The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Windows Re-direct Monster defeated. ( for now ?)  (Read 13599 times)
Superhet66
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »

I may be a day late and a dollar short with this post. If not this may solve      
  some headaches and or remove mal-ware you aren't aware of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dell was under a spell in the form of an intractable adware/spyware/re-direct virus.

My already marginal Pent4 machine became an unpredictable zombie, slug.

I was in the process of going Linux as suggested by Huzman in a thread addressing this problem when an IT man at work banished the bug from the FD work PC. ( I'm still making the Linux leap once I set up a better machine )

* Use at your own risk * but this has worked for me and at work after weeks of frustration:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Close all aps., Click TDSSkill. zip in the body of text and save to desktop. Restart in safe mode and double click Icon on desktop to initiate . It is self directing from there.

Done  Smiley

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »

I had a similar problem several years ago.  I could not access certain websites.  Instead I would be redirected to some outfit that was offering to pay me for taking on-line surveys.  I did a web search and discovered many other people were having the same issue with this same malicious website. A friend tried help me clean out the junk from my computer, but nothing we did would help (although in  the process I got rid of a lot of other junk).  Finally, I installed Firefox and discovered that I could access the site I wanted with no more redirects.  So I changed my default browser to Firefox and never looked back.

Something else that might help is to install a custom HOSTS file. It is free and they offer an updated version once or twice a month.  It takes me about 45 seconds to update the file, which I do periodically.  For more information, go to:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Superhet66
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »

Hello Don,
Thanks.
I searched the data base here a few days ago and found your earlier posts r/t this topic.
I dumped explorer and installed Firefox based on that and I'm glad I did for a number of reasons (AMfone optimization ),  but the damn redirect bug had morphed and was shadowing the Firefox software also.  Angry
It may be worth using the safe mode sweep on your machine as described anyway to be sure. A growing # of people are picking this new bug up.
I have a zippy computer again ( knock on wood ).

Thanks again.  D.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »

I concur with Don on the MVPS.org host file.  Works like a champ not only for protecting against malware, etc. but also makes websites that are heavily laden with advertising.  Their regularly updated host file blocks a lot of stuff.  And it's a text file that one can update themselves too. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »

One of the best malware removal tools out there is:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

download the free version. I purchased the program but there is no difference between the paid version and the free except for the automatic update. You can update for free manually.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5WLF
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »

A friend of mine, who's a sysadmin for the university I work for, recommends that when one of those malware windows pops up, immediately hit "Alt + F4". In Windoze, that's the "close active window" hot-key combo. If you click in the malware window, even on the "X" that should close it, you're doomed. The whole window is a hotspot that'll take you through to the malware site.

For those, like myself, who are stuck with Windoze for some applications, but would like to use Linux whenever possible, the new distro of Ubuntu, 10.04, has a new install option called WUBI (Windows UBuntu Install). It installs Ubuntu as a directory inside Windows. Just download the ISO, burn a CD and start the install. One of the options will be "Install Inside Windows". Click on it and it's automagically installed. You can delete it from the "Add/Remove Programs" function in Control Panel anytime you like. I'm running it here at the house and also on my work computer, which is joined to the university domain.

Now, I only have to boot into XP for GR Level 3 radar, programming my radios or editing video in Premiere. Otherwise, I'm able to do everything else in Linux. I love it!

ldb
K5WLF
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:14:07 AM »

Wally: I demand you buy me a new computer!
Pointy Haired Boss: Why?
Wally: It's constantly forcing me to view unspeakble amoninations.
Pointy Haired Boss: OK
later..
Dilbert: How are the unspeakble abominations going?
Wally: Much faster now..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »

We had that issue at work on several computers. Our 'contracted' IT department had me download Spybot Search & Destroy with the updated parameters. I ran S&D one time and it got rid the malware. The IT person had me delete the Spybot program  Huh I guess they didn't want to pay the fees for commercial use of the product but it is free to us home users.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

Spybot Search & Destroy

That' another excellent program. You don't need to be a computer geek to use it or Malwarebytes. I have both on my computers along  with the AVG free anti virus program, I rarely have a problem. The nice part about these three programs is, they are FREE and excellent.

WB6NVH

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »

Spybot Search and Destroy in my exerience dramatically slowed down all but the fastest and newest machines with plenty of RAM.  I had to remove it.  That's probably why IT people do the same.

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »

Spybot Search and Destroy in my experience dramatically slowed down all but the fastest and newest machines with plenty of RAM.

Yes, I had the same problem but i think it was some of their earlier software. I now use it on the same machines without a problem.
One thing that will really slow down your computer is the TeaTimer  feature. It's a system on Spybot that continually monitors your computer . I turn it off at the Start Up Options area of the computer. End of problem.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »

Terry said:
Yes, I had the same problem but i think it was some of their earlier software. I now use it on the same machines without a problem.
One thing that will really slow down your computer is the TeaTimer  feature. It's a system on Spybot that continually monitors your computer . I turn it off at the Start Up Options area of the computer. End of problem.

