The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:28:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade now......"dont say nothin, juss do it!"  (Read 35988 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »

Good stories.  Yep, Bill, your buddy was right - it's just a big Ranger... funny stuff.

On the downside - after a while, I would occasionally overhear a tech getting axed by the mgr, "what's the problem - can you fix it or not?"  I sometimes heard, " give it to Tom."    Roll Eyes   One day that was my Waterloo. The Motorola Pulsar radiotelephone just came out. It was a disco duck circuit board filled with early LSI chips and digital readout stuff. I studied the filmstrip training and read the manuals first.  This unit was a reject nobody wanted to even attempt after one guy gave up. Within the first 10 minutes I got into it I shorted out the freq readout - blank. After another few minutes the unit wouldn't even light up - dead!  I was mortified. It had to be sent back to the factory. Boy was that humbling.

I saw the handwriting on the wall and left that occupation a few months later for a sales job. Never regretted moving on. As we all know, the digital age sure changed a lot of things and many 2-way shops eventually closed down as time went on.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »

I'm not holding my breath for a new special license where the written test will be detailed and the privilege is a KW of carrier on DSB AM. Wouldn't it be interesting if those already having an extra could apply and test for a mode-specific license that would grant special privileges specific to the mode tested for?

How about a special driving permit that would allow one to tool along @ 85 mph on the interstate?  Wink

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »

You already have that license Don. Just don't get caught!   Grin
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015