The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HW-100 vs DX-100 Parts Similarities??  (Read 6636 times)
N2YEV
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »

I've got a really dumb question. Especially as I am literally going into it half-cocked Undecided. That being said I am trying to restore my DX-100 and as most who endevor to do this find out, we need parts. Well, here comes the half - cocked...being armed with the manual, schematic, and parts list I find I have the battle half way done. Then I post a couple of requests for parts, or sources of them, and I get a few responses...pretty good so far I say to my self Cheesy
Then I read a couple of replies from the jolly old England side of the pond trying to convince me that the HW-100 series rigs have the same 'interchangable' parts. Well, the obvious cosmetic...ie knobs, dials, etc, are NOT.
Now, I haven't had the opportunity to locate a schematic of any of the HW rigs, but I have my doubts. Just need one of you all here who undoubtedly know to inform me of that which I have a strong gut feeling is not true. I am BTW looking for knobs (the red and gray concentric Load / Tune / VFO / XTAL knobs), and the really funky VFO dial assy needs rebuilding. Mostly, as far as can be told from my slight investigation, the plastic dial itself is damaged on the inside edge that makes contact with the compression wheel. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. This project is secondary to my SX-101A which is presently being restored as well. And, as is the case, needs parts as well and takes up a lot of my time searching for these as well. Just getting reaccustomed to tube electronics again has been a chore. So, that being said can someone put my mind at ease as to the similarities or rather dissimilarities of these two styled rigs, so I can respond properly to the 'persons abroad'.
This brings about another issue of overseas scammers from G.B. as I had a couple try and shaft me in my attempt to find some knobs for my SX-101A.
So, can anyone tell me why the scammers seem to be Brits all of a sudden (or at least with GB addresses through gmail)? Huh

Enough said.

Jim, N2YEV
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »

Right no similarity in the parts... COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RIGS. Maybe the 6146s will swap... Cheesy

Do you have BOTH rigs? Unclear from your post.

Why are scammers in a particular place? Dunno, just keep ur eyes open, and read carefully??
Hamfests are a good place to find boatanchor parts, as are ads in the Wanted section here.

Lots of good advice from posting specific questions here too...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »

If the VF-1 dial is the same as the DX-100 I have one
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:47 PM »

Lots of rigs have similar parts especially when you drill down to the level of tubes, resistors, capacitors, nuts, screws, and maybe even some inductors. The Heath VF-1 VFO has interchangeable parts with the DX-100 VFO. Over the years, I've seen dozens of junker DX-100's being sold at hamfests or auctions. A lot depends at what you need for your DX-100. Knobs from the DX-35 or DX-40 will also match the DX-100. There was an English version of the DX-100B called the DX-100U. Other then for some tubes and exterior cosmetics, all parts were interchangeable.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N2YEV
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »

Bear...no I don't have both, but this OM in England talked as if he did, and yet there was something questionable about his email that made me twitchy.
Good to know about the DX100b & U. I seem to rememb er something about an English version in the brief research I have managed to chase down. Looks like I'll have to dig a bit deeper, especially being they are quite similar.
And, yes I do agree most rigs, when broken down far enough, have quite a few similar / interchangable parts. However things like knobs, dials, bezels, faceplates always seem to change most regularly, and quite often with each successive upgrade (ie. SX-100, SX-100 MKI / SX-101, SX101A, etc.) Whereas the SX-100's remained similar physically; electrically they changed by having added slightly improved audio circuits, among other improvements. The same applied to the 101 series, but the two series' had little to no physical / cosmetic similarities.
Anyway, about the VF-1 I've wondered that myself, as I just saw a couple listed on Ebay recently, and without the benefit of decent close-up pics, they look to have some close similarity to the DX-100 VFO! So, I'm hopeful I may find the dial and drive parts needed to repair / replace mine with a bit more research.
Well, thanks for the quick responses, I'm glad to have such a good source of hands-on AM'ers willing to provide assistance. I reminds me of the meeting years ago before being licensed, and meeting a very wise and experienced  Shocked AM'er named Tim-Tron, and the suggestions he gave me in trying to rebuild my great uncles old WWII vintage 6ft tower xmtr. A lot of what he suggested went into that rig as I could both remember and afford. Boy, I wished I still had thatrig. Anyway, I do remember that AM'ers are a tight bunch, as well as very open to helping someone interested in 'AM'
Thanks for the heads up, and keep um coming if you got them to give...I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning all this stuff.

Thank,

Jim, N2YEV
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:48:06 AM »

If AM'ers are a tight bunch it is because most of them are cheap skinflints!!!
What the heck is a skinflint anyhow??

The other thing that is tight about them is the bands of their hats... too tight and it
cuts off the blood to the brain. You see this effect quite often, just listen on the air??  Grin

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »

Ya know Bear, I'd really be piss off at you ifn that wasn't so friggin' true!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »

If AM'ers are a tight bunch it is because most of them are cheap skinflints!!!
What the heck is a skinflint anyhow??

A "skinflint" was one so cheap that he would shave (skin) a flint to using the smallest possible piece to kindle a fire.

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Fred k2dx

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »

Just a thought about the concentric knobs - didn't some old Tektronics scopes and/or other test equipment use similar gray and red knobs to the DX 100s?
N2YEV
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

Hi Fred,
Yes I have been looking around the net, at Ebay, and Antique radio sites etc, and have noticed several pieces of test equipment that appears to have the same concentric knobs. One being FMO-1 FM Oscillator by Heathkit, and another Heath O'scope Lab model (I forget whichmodel)but it has several pairs of them. That was a question I had posted to one of the Heathkit / A.R. sites BBS, and the best I got was smart-assed responses that I already gave the answers to in my post???
How does it make any sense? Huh
Anyway, I had the same questions for the SX-101A I am refurbish as I've seen a few similarities in a few other Hallicrafters' rigs, which is why I'm looking at all avenues for replacement parts. A.F. and Notch Freq. Knobs as well as L12 coil assy for Notch Freq, etc.  Even looking for these little retaining clips for the outer dial glass. I'm not looking as much for asthetics as it is looking for functionality; although I do try and have things historically correct. I really don't think its a bad thing to have it original, plus any mods to improve audio, voltage regulation, and others that came along years later.
Anyway I'm looking at all possibilities for replacement parts from junker rigs to cross-referenced parts from other rigs. And any help along the way is greatly appreciated.
Thanks already for the help thus far guys, I knew I could count on the AM bunch for the help I needed. I'm hoping to have these rigs on the air at the same time my upgrade is final, sometime in early Aug. Then we can see you all on air. Cool

Jim, N2YEV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015