The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Besides Ham Radio  (Read 41410 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: September 12, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »

Many of us have other hobbies besides radio. (at least I would hope we are not all one-trick ponies) One of my favorite passtimes for the last 35 years or so has been antique gasoline engines. as many who have come to the party have seen.

Now is the best time of the year for gas engine shows and steam engine shows. Wifey and myself went to one yesterday and my favorite one is coming up next weekend. I just thought I'd post a few pix from the show yesterday.

the Slab Bacon

* downsize.jpg (128.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 717 times.)

* Int Mogul.jpg (916.12 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 695 times.)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »

One More !

* Int Saw Rig.jpg (1035.6 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 696 times.)

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »

Those are so awsome.  I have always wanted a small steam engine to put around with (literally).
I thought it was impressive as all get out when the old steam tractor out pulled the modern models at last years fair.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »

There is an antique tractor show next weekend here which brings out a lot of gas and steam power engines.  Attendees are from all over the US and some foreign countries.  Really quite an event and very educational as well.

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »

I enjoy those shows too. The old engines are almost art as well as cool history.

I'd love to find a little steam engine that made a fraction of a horsepower and hook it up to drive a 12 volt alternator, make 20 watts or so and have steam powered QSO's. I just think that would be a hoot.

"Five-nine here old man. Rig is an ICOM 703 powered by a steam engine...." Imagine the nifty photo QSL card you could send out.  Grin

Are there any practical, small, say 1/10th hp steam engines one can acquire at any kind of reasonable price?

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1IA

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »

I remember you running the toys when we had the Timonium party.
Wish I lived closer Frank.
p.s. say hello to Carol for me Grin

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »

You can build fractional Horsepower working steam models for the cost of a used valiant.  Stuart D-10 at about 1/2hp or so runs around 150 GBP for a unmachined casting kit.   

I loved the rotating ball governors on steam engines.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

I actually prefer the gas engines to steam. I like the popping farting, backfiring etc.
Steam engines dont make much noise unless you are working them really hard.

also down here steam engines and tractors are getting to be kind of a sticky wicket with boiler inspections. Because most are moved from show to show, there was a very big issue down here that Maryland would not recognize Pennsylvania's (or other states) boiler certifications and inspections. (must be done yearly) A few years back there were no portable steam engines at Maryland shows. I think they have gotten that somewhat worked out because I am seeing them again.

Gas and oil engines, however are exempt from all of that B.S. and can be taken and shown anywhere. The inspection boondoggle was making it a very expensive proposition for the steam equipment collectors. Many of the exhibitors that have the miniature reproduction steam engines were runing them on compressed air to avoid the hassle.

Many of the same facilities that host hamfests also have Steam or gas engine and tractor shows and "fall festivals" which incorperate old engines. One that comes to mind is Berryville, Va., they usually have their annual steam and gas engine show the week before the hamfest.

for those of youse guys looking for small steam engines, originals are VERY hard to come by and very expensive when found mainly because they didnt make many of them. Small ones just didnt make enough power to do much work. You migh be better off looking for some of the reproduction model casting kits if you have some machinist skills. The "casting kit" models of both the steam and gas engines are way KOOL! ! ! There are a handful of small companies now making them.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »

The great 'Bloomsburg Fair' is scheduled to begin the last week (Sept. 25) of Sept. A typical albeit large ag fair, billed as the Largest in PA! Most of the food exhibts can be seen using the old 'hit-n-miss' engines. I know of one where the belt is tied to 6 20gal. ice cream freezers. Also usually the weekend of Labor Day, they have a tractor, and engine exhibit that goes for 2 days in Washingtonville. I love the old hit-n-miss jobbers.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »

The great 'Bloomsburg Fair' is scheduled to begin the last week (Sept. 25) of Sept. A typical albeit large ag fair, billed as the Largest in PA! Most of the food exhibts can be seen using the old 'hit-n-miss' engines. I know of one where the belt is tied to 6 20gal. ice cream freezers. Also usually the weekend of Labor Day, they have a tractor, and engine exhibit that goes for 2 days in Washingtonville. I love the old hit-n-miss jobbers.

