The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boatanchor SSB on 160  (Read 52018 times)
sndtubes
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »

I'm looking for opinions here.  I have pretty much everything covered for CW/AM/SSB on all of the bands EXCEPT for 160.  Collins, in their infinite wisdom, chose to put 160 on their receivers but not on their transmitters.  I can understand why as 160 operation was severely limited back then, yet Johnson put 160 on their transmitters.  Not that I would use 160 on SSB all that much, I'd like the capability.  I have a good RX for 160, a 75A4.  The problem is the TX.  Here are the choices as I see them. 

1) I have a Hammarlund HX50 which is capable of 160 meter operation but needs to have the 160 kit.  I'll never find the add on kit, so I'd have to cobble it together.  Problem is that I don't know what the coil values I need are.  I'm not sure this is worth the effort.

2) Get a CE 100 V / 200 V and add the 160 mod kit available from Nick Tusa.  This was the option I was going to take, but I'm wondering about option 3?

3) Use an SSB adapter with my Viking II or get a Valiant to use the 160 adapter with.    This is my real question.  Is this a good option?  Do the Johnson, Heath or B&W adapters that are out the work well?  I would imagine they problably work ok but are a pain to implement.  Is anyone out there using one successfully?  Also, are the VFO's in the old stuff stable enough to even use on SSB?  I love my Viking II and the VFO seems very stable on the lower bands, so is this a a decent option?  Any and all ideas/opinions are welcomed (Including, "you're an idiot, why do you want to fool with 160M ssb?" !

73, Mike WB0SND
Superhet66
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:34:37 AM »

Mike,
I'm in the same boat with a Hammarlund HX 50. If you could, PM me at some point if you have any luck coil wise and I will do the same if I find any thing.
It was agreed here a while ago that the HX 50 would benefit from some mods but I would like to load it up and see what it sounds like to the group for comparison. I'd be curious also what any of the Flex users see out of it on thier end.
                                                  Good luck.
                                                              73 DJ
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:10 AM »

You may want to ask these guys....a group devoted to boatanchor SSB:

http://www.vintagessb.net/
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »

Hmmm interesting....

Nope yer not an idiot, an yup it's Fun to fool wiff 160. Grin

Butt ya know if'n it waz me, looking for a boatus anchorus for 160 Me-a-Taas  Smiley
Single Sideband Phone... I think I would find me an old Swan 160 an really strut
my stuff in true Wrinkle Black SSB Transceiver Style for the times.

http://www.pcs.mb.ca/~standard/160X.htm

Have a good day.. Smiley

Jack.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »

Jack,

Running vintage SSB these days on any band is best done amongst friends. Otherwise if you break into a group that don't know you, and then maybe you drift 150 hz, your likely to hear, "hey OM, your drifting out of the band"! There is no allowance these days for drift amongst the appliance crowd, and a 'RIT' knob just isn't used.

I run my Central Electronics 20A into a Dentron MLA2500 for SSB (AM too). The 20a is modified for ~ 65w PEP output which drives the MLA perfectly to make a lot of noise. There is a group of locals near Austin, Texas that I chat with on 1960 LSB, ground wave.

Jim
WD5JKO
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »

It doesnt take much effort to build a transmitting converter for 160, they were even in the HB's, or you can buy any of the Drake T-4 series.

Carl
KM1H
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »

Just do what alot of the vintage SSbers do.  Run a solid state Yaecomwood radio and claim your on your vintage rig!  I know about 3 or 4 of those guys that do that. Sometimes they get caught on the air if they slip up and mention a the band scope or Auto notch, Some feature that the old rig does not have. One of the guys even kicks his yaecomwood over slightly to simulate Drift.. LOL

Dont you have a 101?  They work great on 160.  Full power out and nice and stable.  If your under 60 years old. You probably wont enjoy 160 to much.  I have met some really cool and insteresting guys down there.. But it took a while before they excepted me.  Its a 60 to 100 year old demographic and alot of them are real rude if you dont have an extra and know code. AM groups might be more excepting.

