The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:29:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A RUDE Awakening ! ! !  (Read 23330 times)
KB3RRX
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »

glad your ok !!!! We don't need our bacon extra crispy!!!!

Wayne
KB3RRX
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:45 PM »

Although this isn't the best insurance to guarantee a PS is discharged but putting some sort of indicator on the outpoot is helpful.  The 813 rig here has an HV meter tied right at the HV cap so I can at least use it as reminder to wack it with a discharge tool.  I didn't have that when I got wacked way back when.

And Frank, as I stated before, watch for infection.  When tissue is damaged deep within you're open for infection. Make sure you watch it.  It caught up with me and I had to have my thumb opened up.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2010, 07:30:41 AM »

And Frank, as I stated before, watch for infection.  When tissue is damaged deep within you're open for infection. Make sure you watch it.  It caught up with me and I had to have my thumb opened up.

Bob,
       I guess I just got lucky. The hole is has closed up nicely, and all the signs of imflamation are gone. It is just a hard crusted, caloused scab with no signs of redness anymore. I guess it just cauterized itself when it happened. It is actually healing rather quickly, considering that I am a diabetic. Many thanks for the concern.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »

Hi Frank,
Still watch it though. The wound has the potential to turn on you.   I thought I was healing nicely too but weeks after the thumb started throbbing and then the wound started what looked like a small blister but deep blister with discoloration, painful too.  I lost part of my thumb nail for a short period due to them cutting it open. But other than a small scar where they went into the side the thumb all looks normal now.  I guess it all depends on how the current flowed through the tissue.  Hopefully the current flow was at the surface and affected the surface tissue rather than deep down. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KE6DF

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »

In reading up on what happens with electric shock, the shock results in nectrotic (dead) tissue.

The dead tissue is not necessarily at the surface, but can be deep inside.

So, the external wound can appear to heal, but several days later, the dead tissue starts to rot and causes a deep seated infection.

In extreme cases, people have survived a major electric shock, and then died days later from necrosis of internal organs and tissue.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »

Hi Frank,
Still watch it though. The wound has the potential to turn on you.   I thought I was healing nicely too but weeks after the thumb started throbbing and then the wound started what looked like a small blister but deep blister with discoloration, painful too.  I lost part of my thumb nail for a short period due to them cutting it open. But other than a small scar where they went into the side the thumb all looks normal now.  I guess it all depends on how the current flowed through the tissue.  Hopefully the current flow was at the surface and affected the surface tissue rather than deep down. 

Bob,
        Looking at it today all seems very well. (2 weeks after the fact) It is healed nicely with no discoloration. Just a small scab and a hard calous. So I guess the burn damage was mostly on the surface. As a matter of fact the calous was so hard that I took some sandpaper and sanded it down the other day. There is no discoloration and it even now perfectly matches the rest of the thumb in color.  I think it just blew the bark off of the surface. I dont usually infect easily.

Many thanks for everyone's concearn, but I think this drama is over. All is well that ends well. I just wanted to possibly save someone else from my misfortune. Thanks to all! !

Frank

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015