The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Thunderbolt Power plug.  (Read 26427 times)
WQ9E

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »

Slab,

The Pacemaker seems to have a horrible reputation but mine was easy to restore and has held its alignment properly for four years now.  Paired with a RME-6900 it makes a decent all mode station.  The only unusual problem I ran into was a coil with a wire strand intermittently shorting to ground which took a little searching to find.  You do have to ride the VFO a bit to counteract the drift but it is still better than my Eico 753.

These low drive linears are fun to play with and I made a few contacts using my QRP Yaesu FT-817 driving a KL-1 Chippewa.  The 2E26 is a neat little tube, it looks like a compact 6146 and seems to have been more popular in homebrew designs than commercial.

Rodger WQ9E
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »

Rodger,
          The 2E26 IS a neat little tube!! Terribly oerlooked by builders. I think of it as 1/2 of 6146. 2 can make 55w of audio in shove-yank with no problems if you push them into a little grid current (AB2). They used a lot of them in older low powered commercial 2-way stuff, and they are pretty good for VHF stuff as well. They are cheap and plentiful, I have a 5-gallon drywall bucket full of them. You can also plug them in in place of 6146s in older 100w rigs to reduce the outpoot to drive a leanyour. Usually they can be plugged in with no circuit mods, making a nice, easily reversable modification.

Clark,
        I / we didnt say they only did 100w, we said somewhere between 150-200w.
I know, I've had one for many years. I've ran it up to 350w or so, and it wouldn't make any positive peaks, not to mention not sound very good. I found 200w was a comfortable operating range.

Unlike class C where you can easily see 60-70+% plate efficiency, in leanyour service expect to get somewhere around 33%. That is why linear AM was not very popular back in the days of the 1kw DC input power limit. Why run 330 wats when you could get 6-700w out in a plate modulated rig. That is also why big screen or cathode modulated transmitters werent built. It was a plate efficiency thing.

you really seem to like the T-bolt, as a novelty rig they are pretty kool, but I just cant get serious about one. If you changed out the plate tank, and ran the Ep up to 3000-3500v they would prolly kick ass and take names. However if a bullfrog had wings, it would never bump it's ass!!   Grin  Grin

It is a shame you dont live closer, I would give you my T-bolt, that way you could have one to szht on and one to cover it up with  Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015