The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Router QSB  (Read 7989 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

My main computer is a desktop unit and secondarily, I use a laptop. The internet cable feeds a cable modem, which feeds a wireless router that  includes several Ethernet receptacles. The main desktop unit is hard wired to the router with an Ethernet cable.  When I use the laptop in the kitchen, at the far end of the house, the wireless signal drops in strength as expected, but the problem is that it varies, seemingly at random, anywhere from 1 to 4 bars.  I can usually shift  the position of the laptop and get it up at  least to two bars, since the 1-bar signal often slows down the connection or drops it altogether.

I thought it was the router, which my wife bought so she could use her work laptop at home, and she purchased the cheapest one she could find, a small unit with no visible external antenna. I managed to get the signal strength up a little by purchasing a longer ethernet cable for the main computer and moving the router to a different position on the bench.

But this past weekend I visited my daughter who lives out of town, and helped her set up her new laptop.  She shares the wireless connection with the people in the downstairs apartment.  I noticed exactly the same thing with hers. Her signal strength varied randomly from two bars to five, even though the router is located in the apartment just under hers, and it is a small house.

Is this normal?  Why wouldn't the signal be absolutely steady 24/7 unless the laptop or the router were physically moved around or some obstacle, like a person or a large piece of furniture that contained metal, were placed in between?  I think most night-time signals on 40m have less QSB.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »

Was the apartment below occupied? If people are moving around in it, the signals strength could be affected.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:36 PM »

Microwave ovens.
Cellphones.
Cordless phones.
Other people's wireless routers.

Any of these, and similar things operating in the nearby area can affect your router signal strength.

WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »

Yes, things can easily affect low power / 2.4GHz signal strength, but it won't matter unless it gets so bad that you notice a drop in the thruput data rate. (you've noticed it at home) The thruput rate can be checked by looking at the software that controls the computer's wireless card or external adapter, and when signals are really PW can provide an easier way to measure improvement than the crude 5- or 6-bar system with its lag time sampling.

One thing to check is whether anyone within range has another router on the same wi-fi channel.  Most wireless adapters have a site survey function allowing you to look for signals. Often it will say what channel a given signal is on. If there's more than one signal on the default Ch. 6, the person who administers and has access to the wireless router can change the channel to another.

Computers in range of the signal typically find the new channel automatically, using the SSID, and without having to change any WEP or login authentication.  Sometimes people will disable the beacon that transmits the SSID, so your computer won't "see" such a signal.  When all else fails, just change the router's channel to some other clear channel and check for improvement.
K3ZS

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »

Download a program called Network Stumbler (www.netstumbler.com), I installed that in my netbook.    You can find out the other wireless networks in range and their channels and status.    Many people just use the default channel and unsecured operation and default passwords.    I was suprised at this by going to the edge of my property and was able to access the internet on about 2 other unsecured networks.    I live in rural area, nothing is very close, but I changed to an unused RF channel on the modem.    I found that my 2.4 GHz phone wipes out my wireless net no matter what channel I put the wireless modem on.   I picked up a 5.8 Ghz phone at a garage sale and use that.   My 900 Mhz spread spectrum phone has great range and doesn't cause any interference.    My microwave oven causes the connection to go from very good to poor.
KC9RGF

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »

I had much the same problem a few months ago. I tried all kinds of things including range boosting usb devices for my laptop, nothing worked consistently. Finally upgraded from wireless G to wireless N and problem solved. This is the router I bought  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Wireless-N+150+Router/9826287.p?id=1218179416625&skuId=9826287   
KC2YOI
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »

A good excuse for home brew / hack projects.

Big Db & S/N potential for little money.

Some are really clever.

http://www.google.com/images?q=wireless%20antenna%20yagi&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1003&bih=621
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »

I had much the same problem a few months ago. I tried all kinds of things including range boosting usb devices for my laptop, nothing worked consistently. Finally upgraded from wireless G to wireless N and problem solved.

That really is the solution.  The only time I have any problem like this is when I have a guest in the house and have to enable b/g compatibility in the network.  On b/g, everybody and their brother is on Ch 6 as the usual default -- just asking for trouble.

Relative to SSID, mentioned in another post, unless you want to be an unwitting public network, turn it O-F-F!  

Grant/NQ5T
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »

If it wasn't mentioned already, something to keep in mind is that the WiFi channels are not discrete.  That is, they overlap in bandwidth, so users on adjacent channels raise your noise floor and reduce your signal.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »

I'm sure it is just a software algorithm problem causing the bars to read low. You really have a 5 bar signal all the time and it's just measuring the signal strength the wrong way. ~O

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »

Hey Don
Over here in our 'warm' vacation spot the land lord is supplying internet through her unsecured linksys rooter. There's quite a distance from her rooter and the signal varies from 2 bars to 4 bars. I bought a USB signal booster and 5 solid bars!!. But now that's an extra piece of hardware hanging around.
The usual computer thing happened to me here and the HDD crashed. Bought a new laptop and the USB booster won't work on WIN 7. HA!
When we use the magic jack I carry the laptop to the window facing her building and get 5 bars. Gives better, unjerky, telephone audio.

BEWARE of unsecured networks!!!! Someone 'followed' me to my ebay account and started spamming other users. My account was suspended by ebay, until I got on-line chat and they explained what happened. They suggested new pass words on everything that links to ebay. Email,PayPal,etc.
The days of antennas on wireless rooters seems to have disappeared. I guess they were going too far
I hope STEVE QIX is reading coz we have been mis-pronouncing Router. I have talked to Brits visiting here in the RP and we talk computers and they even say rooter..................so we USA types are wrong.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »

Good comments, and Brian, you are right about the Airport Extreme. I have had one for 4 years now with absolutely no problems at all. Before that it was the typical Netgears and such. The LinkSys routers would have to be the best ones besides the Airport.

Good notes on security also. Here's what I do:

- CHANGE LOG IN NAME AND PASSWORDS TO THE ROUTER (sorry to yell, but so many don't do this)
- Change and Hide SSID to avoid casual scanning
- Turn off unused channels
- Use MAC Authentication
- WPA2 security
- Assign only the number of IP Addresses you need for all of your devices

And last, but not least: Use Ethernet whenever possible! Nothing beats a wired connection!

With these steps, you will greatly reduce the risks of network snooping, and increase network reliability.

-Tim
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »

I had a Linksys router for years until its power supply finally crapped out; replaced it with another Linksys and absolutely no issues.  Also have a Linksys at the lake QTH and no issues with that one either.  None of them have ever had an issue connecting to any laptop we've had, once the MAC address is joined, and no signal QSB problems.  Both houses are relatively isolated, however; we;re on an acre at the home QTH and in a 3-unit townhouse at the lake.  I can see only one other network (the unit next door) at the lake.

Here in Greece you get a combo wireless router/DSL modem from OTE, no choice.  Dunno who makes it, but it works Fine Business also.  I can see about a dozen networks from my apartment; only one is unsecured.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015