks hauling heavy loads, powered by V12 DD (and otger DD's as well). Well I suddenly remembered that we had 6V-53 plus a Boing turbine in our S-tank, hence there are e few V6 DD's on the Swedish market, turbo plus blower. The do emit a nice sound...

I wish I had the space (and possibly some extra money) to get a GM 12-567 in the garage. Here in Trollhattan a company called NOHAB produced locomotives, first steam then later diesels. They also built the V12 or V16 GM (EMD) two stroke.     

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »

6V-53s are really tough to find in these parts. I was looking for one for years to put into a pickup truck. They were not to be had for quite a while. They were primarily used in single axle dump trucks and certain industrial applications.

Their smaller size makes them ideal for swaps into smaller trucks. And with some simple mods they can make pretty good horsepower. Now I just dont have the time to persue the project.

I used to love Detroit's spec for the oil pressure. 2psi per 100rpm of operating speed. That's 10psi at idle!

KL7OF

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »

Detroit engines were very popular engines in the Bristol Bay Alaska fishing fleet...Especially when the aluminum hulled gillnetters started being built...All sizes and configurations from 6v 53 single to twin 8V92 have been used to power these 32 ft boats....The noisiest Detroits are the straight 6 models...They require two mufflers to contain the exhaust note...A lot of the tenders and support ships use 12 and 16 cyl Detroits to run deck generators....There are still alot of them in service but they are being replaced by Cummins, Volvo ,Caterpiller, and John Deere.....
  While Prairie Dog hunting one Spring in Montana...I ran across a wheat farmer that showed me the World's largest Wheel Tractor..."BIG BUD"  powered by a 16 cyl Detroit..
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »

Nothing in the way of diesels sounds any prettier than a 2-stroke 12V-71 running wide open right up "against the governor". Especially without mufflers.  But There will always be a warm spot in my heart for the good old 6-71. They just run and run. And........................ You can always rely on them to start on a cold day, unlike a Cummins.

I spent too many cold, wet miserable days out in the rain and cold getting trucks with Cummins 555s, 903s, 250s, 270s, and 350s started. We used to hook the leads from a big gas driven welder across the parallel switch to get them cranking on really cold days. That and 147 cans of either. All because the drivers wouldnt plug in the engine heaters the night before!! The Detroits would start no matter what!!

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015