The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:02:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WARC Band RX & TX Converter??  (Read 3281 times)
sndtubes
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »

Is anyone aware of a WARC band RX and TX converter circuit that can be used with our old boatanchors?  It would be very nice to be able to use my 75A4 and KWS1 on the WARC bands.   

I obtained a Dentron 160XV that I'm going to try out with my KWS1.  If it works well, it would be nice to have a similar item for 30, 17 and 12 meters.

I'm not capable of designing my own unit, so I'd at least need some sort of circuit.....

73, Mike WB0SND
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:06:44 AM »

Mike,

I haven't seen any published construction articles for a WARC transverter but your Dentron 160 provides a good example starting point.  Additional ideas (receiver converter articles,  SSB transmitters which use a mixer system with a linear RF chain) can be found in any of the 70's and earlier ARRL handbooks.

There may be a construction article out there but most of the WARC related stuff is in the category of modifying an existing transceiver to add the additional bands.

If you are just looking for AM/CW then think Johnson Viking 1 or 2 with either a homebrew VFO or a Signal Shifter with the military coil sets (to cover all ranges) for the transmit side and any good general coverage receiver (HQ-180A, Super Pro, NC-400, NC-2-40-D, SX-100, Drake R-4 or SPR-4 with range crystals or synthesizer, or one of the more modern SS synthesized units).

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »

Also the HT-20.  There was an ER article once about restoring the HT-20 by John Lyles I think, and he wrote that the night 17 meters opened for amateur use he was there with his HT-20, perhaps operating AM but it might have been CW but anyway he wrote that he had one of the few or only American made rig on 17 that first night 17 was available for hams.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »

I use a WW-2 Signal Shifter on 30M regularly as it came with a full coil set. It was part of the Meissner 150B package used by the Army.

I also have a postwar EX Signal Shifter with the 6M coil strip which actually tunes 25 mc so thats useable on 12M. However since I got the 160M coil strip it has been rededicated.

I presently use a Viking II CDC on 12M with a slighty retuned National 62 VFO and the stock 122 VFO on 10/15/20M. The Viking CDC model will operate from 1.6 to 30mc continuously.

On 17M I run an ATC (Navy ART-13) which just makes it into the phone band where Ive had many enjoyable Q's.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015