The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derb in the hospital  (Read 58450 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »

I can always spot a nice old cat.

The youngsters (3 and 4) here have occasionally slipped out, but quickly return to the nice indoor environment. When the cat is too old to climb the 8 FT backyard fence, which seems to be maybe 14-15, its freedom to go out back is returned so that it can have as much enjoyment as possible in the later years.

The one in the pic is an alleycat in Albufiera, Portugal. He was very old and had so much dignity that he barely acknowledged my presence and did not move an inch as I photographed him.

* pogl-albufiera_alley-gato01.jpg (33 KB, 420x365 - viewed 692 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »

Hi guys! Time for an update on Tim......

When I last wrote, he was back in Roanoke Hospital. He was there until a week ago, when they moved him to their rehab facility down the road. He can only stay there until the end of the month, and they are looking at relocating him to yet another home, hopefully in Martinsburg or somewhere very close to here.

. The docs think he suffered another mild stroke somewhere along the line in the last couple of months and as a result his left arm is completely non functioning right now. He still has some feeling in it, though, so the therapists think he may regain some function in it down the road. His "maul paw" still works just fine.  Smiley

He is still bed-ridden, they won`t try to get him on his feet until the cast comes off in September. He has so far lost about 44 lbs, but he was last weighed over a week ago, he`s probably lost more than that by now.

He is still super excited about "Uncle Ray". He still can`t believe it`s actually in the garage waiting for him.

He is pretty bummed he won`t be able to be at Berryville. I know he was looking forward to seeing old friends. Maybe if he`s back
in this neck of the woods by then someone might be able to stop by on the way through and visit with him.  Smiley

I`ll let you all know when he is moved again and the contact info of the new place.

Glo
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »

Awesome news!  Thanks for the update.  Can't wait to till the winter when I imagine he'll be swinging those monkeys.  Grin

AMI#1684
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »

wow that beats talking about cats! I'm glad he's excited about Uncle Ray and there's hope for his arm! He's got to eat better! put some weight back on and get his strength back!!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5WLF
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2010, 02:29:02 AM »

Thanks for the update, Glo. I was sure wondering about him and hated not knowing. Please let him know that we're all pulling for him.

ldb
K5WLF
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »

My best cat story was when I was in Amman Jordan last year for a 1 month stay working. We were walking back to the Intercontinental from a small shop nearby and walking down a back street and saw a feral cat (most cats in the middle east are just around and do not specifically belong to anyone). Jim bent down and petted it and it simply let him. He talked to it and  called it "cool cat". After a few minutes we went into the hotel though the normal tight security and then up to our rooms for a couple of minutes and decided to meet for dinner on the deck over the pool where they had a Lebanese restaurant. Picture well dressed men and women smoking waterpipes with flavored tobacco, a cheesy Egyptian band trying to play American Southern Rock. About 10  minutes in to dinner Jim looks down and there is the cat! He not only found Jim but somehow got up to the second floor of the Hotel. Jim gave it some food and the fancy waiter went nuts trying to chase the cat off the deck! Trouble making Americans...

These are the good old days of AM
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »

WOW!!! Summer, one month to go, and DERB goes through more crap!! I thought Ray being in the garage would bring those radio spirits up. And a stroke is not goodness.
The ankle is a long injury to recover. So whomever has the voodoo doll, please burn it!! And let Tim come home.

Put your hands on the radio and feel the spirit move..............

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Hi guys! Just another update on Tim....

Today he got the go-ahead from the doctor to start putting weight on his injured leg. It has healed very nicely, and now he gets to start walking again!  YEAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

He still has lingering effects from the stroke he had a month ago or so when he was at the nursing home in Charles Town.  But he is coming along and getting some movement back in his left arm and leg and hand as well. He is in a home in Keyser, WV right now, and I am going there tonight to stay over and sit in on a PT session with him tomorrow. I am taking his (our) dog Maxxie as well, Tim really misses him and I know Max misses him too. I`ll get some pics to post when I get back. Hopefully he`ll be back home and posting here himself very soon.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »

Hi, I wonder if Tim has a lap top computer in his room? If he does, he could install Skype and then we could talk to him free Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015