The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:47:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "BUD" Blue-Grey Paint Color?  (Read 9129 times)
KC4VWU

« on: August 08, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »

Waiting for parts again, so the ART-13 is taking a rest. I moved on to a Globe Scout and I'm trying to determine how to restore the cabinet. The wrinkle finish is in pretty good shape, however discolored with some small rust spots, stains, and fading. The color is pretty unique, I call it BUD bluish-grey; and I'm sure a lot of you are very familiar with it. I don't think I've seen another manufacturer use that shade except for BUD. Has anyone here ever played with the color match on this shade or have any formula specs? If not, I could take it to the local PPG here and have them try to match it. The only downside is I'll have to buy a gallon minimum. If anyone is interested, I could have it charged into spray cans; figure 10 or 12 bucks a can. I'd like to have 2-3 cans max. for myself. It wouldn't be wrinkle type paint, but would be good for a light overspray to recolor and retain the original texture.

Phil
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »

Hmmm... who and how is it charged into spray cans?? This is a new one on me!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »

Piedmont Industrial Coatings. A place here in town. I have had them match up a few colors before, but end up with a gallon can and only use about a pint or two. Eventually, I may use it all; but you know the shelf life can't be extremely long. I've never had them charge any spray cans for me, but they can do it.

Phil
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »

Hey Guys..Phil is correct Bear..our local NAPA auto parts store has this service for approx $22 a can..it's acrylic enamel hi-gloss finish..ya got to bring them a 3"x3" sample to computor match..available in either metalic or solid color..Sherwin Williams may or may not do it in ur area as they once did here but no more unless ya want a 12 can case lot..ONE BIG advantage for the odd ball rig to restore or even the various greens of Heath or various gray tones of National..NO wrinkle I'm aware of..that's available here from VIP in either black or red only..haven't "discovered" any other source yet..as to Phils suggestion of PPG I'm not surprised but unless I missed sumptin none here in So Me............if you will allow I know this comment is a bit off topic but boy would I love to see a listing of various "colors" of various rigs displayed in the restoration postings as a help-mate for those who do there own painting of chassis/panels..where they get them..from who and maybe the stock color number as well..just a thought..73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KC4VWU

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »

Dave, that is something I've always wanted to do, but just can't find the time. If you have access to a copy of the 6/2010 ER mag, check out the article Jeep Platt (K3HVG) wrote on restoring wrinkle finishes. I need to drop him an email and ask a few questions.

With just a little experience, I've found that color matching can be a crap shoot. I recently ordered a can of St. James Grey off E-pay to touch up some minor places on my 75A2, and while it matches perfectly, when I tried it on the 'A3 you can discern a subtle difference in shade. Back in the day, paint mixes between batches varied a little and then you have aging added to the problem.

Most of my stuff starts from basket cases anyways, so if I can get it close, I'm usually happy with the outcome.

Phil     
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »

Phil you are most correct about the "crap shoot" part of re-painting..I think it's a combination of a few years down the road for the next one off the assy line back then and where and how it was stored plays a big part in trying to match the shade just right..in my case at this time I have a restorable NC125 among the "bunch" on shelves here..the spkr matches my NC173 for size and color but not even close as that paint scheme is very different..currently I have the spkr from an NC183 now mated to the 173 but again the shading is slightly off.............don't have the ER mag but do know someone who has..will check it out..for the most part I honestly try my best NOT to re-paint if I can..but sometimes ya just gotta..gud luk in ur restoration efforts and I suppose maybe transferring this posting to RESTORATIONS here might be a start to allow the OMs and XYLs a place to put a helpful hint about what they used in painting restoration for the rest of us..oh well my .02 worth anyhoo         73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
KC4VWU

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »

It sound kinda like you're a National Nut also. I've owned a lot of other brands, but I love that heavy metal from Malden, MA. !! I have a total of about 10 Nationals so far.

Phil
KC4VWU

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

Got it. Looks like a dead ringer so far. I'll post how it does in a few days.

Phil
KC4VWU

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »

O.K. guys, overspray is complete. My first time with a real paint gun, words can't describe what's going through my mind right now. All I can say is, I'll probably never go back to a spray can unless I absolutely have to.

There are a few small spots where I had to use rust converter that are noticeably shinier. Overall, I'm totally impressed. I'll post some pics when it's safe to handle.

BTW, I went with O'Reilly Auto Parts for the paint. Used Dupont Nason Ful-Cryl II and the paint guy Mike mixed it perfect.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015