The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade now......"dont say nothin, juss do it!"  (Read 35990 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »

I would still have my old Amateur Extra wall certificate that the FeeCee issued to me in 1963

Okay here you go:

* license.JPG (151.15 KB, 640x480 - viewed 417 times.)

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:29:43 PM »

i'll keep my advanced, unless i can get just teh call i want
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »

Guys! Guys! Its OK. There's no need to argue over this at all. If ya cant do it, ya cant do it.  Lips sealed

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA1ZGC
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »

The comment I made was meant as a light-hearted effort at dry humor - now you're trying to make it into a federal case. It was not intended to be offensive.  I take your comments as a personal attack. Screw you, OM.

Houston, wait.

There was no attack, and I have gone out of my way not to make this personal. The issue I raised was one of perception, not of intent.

I plainly stated that I suspect no ill intent from anyone, because I know better than that. The point I was making was of the viewpoint perceived, not the viewpoint intended (I thought I drew a pretty fine distinction about that), and you were not the only other person involved in this thread.

Clearly we need to discuss this, and we will. If you're going to be mad at me, I at least want you to be mad at me for the right reason.

I will post no further to this thread. Life's too short for this.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 06:54:36 AM »

i'll keep my advanced, unless i can get just teh call i want

Derb, what's wrong with N3DRB?  you the DERB man, unless you want K3DRB  Cheesy

There's one call if it were available I might go for if I lived in 3 land.  Unfortunately it is taken:  WB3Z.  I just like the way it rolls off the tongue.    Sort of like WBZ but with a 3 in there.  Whoever has that call should operate AM.  Probably some guy who operates RTTY  Tongue

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »

Damn Thom, take a pill!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »

I will post no further to this thread. Life's too short for this.

Deja vu. You posted this before and returned. I don't believe it.  Roll Eyes
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »

We're just reacting to your attitude perceived, not the attitude intended.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

Boy............... some people (hint hint) really carry a chip on their shoulders!! Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

the original purpose of this thread was not to slap anyone around, but to encouage more people to upgrade and have some fun in the less crouded parts of the band.

Wouldnt it be fun to get on with a low powered piss weaker transmiter (antique or HB) and have a QSO without getting trampled by territory claiming slopbuckets??
My point is that it is now easy to do, so why not do it?

If you have to walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you obviously have an insecurity problem and need to re-evaluate life. (or you are incapable of pushing your comfort zone a little bit)

Instead of making excuses why not to, do it and be done with it. You wont ever regret it! Since you cant get an advanced lisence anymore, the next step up from general is NOW extra. It's well worth taking a simple written test for. (Just think, no more "cheat sheet" to remind you where you can and cant operate!) If you hear em, you can work em!!

I guess some people just like to cut their noses off to spite their faces. Then they have something to piss and moan about Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

I guess some people just like to cut their noses off to spite their faces. Then they have something to piss and moan about Roll Eyes

Nothing new.  I recall exactly the same thing in the late 60's and early 70's when a lot of Generals were rightfully pissed off that Incentive Licensing took away existing privileges some had previously enjoyed since the early 50's.  So a few of them declared, come hell or high water, that they would never upgrade, no matter what, and willingly chose to remain restricted to the General class ghetto as it was at that time, usually extremely congested, filled with slopbucket signals several layers deep.

masochist  dictionary results

1. Gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.

2. The act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself.

3. The tendency to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

we can all discuss this now no problem, but I suggest we also bring it up again in the fall when low band condx start improving.  between the storms and crummy daytime propagation I for one have about decided to blow off the low bands and try 10 meter AM or CW on 10 through 20.  condx may stink up there too but at least the storm QRN isn't bad.  (I also want to get some use out of my small dipole I have up at 40 feet.)

W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »

Boy............... some people (hint hint) really carry a chip on their shoulders!!

No surprise here!!!

What I have learned over the last 10 years of running this site is most of our nay sayers, whiners, bullies, complainers, flamers, know it all's, Glens Falls bastards and friends really offered nothing to our hobby in the first place and are really not worth the air they breathe. Most of these types are lazy and feel the world and our hobby owes them something.