there used to be a small show that we used to go to out in Wolfsville, Md. where they ran an ice cream maker, cider presses, and a few other food making apparatuses off of a couple of old gas engines. They used to give out samples to everyone that walked up!!
IIRC the group that held it was the Catoctan gas engine club.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »

One lungers are pretty popular in this area. A friend has a bunch of them including a belt drive portable sawmill as he heats his auto service shop with wood. Its amazing how much torque that thing puts out, I think its ony 3-4 hp  He also puts around in a 1917 Buick touring car or a 31 Model A roadster.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »

I love old engines and steam plants. Yes we have other interests!! Ham radio operators who have no other interests, well, that seems boring to me. Radio is just a hobby like everything else.

There is an Allis-Chalmers 6-cyl. in a barn for grinding corn and wheat, but it has not been used in years because of a blown head gasket. The guy's son 'cautioned' me that it is 'very large'. I am trying to find out if it still turns or not, if it is not siezed, and will fit permanently on a 1-ton trailer I have, maybe.. I just don't want to see it go to the scrap. Very large? maybe. they made them up to 800 cubic inches.

Also old computers, books, women of good morals, cats, making hot sauce, military trucks, ATV riding, general electronics, lasers, nuclear physics, boats.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:38 PM »

I don't know, building any motor is every bit as cool as building a rig
That first spin up to red line.....
Goat roper stopped by with my old Firebird so I could show him how to set it up, homebrew advance curve. When I was done he wanted to rebuild the carb. I asked why it is running perfect leave it alone. Wait till he sees what I did inside the Holley....
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »

Frank,

I believe you are familiar with the steam engine museum up this way.  Its called Rough and Tumble. 

Here is the link:
http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt_about_overvw.asp

When my dad was alive we pretty much attended the event each year.  Normally it was held sometime in August and we always had a great time.  From the website it appears they are still holding the event. 

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »

Please don't laugh, but I operated a one-lunger, similar to the one SlabBacon showed in his initial post, the one with the red water holder.

In the late 1920's my Dad wired my Grandmother's house for electricity--lights and such. It was a 32v system, powered with five 6v auto batteries in series and charged with a 32v DC generator. The generator was driven by the one-lunger, which I cranked up dozens of times before I was 9 years old. Memories of those times have never faded.

There was a fest similar to SlabBacon's 20 miles from here in MI last week, but unfortunately I was unable to attend for medical reasons. Wanted to go though.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

Frank,

I believe you are familiar with the steam engine museum up this way.  Its called Rough and Tumble.  

Here is the link:
http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt_about_overvw.asp

Joe, we havent been there for a few years, but we used to go every year. Looks like they've added some new stuff. Maybe we'll have to check it out in the spring.

In the late 1920's my Dad wired my Grandmother's house for electricity--lights and such. It was a 32v system, powered with five 6v auto batteries in series and charged with a 32v DC generator. The generator was driven by the one-lunger, which I cranked up dozens of times before I was 9 years old. Memories of those times have never faded.

There was a fest similar to SlabBacon's 20 miles from here in MI last week, but unfortunately I was unable to attend for medical reasons. Wanted to go though.

Walt

Walt,
        I have a 1919 Westinghouse 32V "light plant" (yes light plant, that's what they were called back then) in my collection. It also has a pretty neat history behind it: It was made at the East Pittsburg plant. That plant was destroyed by a flood in 1921 and Westinghouse had no records of ever making it!!  

the Light plants were usually used with banks of 4  8-volt or 16 humungus individual 2volt glass cased lead acid batteries. Very few of the glass cased batteries have survived.

Another popular use for the 32V light plants was to light up the chicken houses on farms. If they kept the chickens up later after dark, they would lay more eggs!!

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »

I love those old engines and steam locomotive tractors.  We have a fairly large tractor and antique engine show every year in New Haven, IN...just east of Ft Wayne.  Lots of fun and much to see.  They have some really large stationary oil engines (running) on display, as well.  Those things are huge!  Many were used in grain mills and in oil fields.

