The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we keep so much damn radio crap?  (Read 39725 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »

Just got back from harbor freight. They had nothing close to what I need. They only had small parts bins for nuts and bolts. I will keep looking

C
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »

I prefer "Scoop Away. The containers are white, not yellow, and stack quite nicely. Save thems little desiccant packets  and throw 'em in with your stuff.

My wife thinks i'm crazy as I have 20# of rice and 10# of beens stuffed inside of one. Cheep insurance. Ya never know.

klc

What? Me worry?
WQ9E

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »

Just don't cook from the wrong container Smiley

When I was a kid my mother used to use the small tupperware containers to store flour, corn meal, etc. to take on camping trips.  After returning home from a trip my brother was eating dinner and said, "hey, there's soap in the ice tea".  My father thought there was also soap in his coffee.  The actual culprit was the pumpkin pie.  My mother had finished up the small amount of "flour" left from the camping trip mixing it with some actual flour to make the crust.  The container she grabbed was a small amount of tide laundry detergent instead of flour.  It was years before I started to like pumpkin pie again and I never developed a taste for Tide.

I prefer "Scoop Away. The containers are white, not yellow, and stack quite nicely. Save thems little desiccant packets  and throw 'em in with your stuff.

My wife thinks i'm crazy as I have 20# of rice and 10# of beens stuffed inside of one. Cheep insurance. Ya never know.

klc

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »

Rodger,
That's one way to clean you out! My mother was not all that great of a cook and she did that kind of stuff all the time from unmarked containers!
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WQ9E

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »

Rodger,
That's one way to clean you out! My mother was not all that great of a cook and she did that kind of stuff all the time from unmarked containers!
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

My grandmother grew up in the hills of TN and she was an incredible cook.  I will never forget the aroma from the spare bedroom where she stored all of the cookies and candies she made prior to Christmas.  She also made a broiled liver dish that was wonderful, I have tried broiled liver at various restaurants and from the taste of that I understand why people hate liver.  I wish I knew her secret.  My mother wasn't as serious about cooking.

Rodger WQ9E
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »

R,

I feel your pain.....

I once made a nice blond ruex with confectioners sugar.......................

klc

PS...  the trick is to leave the stuff in its original bag.

What? Me worry?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »

ugh. too much crap everywhere. just to be on topic, cleaned out 4 document boxes of parts and junk. All went into bin-boxes on shelves. Even sorted the ceramic insulators out.. heavy standoffs, light standoffs, 575A hash chokes on standoffs, through-hole standoffs. Found thirty new 2K 40W resistors in a bag. Where did those resistors come from? Into the >1K-3K/>20W-50W drawer they went. 20 drawers of power resistors. All this mess. Attacked the giant pile of fasteners. Now have a bin box each of metric, <1/4", 1/4", 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, and sheetmetal fasteners. Tried to repair a WWV RX. no dice but is restorable, unit so tagged. Repaired a Ballantine 0.05Hz to 30KHz peak to peak VTVM. It needs tubes but is OK for now, and also tagged and shoved in a rack. Dug through all the CRTs to find one a guy wanted. Found the rest of the stuff for a couple other people, now it has to be packed up.

The point is, the magical realization has struck that we don't live forever, and we ought to get rid of some of the stuff to people that want it, or just at least organize it and tag the items that we think others would find interesting. Considering the article in ER about the OM's station and hoard, what will ever become of all of the stuff we have?
Besides the junk mountain, there are always 1 or 2 things each QTH that ought not be destroyed for either historical or functional reasons. We won't care when we are dead, but others in the hobby will care. The next question is, "Will they care enough to buy it".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »

I have a 50 year collection of Skippy peanut butter jars that make great parts containers. The old glass ones don't bounce off the floor very well. Then new larger plastic ones are great.
K3ZS

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »

Back when I used to smoke a pipe, I used Union Leader tobacco.    I have a bunch of the cans full of parts.    The cans are now worth more that the parts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015