The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:31:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some vintage stations  (Read 5377 times)
WQ9E

« on: August 11, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »

Station Photos from January '37

* 1937 stations.pdf (740.56 KB - downloaded 355 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »

This isn't an attempt to hijack this thread but I just wanted to make an interesting observation about PDFs I have noticed before and been puzzled over:  Sometimes when I click on a pdf link, a viewer opens automatically and I can see the document.  Other times I just get a dialog window asking me if I want to download the file.  (That's what happened with all of Rodger's pdfs he just posted.)  When I get the dialog box I usually blow the whole thing off because it is too much trouble to download the file into a directory, manually launch a viewer and go looking for the file.  I am just curious why sometimes the pdf is automatically viewable and other times it is not and I have been wondering that for a few years and since it happened again just now I thought I'd ask.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Rob,

I am not sure but I think it might be the browser you use.  When I click with Firefox it gives me the option of either viewing or downloading.

Although it doesn't seem to matter with these small PDF files (attachment limited to 2K) with larger PDF files it seems that it is far faster to save to disk and open rather than open directly.  I assume it is the way Adobe, Foxit, and other readers handle larger PDF files.

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »

Hi Rodger,

No, it is something else.  The browser here is Firefox.  For example, if I click on the link below:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/RFI%20Main%20Page/Hallas.pdf

the pdf article opens automatically in the Firefox window.  Not to pick on you because this happens with other PDFs also, but when I click on the links to your PDFs I get a box with the only option being to download the file.  I just wonder what the difference is.   Maybe we won't figure it out.  I can ask other people who are real geeks.

rob

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »

From what I've read it looks like there can be one or more causes of the randomness of browser or some other client automagically opening a PDF file...or not.   One factor can be PDF security settings that Adobe allows on the file (I don't think that's our problem here).  Another factor has to do with the way the client is configured or the Acrobat (or other PDF viewer) or browser version in use, or the integration of the viewer into the web client.  Then there are variations in server configurations.  One such variation is whether or not the server is set up for "byte serving."  If it is not, then you may run into problems having an automatic view of the PDF.

Basically it boils down to another slightly flakey technology in use.  Oh well, my curiosity is satisfied at least.   Smiley

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »

I am unable to open those PDF files on my computer at work.  I assumed that it was due to some configuration of the firewall or the fact that they are using an old version of IEX for a browser.  I also have problems downloading MP3 files off of this board.  So for those attachments, I am blind and deaf.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
KC2YOI
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »

That's neat stuff.

I like the predecessor to the desk Kilowatt in the bottom pick.  Wink

That boy's set up for rag chew.
                                                   DJ
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »

I am unable to open those PDF files on my computer at work.  I assumed that it was due to some configuration of the firewall or the fact that they are using an old version of IEX for a browser.  I also have problems downloading MP3 files off of this board.  So for those attachments, I am blind and deaf.

73,  Jack, W9GT

JPG posted...

Use your big station tomorrow to check in to the classic radio net Smiley  I am NCS and the weather forecast doesn't sound good QRN wise.

* stations.jpg (1001.32 KB, 1553x2231 - viewed 414 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »

Roger,
Thanks for posting those vintage ham shack pictures.  They sure show some FB construction practices.  In the early 30's a lot of the gear was built on masonite panels when the op could not afford either bakelite or metal panels.  The Hams used what they had and got quite inovative at times!  Racks were often made of wood as well.  Until Don, K4KYV talked about his spring mounted D-104 I had never seen one like that.  I have a very early D-104 with the little red Astic bag that goes over the head to protect it when its not being used.  The pedestal is more like a candle stick style.  It was given to me many years ago by W3ZO of Parkesburg.  His original call was W3CBT which goes back to the late 20's or early 30's.  Fun stuff for sure.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »

I like that. "Yowser!- A 'pip' of a hamstation......."

I would like to have a 'pip' of a ham station.  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »

'pip'

yep, those guys new what they were doing.They invented Picture In Picture and now we know the rest of the story Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »

I am unable to open those PDF files on my computer at work.  I assumed that it was due to some configuration of the firewall or the fact that they are using an old version of IEX for a browser.  I also have problems downloading MP3 files off of this board.  So for those attachments, I am blind and deaf.

73,  Jack, W9GT

JPG posted...

Use your big station tomorrow to check in to the classic radio net Smiley  I am NCS and the weather forecast doesn't sound good QRN wise.

Hey, thanks Rodger.  I am able to see it now.  PDF works OK at home, but not so much at work.  Great info.  I love going thru those old mags.  The old "Radio" magazines from the 30's are also great sources of info on vintage gear and stations.  Well, I should be checking in with the old Federal tomorrow morning.  Standby for big improvements in the antennas at 'GT radio.  Hopefully, in next few weeks, I will be getting a bucket truck on site and doing some serious antenna work.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »

Be sure to take photos Jack!  I am thinking about renting one of the bigger lifts to do some repair on the 4 element quad but with the lack of sunspots I have not been in any rush.  The full wave horizontal loop and Hy Tower vertical have worked OK in the interim.

You always have a good signal here with the Federal so it will be interesting to note how much improvement there is from your antenna upgrade.

I will have both the Drake R-8 and Halli SX-88 receiving with the Ranger/Desk tomorrow to see which does better under heavy QRN; of course if the storms are right on top the antennas will be grounded and hopefully an alternate net control will pick up the net.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015