C
K5WLF
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »

160 SSB can be good. I've been having some fun down there on ricebox SSB (still working on getting a BA setup). I'm on a postage stamp lot and built a coil-loaded dipole (97' LOA) for 160. AM on the FT-897D is only 25W, so that's pretty PW. However, right after I heard a guy say "What kind of fool gets on 160 without an amp?", I had a very nice 23 minute QSO with K0DT (Jim) in Colfax, IA on LSB at 100W. He had me at 59 for the duration. He was 20 over here in TX, but was running an FT-1000MP into an AL-1200.

I think TRP is generally right about the main demographic on 160. I'm 59 (for another few days), so I can fit in pretty well. There's a nice bunch of folks there, I've found. Don't know how much I'll play there in SSB when I finally get the BA stuff on-air in AM mode, but I like the band, so SSB is better to me than not being there at all.

ldb
K5WLF
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »

I second Jim's (WD5JKO) caution on using vintage SSB with a "regular" net or group.  Otherwise at least one member will be less than pleased with drifting and perhaps less than perfect carrier and sideband suppression.  I show up frequently for the vintage SSB net using various rigs and you will stay busy tuning your receiver during a net session.  It is a lot of fun running vintage SSB with a group of like minded individuals but otherwise your vintage rig may be about as welcome as a Ford Excursion at a green party political rally. 

As Carl said the Drake 4 line (any iteration) will run 160 with the accessory range crystals and it is plenty stable to run with the modern rigs.  The Yaesu FR/FL-101 twins make a good semi-vintage pair and is also very stable.  The earlier Yaesu FRDX/FLDX-400 are like the Kenwood 599 series, the receiver covers 160 but not the transmitter.  You could also use the Central Electronics 10 or 20 with a stable external VFO but they will still require some touch up of the carrier balance as they warm up to keep the modern technology folks happy.  Although the Valiant covers 160 the matching SSB adapter does not and the Valiant VFO is woefully drifty for SSB usage.  A Dentron 160 meter transverter is another possibility if you can find one or roll your own.

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »

Jim.  I cant seem to get my Central 20 working. If you are up for having a look at this thing, I would be greatfull. I want to use it as an exciter to run the Globe king 500 on SSB.  I have an SSB adapter for the Reciever now.

I have two sets of Yaesu twins. I have never used them. Both sets have no cable that runs between the two units. If you guys run across that cable, I would be more then happy to cover all costs. 

C
WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »

Clark,

The interconnect cable is simple to build.  For the VFO control, it is a 9 pin "octal style" plug for the FL-101 and a 5 pin DIN (available from Mouser) for the receiver.  Mute and anti-vox audio are through the 11 pin "octal style" accessory plug which is usually found with the FL-101.  You need shielded, small diameter coax for the VFO signal leads.

I believe the wiring info is in the manuals, if not I probably have a copy somewhere since I had to build cables for both sets of my 101 twins.

I have two sets of Yaesu twins. I have never used them. Both sets have no cable that runs between the two units. If you guys run across that cable, I would be more then happy to cover all costs. 

C

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »

Ok. If it comes down to it, I will try to build them. I would really rather not. I have no time and way to many other things going on. I keep missing the original cable on ebay. 

THanks alot!

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 02:41:38 PM »

A Dentron 160 meter transverter is another possibility if you can find one or roll your own.

I have one of these that I've used with Kenwood 599D Twins. Works Great. There's also vintage SSB nets on 20 and 40 meters besides 75 meters, and specific Hallicrafters, Collins. Swan, Heathkit, Drake, and probably several others that operate on these bands regularly. Vintage SSB is probably as "popular", as AM, if not more so, on the bands. Sunday afternoon on 20 meters is a great time for vintage SSB operating.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w4fms

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 02:45:12 PM »

Mike...I use a CE200V with the 160m mod.  Works great and as you know the vfo is very stable after warm up.  I'd go with option 2.

