The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-388 / 51-J BFO can or coil?? ...or product detector mod??  (Read 12291 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: May 04, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »

Wondering if anyone else has come up against a split slug in the BFO can on the R-388/51-J??

In my rig the BFO output has been low since I got it, and the last time I looked at it the top slug
is stuck, likely cracked and seized. I wanted to peak it up to get more output so I could hear SSB
without turing the aRefF gain down quite so much... I was considering chucking it entirely and
doing the product detector mod, but I am worried that it won't do as good a job as the present
detector does on AM - I have no problem with the "super modulation" guys at all! Sounds sweet.

...comments on the product detector mod??

Any really good ideas, or better still anyone who HAS ONE (either the whole can or the guts) available??
...input would be appreciated.

(anyone with an extra J-4 style Xtal filter "IF can" let me know too...!) Cheesy

The other issue is that I really don't want to get the thing OUT and then not have a back up
position... although likely that won't happen... anyone see that Murphy guy hanging about?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »

"The product detector mod" - which one?

A really easy mod uses the existing BFO and using 1/2 the 12AU7 used as the IF output cathode follower.  You need to drop the front panel to use the AM/CW switch to switch the audio from the product detector to the envelope detector.  A couple parts, a few wires, and yer done.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WBear2GCR

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »

the one with the 7360 I was thinkin' about... a few more wires... and solder...

_-_-bear

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »

Not necessary.  Use what's already in the rig.  Works Extra Fine Business OM.  No extra holes and prolly takes an hour, if the knobs come off the front panel easily.

Check any old ARRl handbook for a triode product detector, and just re-wire that cathode follower.  Feed the Beef-Oh into it thru a coupling cap, take the audio off the plate.  can't remember if I fed the Beef-oh into the grid or the cathode, and the IF signal into the grid or vice-versa.  Easy to finger out...

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WBear2GCR

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »

Ok, well then I am back to the defective BFO coil slug problem...

_-_-bear

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »

The product detector mod isn't going to do you any good for AM, unless you go all out and add a PLL circuit to lock the BFO in phase onto the AM carrier.

Also, a product detector won't help a bad slug in the BFO.  If you can't find a replacement, try disassembling the coil assembly and glueing the slug back together.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:03 PM »

Don, when not in SSB mode, afaik the product detector is switched into simple AM detector mode...

_-_-

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:21:30 PM »

"The product detector mod" - which one?

A really easy mod uses the existing BFO and using 1/2 the 12AU7 used as the IF output cathode follower.  You need to drop the front panel to use the AM/CW switch to switch the audio from the product detector to the envelope detector.  A couple parts, a few wires, and yer done.

When I got my R-388, previous owner used Orr's article in Ham Radio Mag. to add a product detector. Changed the 6BA6 BFO tube to a 6BE6, moved some wires around, added a component or two. Unfortunately, when I got it, the change wasn't working because he accidentally bridged two pins with a sliver of solder shorting them together. Remove the bridge and now it works great on SSB.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WZ1M

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »

BEAR: What is the collins number on the schematic, I mite have the coil.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
WBear2GCR

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »

Gary,

I will have to look - not at the QTH right now...

you want the number off the CAN or the number off the schematic on the top cover??

_-_-

Pete, how does it sound on AM - have you compared it to the standard R-388 AM sound??

WZ1M

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »

BEAR: How about both numbers. Email me direct.
xfrmrs@roadrunner.com.
Regards,
Gary
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »

I also did the 6BA6 to 6BE6 mod on my 51J-3 some years ago and it works great.

This basically shows it: http://www.boatanchors.org/R388sn2256pix/R388ProdDet2.JPG

These are the good old days of AM
WBear2GCR

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »

Yeah, I have the original article on that one... Dallas Langford... I think in CQ Mag, not sure...

Howz it sound on Yay Emm compared to the original detector??

_-_-bear

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »

You use the orignal detector on AM.

I'm not a fan of self-excited 6BE6 product detectors.  You need to carefully balance the IF input with the LO level so as to avoid distortion.  Also strong signals tend to pull the oscillator frequency. 

Using the existing triode in the IF output is much easier and gives a much better result.  If you insist on doing the self-excited product detector, use a 6BY6 instead of a 6BE6 - it's a little better.

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »

Hard to beat a good old triode product detector! The lowly HW-16 has an excellent 12AX7 product detector albeit only for CW!

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015