The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MRI Results = NG  (Read 26505 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 08:49:49 AM »

what makes greek yogurt greek? will any yogurt work? it sounds really good instead of mayo.

Greek (and European) yogurt is much more tart than the American variety that's common in our stores. I think it's a matter of the culture. We buy the Straus brand made in California. But *some* European brand should be available in the east USA metro stores. Do a Google on European yogurt, lots of raves posted. My Irish-German-almost West Virginia XYL buys it in preference to the Dannon, etc. stuff.

JN, you're making me hungry. Slather the sauce on some Souvlaki, fresh bread, maybe some cheese and you got yer basic food groups.

I dunno...I've heard my whole life that garlic is good for you.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »

I make my own yoghurt. I have a 1-quart incubator made by Salton that cost about $20.  I threw away the crappy plastic container that comes with the unit, and instead re-use old Danon quart containers. We have many of them on hand, since they also make good leftover containers. I use Danon non-fat (that's the only kind I  can find that size that doesn't have sugar and fruit in it) plain yoghurt that comes in the little single-serving container for about 50¢ for starter. The end product is far superior to the starter. A little container of starter lasts about a month.

I picked up some Greek yoghurt in a store in Chattanooga.  It was bland tasting and had the consistency of cream cheese.  I tried using it as starter, and the outcome wasn't as good as the cheap Danon stuff, but it had a more normal consistency than the original Greek stuff.

Ironically, the first time in my life I ever tried yoghurt was decades ago in Greece, in an Athens restaurant.  I recall it tasted pretty much the same as plain yoghurt made here.  Definitely not that cream-cheese like stuff.

For those who might be interested in making their own yoghurt, the prescribed procedure of having to heat the milk to a boil and letting it cool down to 100° F is total BS.  I just fill the container with milk right out of the fridge and run it in the microwave oven for 3 minutes.  That heats it to the approximate incubation temperature.  I dump in a teaspoon of starter, stir it, and place it in the machine.  I usually let it run about 16 hours and then put it in the fridge.  I have made many hundreds of batches that way, and recall only one failure, evidently from milk that was  too old.

In fact, I don't like it when it is made from boiled milk.  The heat makes it full of yukky little pieces of solid.  I have had best results using 1% fat, "organic ultra-pasteurised" milk from the local supermarket, and always pick out the carton with the latest expiration date.  Including the 3-minute warm-up in the micro, I probably spend less than 5 minutes preparing a batch.  I don't even think I would have to pre-warm it, but simply mix in the starter with cold milk and put it right in the yoghurt maker, but it would undoubtedly take a couple hours longer to ferment, because it would take some time for the cold milk to come to temperature in the maker.

The end product of my home made is far superior to the stuff you buy ready made at the supermarket, and costs about 1/4 as much.

BTW, if you like it tart, just run it in the incubator for a longer time.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »

Ha, I outta bring the face mask in here I had to wear while getting nuked on two sides of my head.

See they bolt your head to the table through this full faced mask so there is no movement.

and then I seen all kinds of neat colors while under treatment.

yaaa microwave right, 10 times I had to go through that Brother I hope. yours isn't that bad Derb, Smiley

Jack.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 05:36:06 PM »

I go see the new cyberknife facility in Frederick MD on Tuesday and meet with new dudes that I'll be cybering with ( ooh, gross! )  Tongue
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

Derb, this looks encouraging.

My wife found the link on her computer at work.

http://www.swmedctr.com/body.cfm?id=2640

What are CyberKnife treatments like?
CyberKnife treatments are not invasive, with no incisions or blood loss. Most patients are treated in one to five treatments, each lasting 45 to 90 minutes per tumor.  Most patients go home the same day with minimal to no side effects.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »

yeah this is the best thing available, especially for a reoccurrence.

How are you doing on the dawg house? any more progress?
w1vtp

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »

Derb, this looks encouraging.

My wife found the link on her computer at work.

http://www.swmedctr.com/body.cfm?id=2640

What are CyberKnife treatments like?
CyberKnife treatments are not invasive, with no incisions or blood loss. Most patients are treated in one to five treatments, each lasting 45 to 90 minutes per tumor.  Most patients go home the same day with minimal to no side effects.

Gosh Derb

That looks pretty encouraging.  We certainly are in the age of medical technology..  Good luck  and that med procedure is looking good for  you

Al
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »

cyber knife is pretty much the gold standard of cancer treatment now. They had it 4 years ago but only in Georgetown and a few other places. It works good. it's gonna have to, my new tumor is growing fast. it went from a few cells not visible to a 7X 4 mm mass in 6 weeks.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 10:17:08 PM »

Oh man, the best yogurt I've ever had was the Brown Cow from California.  Anyone ever had that with the cream on top?  Made with whole milk, stir the cream back in it and it is smoooooth.  I had to give it up a few years ago when the doc put me on a diet. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »

The grocery stores here have literally hundreds of different kinds of yogurt.  If I knew how to read Greek I could prolly be able to tell the difference...

There's also a bazillion different kinds of feta cheese.  I'll say one thing - the Greeks sure know how to eat well.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015