Frank, W4FMS
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »

I can remember when AM had all but disappeared from the HF bands, but 160 was still full of AM because most of the SSB appliances covered "all-bands, 80-10m". What little slopbucket you heard on the band was with modified or homebrew rigs or one of the very rare factory made jobs that covered the band.

When the appliance manufacturers began including 160m sometime in the mid to late 70's, more SSB was heard on the band, and a lot of the muck on 75 began to appear on 160.

I'll never forget the time a bunch of slopbucketeers were P & M'ing about Tom, W4UOC in Atlanta and myself operating AM on 1885 because they had assumed ownership of 1888 and insisted on operating there even when the nearby frequency had been in use for hours and there were tens of vacant kc/s on either side of the frequency.  Tom was running a DX-100 and I was running a kw with my HF-300 rig.

"The guy in Atlanta is running regular AM, but that guy up in TN is running AM and sideband at the same time. I don't know how he does it, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal."

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »

LOL!!   AM with one sideband also.  Funny story.

I met alot of nice guys on 160.. but its not for everyone. 

There is a group that runs AM that I catch sometimes on 160. They all have 10 minute Egg timers in the shack. They key up, Set the timer and talk until it dings. Then talk for 2 more minutes finishing up.. Then they pass it along.. So each guy keys up for 10 to 12 minutes at a time.  It could be 30 to 40 minutes before you get a chance to talk.  Some enjoy that kind of thing but I lose interest to fast.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »

Heck, if you want decent 160 meter SSB operation, find a Kenwood TS-520S, 530S, 820S, or 830S. Tube driver and finals, great workhouse, will load almost anything you throw at it. I've had a CE 100V for years and would never consider the time or money involved to add 160 operation. Too many other rigs out there to do the job, or just build a simple 160 transverter like the Dentron 160XV.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:56 PM »

There is a group that runs AM that I catch sometimes on 160. They all have 10 minute Egg timers in the shack. They key up, Set the timer and talk until it dings. Then talk for 2 more minutes finishing up.. Then they pass it along.. So each guy keys up for 10 to 12 minutes at a time.  It could be 30 to 40 minutes before you get a chance to talk.  Some enjoy that kind of thing but I lose interest to fast.

Sounds like the perfect therapy for people for have difficulty falling asleep. A small bed side receiver turned to 160.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »

I have a fixed up skyrider JR at the bedside table. I have fallen asleep many times listening to that thing.  Some Meth heads stole all my wire. I need to string up another long wire!

C
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 07:37:24 PM »

I have a fixed up skyrider JR at the bedside table. I have fallen asleep many times listening to that thing.  Some Meth heads stole all my wire. I need to string up another long wire!

C

You have that happen quite a lot.

I'd say, might be time to throw the wire antennas on the B+ transformer when you leave town to tune...  Put a knife switch on the ladder line coils to take them out, and have at it.

Smiley

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

Naw.. Just the one time.. All the wire and antennas where gone when I came back

C
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »

I like Top Band as much as the next guy but I got better things to go
to bed with... Grin I do not take radio to bed..Lol.....

Jack.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:29:57 AM »

I've never understood the whole vintage SSB thing (I mean, if you are going to run vintage gear what's wrong with AM) but in my opinion 160 m. was made for AM.  For one thing, it's practically a part of the standard broadcast band so putting any broadcast rig on 160 is a relatively easy process.  A lot of the antenna studies and practices of the broadcast industry can be applied to 160 m.  I'm 52 and I work plenty of hams my age or younger--I don't think of it as an OT band at all.  (This may vary from region to region.)  Collins made transmitters that work on 160--you just have to have a hell of a lot of money to get one:  KW1, 30K1 and avoid getting a stock 75A1.  It's probably easier getting on 160 with an AM rig than it is with a vintage SSB rig.   The keys to success there are running at least 200 w., having a decent tx antenna and a separate low noise rx antenna.  One of the problems on that band is guys who can't be made to believe that a dipole at under 100 feet is not going to work all that well except within a few hundred miles, and even then there will be ground loss.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Superhet66
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »

One of the problems on that band is guys who can't be made to believe that a dipole at under 100 feet is not going to work all that well except within a few hundred miles, and even then there will be ground loss.