Then...the following week is a huge tractor and engine show at Portland, IN.  That show is one of the largest in the country, with thousands of attendees and one of the largest flea markets you have ever seen.   Just about everything there you can imagine, including tools and parts for any kind of tractor or engine.   I have even bought radio stuff there.  Found an old McElroy straight key a few years ago.

Yes, Slab...another vice besides radio...I enjoy old tractors and engines, as well as old cars & trucks.  Labor Day weekend, we usually go to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival in Auburn, IN.  just 20 mi north of Ft Wayne.  There is a huge car auction and flea market there and much to see.  Lots of walking though.  Many people use golf carts to get around the place...it is so big.  This time of year, there is a lot to do around here.  Car Shows, antique tractor and engine shows, and all kinds of festivals, including the Johnny Appleseed Festival here in Ft. Wayne (this coming weekend).

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »

Slab,

I am trying to find a photo of the 32 volt plant that was installed in the basement of my house.  It was used for farm lighting and also had a pulley takeoff connected to a sausage stuffing machine that apparently took up about 1/5 of the 1200 square foot basement.  It is all long gone except for the heavy gauge knob and tube wiring which is dead but never removed when it was upgraded.

The house has been in the family since it was built in 1901 so I am hoping one of my relatives still has the photos, I know a few were taken. 

When I moved here in 1990 the farmer a mile up the road still used one of the "one lungers" to power his water pump and you could really hear that hit and miss engine from a long distance.

Rodger

I have a 1919 Westinghouse 32V "light plant" (yes light plant, that's what they were called back then) in my collection. It also has a pretty neat history behind it: It was made at the East Pittsburg plant. That plant was destroyed by a flood in 1921 and Westinghouse had no records of ever making it!!  

the Light plants were usually used with banks of 4  8-volt or 16 humungus individual 2volt glass cased lead acid batteries. Very few of the glass cased batteries have survived.

Another popular use for the 32V light plants was to light up the chicken houses on farms. If they kept the chickens up later after dark, they would lay more eggs!!

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »

We have an auto show here at work next week. The red one lunger will be there with Rich's blown mopar. I wonder how much powder coat he has added  since the last show.
NE4AM

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »

Here in Collins Country it's the Mount Pleasant Iowa Old Threshers, every Labor Day weekend.

www.oldthreshers.org/

73 Dave

73 - Dave
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »

Lets see.....................................................
Ham radio, Antique radios, Antique gas engines, motorcycles, old mopars, drag racing, and probably a few more that I'm forgetting. Its a good thing that I dont have more room, I seriously want to dabble in old tractors and very large stationary engines.

Not to mention that I have had the hankering for another boat Huh  Huh

WHERE DOES IT END! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !   Shocked  Shocked

there is also something about listening to an engine pulling a really heavy load at WFO that is just somehow soothing to the soul  Shocked  Shocked  Huh  Huh

WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »

B17 at idle on a damp morning is one of the coolest sounds
SR71 in flight wanna run it
P&W F22 motor on the stand in full AB making big flame
F14 doing a hammer head stall and driving out vertical
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »

B17 at idle on a damp morning is one of the coolest sounds

Been there, done that, totally agree.
The sound of radial engines cannot be beat.

Was in a 1942 B-17 that idled on a foggy damp morning at Andrews AFB, then powered up and rolled out for a flight over the USAF Memorial across the Potomac. Flew right over it at about 600 feet.  I was in the front nosecone shooting stills and video, whoo !  What a rush.

It was also an honor to get to interview the 82 year old retired General who was the pilot and owner of the plane.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »

A few of life's most wonderful sounds/sights:

1.  A P-51 making a low pass, then rolling and climbing out like a rocket.  Nothing sounds quite like that low roar/rumble.

2.  A B-36 passing overhead.  Pure power!  Truely awesome.

3.  Nickel Plate Berkshire steam locomotive #765 with a full head of steam rumbling down the tracks, belching smoke and blowing the whistle.   Just being around this beauty is a wonderful experience!

4.  A big hemi-powered dragster burning up the slicks and roaring down the strip.

etc etc

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »

What is it 6 turnin and 4 burnin not that must be loud.
P51 one big ass v12 with dual motivators never heard that one
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015