The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:31:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A modern 50 KW AM BCB transmitter  (Read 28452 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »

Bill, congratulations on getting the Nautel there.  I of course have never even been in the same room with an operating 50 KW rig but I'm told avoiding a 3DX50 is something to be thankful for.  I understand if ur aux is a dx50 that's different.
Fred, I think WSM is the only 1-A still programming music.  They sound great but I don't believe they're doing any digital; analog only.   A few years ago the licensee wanted to take them to some kind of talk format and so many people in Nashville raised hell about it that they backed off and stuck with music.

I think to date the IBOC thing has no listeners (or very few--does anyone have any non-ham average radio listener friends who own digital AM receivers?) because the AM broadcast demographic is pretty much people like us, namely, adults with a common sense view of technology--if it ain't broke, leave it alone.   Analog AM seems to work just FB thanks, but I'll bet the managers running the business now are all folks young enough to be our kids.  To them, anything digital is WONDERFUL and it goes no farther than that. 

For a lot of radio listeners the place where the listening gets done is in the car.  If manufacturers start putting IBOC receivers in new cars, AM digital listening may pick up.

For voice though, which is most of AM now, I think it is a waste.  In fact, domestic AM stations could go analog and start rolling their audio off at around 6 KHz and it would probably be okay.

If Limbaugh would ever talk about studio work, and hosting a talk show, two things he actually knows something about, I'd listen to him.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »

Not my taxes.  

Funding commercials because I buy a product is hardly the same as funding a network via taxes that is in bed with the government. You're flailing now Don.   Grin

Yep, same goes for the windbags on NPR. Living off the taxpayers and blowing hot air. SSB would be too good for them.

Like it or not, whether you pay taxes or not, you are paying out of your pocket for the mindless garbage on commercial radio and TV whether you watch and listen to it or not.  For example, if you pay medical insurance premiums or purchase prescription meds, you are subsidising the TV broadcast industry.  Who do you think ultimately finances the "ask your doctor" commercials?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

Not my taxes.  

Funding commercials because I buy a product is hardly the same as funding a network via taxes that is in bed with the government. You're flailing now Don.   Grin

Do you have a choice, if you take out medical insurance?  I'd bet those Ask Your Doctor commercials siphon off as much, percentage-wise, from your premium payments as public broadcasting does from your tax payments.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »

Yes, I can choose to have health insurance or not. And I can choose which health insurance I buy. Either way, no taxes are involved, so I really don't see any support for your premise. Did you hear such nonsense on NPR?

Not my taxes. 

Funding commercials because I buy a product is hardly the same as funding a network via taxes that is in bed with the government. You're flailing now Don.   Grin

Do you have a choice, if you take out medical insurance?  I'd bet those Ask Your Doctor commercials siphon off as much, percentage-wise, from your premium payments as public broadcasting does from your tax payments.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Did you hear such nonsense on NPR?
You obviously have never listened to NPR and you're totally clueless to what is broadcast there.

Yes, I can choose to have health insurance or not. And I can choose which health insurance I buy. Either way, no taxes are involved, so I really don't see any support for your premise.

You are not forced to contribute tax money to NPR or anything else you disapprove of, any more than you are forced to pay for advertising through the purchase of commercial products. You have the right to terminate your employment.  Just as you can choose not to have medical insurance (although you will contribute even more to the Ask Your Doctor commercials by paying for your pills out of your pocket), you can choose not to have a job with a pay check, and therefore avoid any tax liability. Subsist off the land, grow your own food, make your own clothes, and barter for life's other necessities so that no money ever changes hands.  A political candidate made national headlines recently at a public forum when she encouraged citizens to try bartering with their doctor.  "In the olden days, our grandparents, they would bring a chicken to the doctor." Chickens for check-ups.

BTW, I don't think NPR and PBS get a lot of their money from tax dollars any more.  The majority of their financing comes from corporate underwriting.  Local stations also depend on commercial underwriters but about 50% of their income comes from voluntary contributions from listeners. Our local station accumulated over $100,000 during their most  recent pledge drive.  If that many people were willing to put their money where their mouth is, the station must be doing something right.

The fine line of distinction between "underwriting" and commercial advertising is becoming increasingly blurred. Who says there are no commercials on public broadcasting?  But at least their  "underwriter acknowledgements" are far less obnoxious that most of the commercials that appear on the vast wasteland, and they don't (yet) interrupt the programming.  The day they start interrupting the show with those announcements is the day I'll stop watching and listening.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »

Um, did I miss something?
I thought that the new healthcare law will require us to have health insurance starting in 2014.  If you don't buy the insurance you will receive a tax penalty for the year.
Was that pulled out at some point?
W2ZE
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »

Um, did I miss something?

Um... Did I miss the post about a new broadcast transmitter?
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »

Where did this item become a discussion about taxes and PBS/NPR?

Bill, nice transmitter.  My brother there in Denver listens to that station...

Actually his office, till he retired and sold his business, was just across the
     way from the current PBS studio complex.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »

When the NPR zombies showed up to defend their taxpayer funded hot air shows.

Bill, nice transmitter.  My brother there in Denver listens to that station...

