The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you ever give this any thought.........  (Read 5211 times)
WZ1M

« on: September 10, 2010, 08:12:31 AM »

Most of us home brewers just grab a transformer or a choke and mount it to the chassis. Every transformer or choke I have seen, the bottom of the feet was painted. Does any one take the time to scrap of the paint before mounting. I know, the bolts and nuts will ground the case but ARE YOU SURE. Nuts will loosen up in time. The reason I ask is I had a pretty heavy piece of mod iron and had a complaint that there was a hum in the audio. Last resort was to clean the feet and remount, HUM GONE. Just thought I would throw this out there and see if any of it would stick.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

That is way too simple and only a transformer guy would think of grounding the shield can.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »

The real question is:

Do you TREAT that connection against rust/corrosion?

Especially the dissimilar metals, like screwing copper to aluminum...

Of course steel to steel (or Tin) as well...

K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I will be replacing an old transformer with a new old stock one that has never been used in my NC-183.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »

I don't see how an ungrounded modulation transformer could possibly induce hum in the audio, unless some other component is grounded to the transformer, trusting its case to serve as a grounding point.  Better to let other components have their own dedicated ground points.

Mine is permanently ungrounded.  I have it mounted on insulators so that the transformer core electrically floats free.  I usually float the cases of modulation transformers, modulation reactors and filter chokes, particularly if they are operating at more than about 40-50% of their rated DC working voltage.  Since the winding is at full HV DC potential, grounding the core puts unnecessary strain on the internal insulation, which may be fragile old paper that has deteriorated with age over the decades. Insulation breakdown between windings or from winding to case is a common problem with ancient iron. Just make sure never to touch a floating transformer case while the HV is on.

Possibly a poor connection, through the paint or rust, was somehow causing the problem. Maybe some kind of weird rf coupling was the culprit. I have seen inexplicable hums and buzzes go away after flaky but seemingly unrelated connections were repaired.

I do always ground low level audio input, interstage and output transformers.  Sometimes transformers have a separate grounding terminal so you don't have to rely on the mechanical mounting hardware on the transformer.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »

Just a thought, but perhaps that xfmr had an internal electrostatic shield between the primary and secondary windings, although I have never seen the use of such a shield in hi-level (i.e. > a few watts) audio magnetics.

Electrostatic shields are common in low-level audio xfmrs, such as microphone and line-level input and interstage units, and power xfmrs as well. These shields effectively isolate the two windings from capacitively coupling to each other, and when an electrostatic shield is provided, it must be connected to ground to realize the full capability of the xfmr. The shield is of further benefit in power xfmrs, in that a lot of the noise present on the AC line is isolated from capacitively coupling to the secondary.

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:41:35 PM »

On my big rig ALL the Iron is mounted on a 1 inch thick wood board.  No iron goes to Ground. This way, You cant arc over to the case of the iron.

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015