I guess some people just like to cut their noses off to spite their faces. Then they have something to piss and moan about

I remember when the band plan changed and all these people were going to upgrade to get out of the ghetto - - - they are still there today, complaining and upset because of the conditions up there but - - they have not gotten off there asses to do something about it - - - and as Thom said it's his hobby and he wants to be in the rut and I say leave him there!!

A sad realization here on AMfone is some of our most active and out spoken, high maintenance members have not contributed a thing towards this site or our hobby except complaints, and ridicule  about how bad this free site is for them - - but they won't go away.

If you can't help yourself then your certainly have nothing to offer me.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

we can all discuss this now no problem, but I suggest we also bring it up again in the fall when low band condx start improving.  between the storms and crummy daytime propagation I for one have about decided to blow off the low bands and try 10 meter AM or CW on 10 through 20.  condx may stink up there too but at least the storm QRN isn't bad.  (I also want to get some use out of my small dipole I have up at 40 feet.)

10 and 6 meters have been open to somewhere almost every day. Right now activity in U. S., South America, and Europe on 10 and same for 6 meters. Looks like several west coast stations made it into Europe on 6 meters today. Even I have moved most my HF activity up to 40 meters. The typical cesspool activity and on 80 meters never seems to end regardless what time of the year it is and regardless of where in the band you are and the poor conditions don't help either.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

thanks pete; looks like 10 is open now.  i'll have to find out if it is good enough for a ladder line fed dipole.

ka3zlr
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »

I heard 4's an 1's today on 10.. Smiley

Jack

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

If any of youze CT guys want to stop in, myself and a couple buds get on 29.100 usually around 9-10pm most nights and throw the sh!t for a couple hours. 

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »

thanks pete; looks like 10 is open now.  i'll have to find out if it is good enough for a ladder line fed dipole.

At 8:41 PM EDT, 10 meters looks fairly quiet across the country.
6 meters is open with Sporadic E with cloud center somewhere over TN with signals as far West to TX, East to MD, North to IL, and South to FL.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »

At 8:41 PM EDT, 10 meters looks fairly quiet across the country.
6 meters is open with Sporadic E with cloud center somewhere over TN with signals as far West to TX, East to MD, North to IL, and South to FL.

Right.  By the time I got on there, I heard a few very weak carriers and one SSB station and that was it.   Actually on 20 meters I heard a TI2 calling CQ with a lot of chirp and I felt like it was the early 1970s when I was starting out all over again.   Cheesy 

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

I know how I can make alot of money.  Bet extra class hams that they cannot walk in cold and pass the current exams for $1000.  I might loose a few times.. But the majority would be in my favor!

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 07:30:58 PM »

Yep, you're right, Clark. I wouldn't bet against you...  Grin

I took an on-line sample Extra test cold a couple years ago and scored maybe 60%. Would have flunked. The "newer" questions about satellites, packet, repeater protocols, new band segments, etc were impossible to know unless one studied. The written Extra test I took in 1972 was as hard as the First Class RT test. But who cares? Times change.

BTW, I got a nice PM yesterday from an active newcomer on this BB. Said he decided to go for his Extra as a result of our discussion. Hopefully he'll announce his success when he passes soon.  That's what we like to hear!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »

I need to find the time to study for mine. I failed the online test.  I have been so damn busy this part of the year.  But at least its a goal.. I reall want to go down to 7160

C
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

I know how I can make alot of money.  Bet extra class hams that they cannot walk in cold and pass the current exams for $1000.  I might loose a few times.. But the majority would be in my favor!

Sounds like what got us in the financial mess.  The bankers made risky loans and insured them (bet that they would fail). When they did fail, as expected, they collected the insurance payments and left the taxpayers (who bailed out the banks) holding the bag.                                                     

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »

... and if you'd like to prepare for the test without memorizing or guessing at hundreds of questions you can do it the old fashioned way and study ...

http://www.arrl.org/shop/The-ARRL-Extra-Class-License-Manual

you may even <gasp> learn something along the way...   Wink

--- Post No Bills ---
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

Just took the online practice test on QRZ.  92%, 10 minutes.   One question fatfingered, another I didn't read all the answers...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »

Good job.. Now if you would have done a screen print. We would have believed you Smiley

C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015