Same here. The other thing, which bothers me is that it gets rid of issues that Norton doesn't see.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »

Mike said:
Same here. The other thing, which bothers me is that it gets rid of issues that Norton doesn't see.

I notice that right along Mike. I don't think any anti virus program finds everything especially malware. There too busy looking for viruses.

By the way, I posted above that I turned off the Teatimer. I noticed on the computer that I'm using now that I didn't install S&D. This is a faster machine so I downloaded the program and installed the Teatimer. I see no ill effects so far as in slowing my computer down. Teatimer works within your browser, and other programs.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »

Spybot Search and Destroy in my exerience dramatically slowed down all but the fastest and newest machines with plenty of RAM.  I had to remove it.  That's probably why IT people do the same.

I have it in my desktop computer.  Mine doesn't run in the background.  I have to open the program and manually click to scan.  I also have another one, called Ad-Aware.  It works the same way. I usually run them about once a month.  Before installing the HOSTS file they would typically find a couple of dozen items, mostly tracking cookies but occasionally registry entries.  Since installing HOSTS, they now typically find one or two tracking cookies.

I use the free version of Avast! anti-virus, and the free version of Zone Alarm firewall. They do slow things down a bit, since they automatically scan incoming downloads.

I prefer to use individual security protection programs rather than one of the suites like Norton or McAfee. I had McAfee A-V but it got to be a PITA to maintain, and used up gobs of memory resources.  I let it expire, uninstalled the program and went to Avast!.  When I first installed the latter, I ran a scan and it found several "problems" that McAfee had let slip through.

One problem with those "suites" is that they tend to be full of bloatware that slows down the computer and uses up memory.

Another freebie I would recommend is CCleaner, "Crap Cleaner". For info go to http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Last time I ran it, I had it scan the registry.  It found registry entries related to software I had uninstalled years ago (McAfee, for example).  When you run a scan, it displays what it found, and you can review each item and uncheck anything you are not sure of before hitting the delete button.  When running the registry scan, it first backs up every entry before removing it, so you can restore it in case it creates any problems.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »

Most of those malware removal programs such as “Ad-Aware” are malware programs themselves. You think your installing something that will clean everything up, which they do, but then the program itself is doing exactly the same thing you were trying to remove in the first place.

Bottom line: Most of the malware removal programs are a scam. If you have one like Ad-Aware installed you should remove it.

How would I know if I have a program like Ad-Aware? The only problem I have with Ad-Aware is a conflict with Spybot. I agree, some malware programs are malware but not the ones I mentioned and I don't believe Ad-Aware is malware. I guess when it comes to computers we all have our likes & dislikes proven by our individual experiences with our computers over time. I guess it it works, keep it and if it doesn't, time for it to hit the road Grin Grin 

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »

Corporate Edition
  Can the definitions be updated?

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

McAfee was good years ago, but it’s now complete garbage.

And amazingly went to garbage as soon as Net Sol purchased them.

I remember buying a corp subscription to McAfee, their network monitoring solution, and a bunch of other crap.  Spent about 80-100K, IIRC.

Turned out we had to turn AV off for one of the OLD a.s.s. DOS based programs.  It would trigger a AV alert and panic every time if AV was running.

Was the LAST time I recommended or used them. 

ESET NOD32 is about the best for WinTel platforms out there.  They consistently place high or top honors, and they don't have any noticeable slowdown on a machine.  I have it installed on my 1.6ghz laptop, and I notice no difference between on and off.

Their licensing is archaic, but so is most of the payware out there.  As with Nortons Virus (yes, intentionally left out Anti, because if your an IT geek, you won't run Norton!), there are torrents.  Unfortunately for the pirates, it takes a login and password to get new def's, so the torrents usually only work for a month I've been told.

Opinions (and AntiVirii) are like a-holes.  We all have one, and they all stink. 

--Shane
Superhet66
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »

McAfee behaves a lot like a virus it self once installed.

ie: installing a full width tool bar and offering a link to Facebook for discussions about......McCafe. To name a few examples

About the only thing McAfee was good for in this instance was refunding my $39 bucks.

So far so good CPU wise over here.

D.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »

Malwarebytes saved my ass.  My work Laptop that was lacking a current backup, Got infected badly.  I downloaded malwarebytes, booted in safe mode, Ran a scan and it found and killed all the malware.  Rebooted, Took a backup and then had a chance to breath again Smiley

I now use AVG on both machines and I have Super antispy ware running.  So far so good with this setup.  At least now I take backups to an 8GB USB key and toss it in the safe Smiley

C
ka3zlr
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »

I'm not experiencing any Problems with McAfee on this machine Still windows XP
my new Laptop it has it's own firewall system running an I let it be for now it came from Dell that way I leave it alone.

Jack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015