WHAT!? Have you not spanned the globe with the:

Grin    Isotron 160m Stealth Ham Antenna, Featuring Dipole Performance  Grin

"With the equivalent "capture" area in metal and a lower receive noise level, Isotrons often work as well as a full-size dipole!

Solve Virtually Any Restricted Space Problem
      Easy, Quick, and Simple Installation
      Tunes and Performs Without Radials or Antenna Tuners
      Handles Up to 1000 Watts PEP
      Durable Construction, Can be Used in Extreme Weather Conditions
      Excellent For Portable Operation - Emergencies, RV's, Field Day, Motels, Etc.
      Multi-Band Operation on One Feedline with Back-to-Back Mounting. NO Loss of Performance.
      Can be mounted in ANY Position Without Loss of Performance
      Maritime Operation - Uncluttered Setup, with Stainless-Steel Fasteners. Not Dependent Upon Grounding for Performance
      SO-239 Connector on All Models
      One Year Warranty on Material and Workmanship

How Do The Isotrons Work So Well?

This is a very common question from those that have not seen the ISOTRONS in action.  Even those that have, ask it with amazement.

Well, it's not magic.  The ISOTRONS have been developed around specific electrical laws and laws of physics.  At times, the eye can be deceived so that something may look like it is against known laws or what we know as practical. The ISOTRONS were developed around known laws to accomplish an efficient performing antenna in a very convenient package.

For an antenna to work, it should be electrically resonant.  The ISOTRONS are electrically resonant by using only two components - the large coil in series with the capacitive plates of the antennas.  (Match comes automatically with the right combination of the two components at resonance).

There is more that is necessary for an efficient antenna.  An antenna needs a certain amount of area to couple radiation to the atmosphere.  Some call this the "Capture Area".  However, this is an "AREA".  This "area" can be any shape or form.  The laws of physics for this phenomenon do not specify its appearance.  THE ISOTRONS HAVE THIS RADIATION "AREA".  The ISOTRONS exceed or equal (depending upon the model) the area of a conventional one-half wavelength dipole (#12 wire).  In simple terms, we designed the ISOTRONS into a three dimensional package.

THE PERFORMANCE - It speaks for itself.

Tests have measured the ISOTRONS to transmit as well as a one-half wavelength dipole.  The shape of the ISOTRONS give them an excellent advantage for the reduction of noise.  The ISOTRONS have been tested at 3db less noise on reception with an equivalent incoming signal as the one-half wavelength dipole.  Simply stated, while there may be slighly less received signal vs. a dipole, more signals are heard by the ISOTRONS through the reduction in noise!

In the six antenna Reviews, one characteristic was definitely distinctive of the ISOTRONS:  THE PERFORMANCE.

160 Meter Antenna
Specifications

Size (H x W x D)

9.5' x 16" x 15"

Bandwidth

100 Khz.*

Impedance

50 - 75 ohms

Freq. Range

1.8 - 2.0 Mhz.

Power Input

1000 watts PEP**

Wind Load (sq. feet)

Wind Rating

Pattern

Omni

Weight

7 lbs.

MSRP:  $173.95

*     Bandwidth is within 2:1 SWR.  May vary with environment.
**   300 watt, CW (AM, FM, RTTY, etc.)

* 160_isotronb.jpg (45.89 KB, 227x835 - viewed 740 times.)
ka3zlr
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »

Good Monday Morning.. Smiley

I Have given that Trap a good look over in theory Yes it will work.. Smiley
relegated to more or less QRP operations but prolly be a good local
rag chewers system. I have a very good friend and Talented Amateur
who uses one I think on 80 for a local net here in the tri-state area with
no operational complaints..his name is Bob Ketzell his call is KB3IN I had
helped Bob relocate to his new home and went up an took the antenna
down an waz really interested in what I had in my Hands..Really different.

Figure I could build one with no real remorse, butt, I don't know I'm a wire man.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015