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

Wow, that is a great transmitter.  Plus you got a lot of cool and usefull features.  Man that Smith chart display is great, I WISH I could have a VNA in the shack. 

Any chance for some internal pics? -- just curious.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

When the NPR zombies showed up to defend their taxpayer funded hot air shows.

Actually, the thread hijack started before NPR/PBS was ever mentioned, when politico-ditto heads showed up to defend talk radio windbags against the suggestion that AM "talk" could just as well use slopbucket as IBOC / "HD".

- - -
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »

Wow, that is a great transmitter.  Plus you got a lot of cool and usefull features.  Man that Smith chart display is great, I WISH I could have a VNA in the shack. 

Yup, will do soon. I worked an overnighter last night and need to chill out today.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 10:35:47 AM »

I took a pic yesterday of the front inside, the back door is interlocked and I didn't want to shut it down.

The thing only vaguely resembles a traditional radio transmitter when you open the door. 20 years ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what was the box was for, LOL. It occurs to me that there is not a single RF tuning adjustment in the thing
The top 1/3 of the cabinet is all computer, control and display. The exciter is the dark green board in the center. The frequency can be locked to GPS. Unseen behind the top panel is a large inductor which is part of the output pi network. The middle section of the box contains the 20 plug-in RF modules. The 3-1/8" rigid feedline and power connections come out of the top. The combining network is a series transformer arrangement where the output of each RF module is shorted across when it is removed to maintain the series connection on the primary of the combiner. All the modules are hot-swappable and overall the box will still make 50 KW with two removed at the same time.

The CAT-5 cable dangling from the CPU on the left door is connected to the corporate WAN, you can VNC right into the control screen, I do from here at home.

Picture #2 is the ATU at the base of the tower. The buried 4" Heliax feedline from the transmitter enters the shack on the right. That's the big brass fitting. The larger of the inductors is wound with 1-1/2" dia tubing. There is a pair of 1000 pf, 30 KV Jennings vacuum caps on the panel to the right which I will need to replace this coming week. Too many lightning hits over the last 50 years. You can hear the radio station audio FB in the doghouse, the inductors rattle with modulation and make tinny-sounding audio transducers.

* nx50.jpg (82.75 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 634 times.)

* dog house.jpg (49.83 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 631 times.)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

And for you solid stare dudes (Steve?), the output beans are vendor P/N APT5010JFLL. Made by Advanced Power Technology. Data file here:

http://www.microsemi.com/datasheets/5010JFLL.PDF

So, that would be 4 per module x 20 modules = 80 fets in the output of the thing, about 700 watts carrier output at W/125% modulation per bean.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »

Okay Bill, very cool.   Speaking of cool, how much air moves through the box?  Or, more important, what's the fan setup?  I imagine a few big axial fans moving air in and out.  I wonder how loud they are. 

The ATU was interesting to look at.  I didn't see the caps, maybe because of the photo resolution, so I wondered about them.  I saw what looked like two inductors in series and the one 1.5 inch tubing one to ground.  so I was thinking there's gotta be a capacitor in there somewhere  Cheesy.   The RF current sensor and static drain choke both were a bit smaller than I expected--must be new technology hi hi.

Rob

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

Okay Bill, very cool.   Speaking of cool, how much air moves through the box?  Or, more important, what's the fan setup?  I imagine a few big axial fans moving air in and out.  I wonder how loud they are.  

They're axial fans and not loud at all. They suck air in from a filter on the back door and duct it out the top. Remember, the box is 90% efficient, so not much heat.

The ATU was interesting to look at.  I didn't see the caps, maybe because of the photo resolution, so I wondered about them.  I saw what looked like two inductors in series and the one 1.5 inch tubing one to ground.  so I was thinking there's gotta be a capacitor in there somewhere  Cheesy.   The RF current sensor and static drain choke both were a bit smaller than I expected--must be new technology hi hi.

Rob

Rob, good guess, that static drain choke, it's an autotransformer for the mod and air monitors. Maybe 200 turns of #16 and a tap one turn from the bottom end feeds a small coax line into the TX building-

The stick is at DC ground via the big inductors at the upper left and right. Draw it out with a pencil, it's a tapped L network.

Nevertheless, the peak current in lightning happens in around 1 uS, or a megahertz, so it might be a low Z for DC, but not necessarily for lightning.

The meter on the left is a Delta Electronics RF ammeter. They don't make the old-timey bakelite ammeters any more. It's RF sample comes from the octagonal current transformer just above the meter. Also sends an RF current reading to the remote control.  Man, I got one heck of an RF burn just touching that RF ammeter's case..Supposedly grounded.. That is one scary room to be in with the parts buzzing with the audio, I need to get some brass screen underwear..Or chain mail armor..

Here's the two vacuum caps. Their ends are pointing towards the camera.

