The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HP and Gears  (Read 4425 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: August 03, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »

There's nothing like horsepower and gear ratio when the heavy work needs done!

* HP and Gears.jpg (88.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 445 times.)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »

I used mine to haul the cherry picker to the back of the van, offload an almost 400# mod xfmr, and haul it and the picker to the basement bulkhead where it was carefully lowered into the cave.

It also hauls telephone poles around for the 4 squares and elevated feedlines and control cables.

Its a dedicated workhorse that I picked up at the transfer station (town dump for city people) and spent about 10 minutes to get it running about 5-6 years ago after the other one threw a rod. Its also used to keep the trails thru the woods mowed and blown clean so I can get to the Beverages and control box.

Another hauls a cart for whatever needs to be moved, brush, wood, iron, etc.; mower deck is removed and used for parts.

Two more do the real lawn mowing, one for wide and fast running and the other for close in trimming, spot work, etc.

All came from the same source, all Craftsman 12-18 HP; its amazing what fools throw away that is easily fixed. Damn city people move to the country and are totally clueless.

Carl
Former city boy
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »

I hear ya Carl.

This one had a bad fuel pump. $30 and 20 minutes got it running again. When the guy found out he wanted it back. I said OK... for $800! That's what it's worth. You gave it to me. It's mine.

I got another Ford 120 1966 vintage that does the plowing and major hauling.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »

Nice!  Can you say "Mechanical Advantage"Huh

It is amazing what people chuck out because they can't be bothered to spend a few bucks and minutes to fix.  chain saws, snow blowers, lawn mowers, various electronics devices. All things I have pulled from scrap heaps and resurected with little effort and minimal cost to me.  I wonder if one could make a few dollars selling "refurbished" equipment at heavily discounted rates that way.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »

E,
I wish you were closer.................  I can't get the recoil spring in my homelite chainsaw 'rewound'....   last time I fixed it 20 years ago, it was just a bit tedious to do. Now the pea brane has dried up and I cant remember how2 do it.   Another 10 min job thats going to take 4 or 5 hours....  back to Thurosealing the shack.

klc

What? Me worry?
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »

<<<all Craftsman 12-18 HP;>>>

I always thought anything Craftsman had a lifetime guarantee.   Anthing at all happens and Sears fixes or replaces it for free.  They didn't even know that or else Sears backed out of that claim.  I'll have to find out.  I always paid for Craftsman, pretty good non-pro quality.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »

Craftsman is... or was real good at that. Dad bought a mower in '55 (the year I was born) and I cut with it till '78. They rebuilt it once in '71.
Never really had a complaint about Craftsman stuff.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:17 PM »

<<<all Craftsman 12-18 HP;>>>

I always thought anything Craftsman had a lifetime guarantee.   Anthing at all happens and Sears fixes or replaces it for free.  They didn't even know that or else Sears backed out of that claim.  I'll have to find out.  I always paid for Craftsman, pretty good non-pro quality.

Only hand tools, non-motorized.....

Very limited warrantee on power equipment.

Break a hammer... grab a new one off the shelf, no problem, free replacement.

Break a sander after 6 months,  grab a new one off the shelf and PAY FOR IT.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015