* dog house2.JPG (53.5 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 515 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »

Thanks Bill, I see why I could not make out the caps, they were end-on to the camera.   It's always interesting to see that the high power tuners are basically like ham tuners just bigger

Yes I was puzzled by the big choke and the only thing I could think of was static drain but the ones I have seen for that at lower power stations were longer. 
So I thought because it looks like a newer ATU someone figured out they could get away with making them smaller.  Well autotransformer explains it.   Ok on the RF burn--wow that must have been a real scorcher.  I have a Delta RF current transformer here that came out of a 1 KW station, it is the model TCT-3, 1 V / Amp and I'm going to do something with it when I get around to it, not sure exactly what, but I'm hanging on to it because it's one of those things I don't see every day.  I got 3 of them originally when a local station with a 4 tower DA shut down and one of the guys who managed it let me have all three for around $15 or $20.  At the time I only vaguely thought they might come in handy but the price was so low I got them.   I guess one idea I had was to put it out at the inverted L and run wire or tubing from the tuner out there to the base of the L then run a coax line back to the shack and look at the current on the antenna in the shack.  That might be useful if I ever put a remote controlled tuner out there.  I also got a static drain choke I put out between the bottom of the 75 m. vertical and ground.
Yeah I've heard about the parts singing in tuning houses before--must be kind of spooky.

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »

Dig the Ciss or the input capacitance! Not necessarily out of range for high current FETS.

They must be using about 250 Volts Vdd?

Are they driving theses modules with a sine-wave or a pulse?

In the Harris system, they would detect the driving waveforms' zero crossover before unclamping the (lower) gate transistors in the classD Full-Bridge amp.

Phil - Ac0OB  

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »

Dig the Ciss or the input capacitance! Not necessarily out of range for high current FETS.

They must be using about 250 Volts Vdd?

Are they driving theses modules with a sine-wave or a pulse?

In the Harris system, they would detect the driving waveforms' zero crossover before unclamping the (lower) gate transistors in the classD Full-Bridge amp.

Phil - Ac0OB  

Phil, the PA stages run on 400 VDC. Two FETs are in series across the B+. The gates are driven with a varying duty-cycle square wave. Yes, each PA stage consists of four FETs in an H configuration. The RF load would be the horizontal part of the H. The upper right and lower left FETs turn on simultaneously, then the upper left and lower right FETs are turned on.  So your guess was close, each FET sees 200 volts. Their gates are driven with transformers.
DMOD
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

Thanks for the info Bill. Nautel has some nice technology.

It appears to be the modulation method in which the duty cycle ratio of the RF pulse is applied to the gates, sometimes called the "monopolar" PWM system.

Instead of applying a filtered PWM signal to the drains (as in conventional ClassE), the duty-cycle or width of the input switching waveforms is applied to a wide-band gate transformer, which drives the finals (4 pills) in an H-bridge configuration.  

I wouldn't be suprised if those (gate driving) input transformers were transmision line transformers.

Phil- AC0OB

Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WA1GFZ

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »

I always run transformer coupled drive in my PDM rigs for isolation. My 160 meter rig runs square wave drive with a BB transformer. PDM at gate drive would be hard work above BC band. 1% modulation is a high frequency but getting it to function flat to 100% is a trip. HMMM I wonder if there is some DSP involved in making it clean. Lot of stuff happening every 1/2 microsecond. Now if we could duplicate it at 125 ns. I'm dreaming of an FPGA with a tracking A/D
Very cool design. I can see how it is more efficient than a DX50. All modules work all the time so there doesn't need to be any extra swithes to remove B+ from the bridges turned off and shorting the combiner primary winding.

DMOD
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 12:29:23 AM »

HMMM I wonder if there is some DSP involved in making it clean. Lot of stuff happening every 1/2 microsecond.

I am sure there is some feedforward DSP going on as well as some phase and amplitude correction circuits keeping track of things and making high speed adjustments.

Phil - AC0OB

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

Here's a couple more pix from yesterday. Had to fix a problem in the series combiner and I had the hood up.

First is the PA matching network which is located in the upper 1/3 of the cabinet. The upper 1/4 box has two of the biggest ceramic caps that I have ever seen. Not mica or vacuum, ceramic caps made in England. (The blue things) Maybe 6" in diameter and two inches tall, end to end. Like monster versions of those TV sweep fiilter caps from the 1950s. The coil on the lower right compartment is made of paralleled 3/4" copper water pipes. Some serious I in that inductor.

Next is a closer-up of one of the 20 (ea) PA modules. The four RF PA transistors terminals are on the right, 10 KW PEP and more out of just 4 pills. Wow.
Yes, they manage to run 10KW+ PEP through those PC edge connectors out to the series combiner. Modules are broadband, 530 KHz to 1700 KHz. Who needs PL-259s? I never would have guessed that one could use those common PC card connectors for lots of RF.

The modulator FETs are on the underside of the board so you can't see them (Yes, they still make Orange Drop caps!)- The caps on the board are soldered to the modulator FETs beneath.

* Matching Network.jpg (62.33 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 617 times.)

* PA Module.jpg (26 KB, 528x400 - viewed 582 times.)

* PA Module 2.jpg (28.1 KB, 528x400 - viewed 553 times.)
John K5PRO

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »

Amazing that Nautel used Orange Drop polyester capacitors on a surface mount board. I guess they had a good reason for that approach. Looks like one of us hams did a repair and stuck those caps on the back.....

Thanks for sharing the photos and info, Bill.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015