The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:52:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 300% Positive Peaks AM Modulation  (Read 50652 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

It's amazing what you can find while browsing YouTube on a rainy day. Tom K1JJ made reference to a post on YouTube by "MotorMouth" who apparently is legendary on 11 meters. I viewed a couple of his related posts and found two that caught my attention. In the last three minutes of the video below, the guy shows some scope patterns that look pretty impressive. He does seem to be able to reach 300% positive peaks without smacking the baseline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cB7BeLmbE

Another related video, with fairly poor focus at times, shows more of the same kind of asymmetry in the audio. At about 2 minutes into the video, the camera shows the device they are using, called "The Mauldulator".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2oe7q59SwQ

Anyone care to guess what is inside "The Mauldulator"? Perhaps a version of the HUZ zener diode limiter? Or a version of the QIX keep alive circuit? At any rate, to their credit, looks like they are having a good time with the toys they play with.

* mauldulator.jpg (10.87 KB, 311x280 - viewed 1247 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »

Whatever they're trying to do, anything much over 80-90% positive is gonna create copious distortion in yer typical diode detector.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »

Yea, but just think of the "SWANG".
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »

Check the reflection in the meter windows.
Motormouth's buddy hissself.  Really proud to work the "Maul."
A little photoshopping and we'd get a visual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSSC9eyfRI&NR=1

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »

Whatever they're trying to do, anything much over 80-90% positive is gonna create copious distortion in yer typical diode detector.

I agree 100%.

Jack

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:03:53 AM »

Also;
Anyone care to guess what is inside "The Mauldulator"? Perhaps a version of the HUZ zener diode limiter? Or a version of the QIX keep alive circuit? At any rate, to their credit, looks like they are having a good time with the toys they play with.

Looks like he massages a low level signal by reducing the carrier and keeping the original peaks. (if the pix and description are representative of the real mauldulator.  In one of the tube vids, he makes the statement that oscilloscope vertical gain has to be turned up because the carrier is now less. Then her runs it through an 811.  So much for his SS lecture on ancient tubes.  Grin

http://www.motormouthmaul.com/mmm2_003.htm

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »

Looks like he massages a low level signal by reducing the carrier and keeping the original peaks. (if the pix and description are representative of the real mauldulator.  In one of the tube vids, he makes the statement that oscilloscope vertical gain has to be turned up because the carrier is now less. Then her runs it through an 811.

That sounds precisely the same as "ultramodulation" to me.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:06 AM »

Check the reflection in the meter windows.
Motormouth's buddy hissself.  Really proud to work the "Maul."
A little photoshopping and we'd get a visual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHSSC9eyfRI&NR=1

Hi Rick,

I think he needs more presence...lol Cool

Jack

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »

Another possible approach is by using a low level audio circuit that will artificially create more gain in the positive direction than the negative direction, About 10 years ago the Huzman designed one up and I built it. It was actually two op amps with audio split between them. One op amp had a gain adjustment. They were combined at their outputs to produce an asymetrical waveform. I was able to re-make my voice with 300% positive peaks. The waveform looked great. However, in that day of diode detectors, all I heard were complaints of distortion when I ran it up. I concluded that the natural voice asymetricity is all that's needed - 130% positive is all I run these days, maximum.

It was a cool circuit, though.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Yep,

Very interesting find Rick. His website has very succinct advice regarding how to use a scope and the importance of using one when operating AM or at the very least when setting up an AM transmitter. He seems to have a very good technical background. Apparently, he is also a licensed ham on the west coast AM scene. Looks like he knows what he's doing.

I wonder if he designed and developed the board himself? From the picture on his site it looks like a professional layout.

Tom, I have definitely found that a few of my receivers get very unhappy when tuned to stations with excessive asymmetry in the audio. The worst of all is my portable Grundig (G5) which has difficulty with a few stations on the AM broadcast band that run very heavy audio. They sound a little gritty while other stations that peak right at around 100% sound very clean. I would agree with W1JN that going overboard might look great on the scope, but it can be nasty on the other end depending on what receiver the other guy is using. I think your 130% target is a good one to aim for. It should sound loud, but shouldn't rip through the detectors of most receivers. Be careful with that HUZman technology, you might get strapped and find your life taking a different turn...

Ah well, so much to learn, so little time. Think I'll take a nap!

:O)  

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 01:15:56 PM »

since when do cb'ers care about distortion?
ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »

since when do cb'ers care about distortion?

Derb,

Around my parts there's a couple of CB operators with Behringer Mics and Processors and Yaesus
and Ikems on 11 meters man...they sound like Broadcasters...lol....smooth audio...

And we have a VHF'er FM on 2 that sounds like Tom Brokaw  Smiley Audio is out of control brother..LOL

Jack.

Superhet66
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »

Capt jack
I bet dollars on donuts some of those 11m sharks swim these very waters.. arrghh arrgh.

* Mauling.jpg (3.23 KB, 143x107 - viewed 1994 times.)
ka3zlr
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

LOL.. Grin

Jack.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »

oh yeah they hang here big time. AM Fone is whirl wide, and there's no doubt , U no it is.  Cool
ka3zlr
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »

I think it's Great man... Smiley

Jack.

W1GFH
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »

He seems to have a very good technical background. Apparently, he is also a licensed ham on the west coast AM scene. Looks like he knows what he's doing.

I don't recall running into him in the W. Coast AM scene.

KC6MFX, "Voice of the Central Coast of California"

Ah, that's why. His tech license limits his HF AM stylings to, well, realistically, 11 meters.

ka3zlr
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »

What's the General License Limits.. Cool

Jack

W1GFH
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »

Well, a General gets you onto the 75 meter AM Ghetto, which on the W. Coast tends to be very genteel anyhows.  Grin 
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:14 PM »

Yea, but just think of the "SWANG".
The 'Scope patterns are beautiful!!!! I see the trace blanking, would that be from the video syncing? I cannot get a nice trace like that. The display is always moving about, apparently he is using some sort of triggering to get such a nice trace.
Pinching the carrier was impressive WOW!!! Endless modulation.

Don, would that be characteristic of Ultra Mod???

That's it!!!! They like to see the power meter schwang up when they talk and the guy on the receiving end wants to see his meter pegged if possible.
I ALMOST swear this youtube was our Don in there, but listening closer it almost sounds like the DERB!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfod6pgymc&feature=related
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »

MAULDULATOR.  Awesome!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »

using a maverick 250 to drive an 811A ? huh.

Wawasee made a classical "modulator" with a 6BQ5 running some 750V on the plate, grounded grid. It worked well giving only a few watts carrier and high peaks.

What is he doing with DB-9 connectors? interesting anyway if it is all analog.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WQ9E

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »

The 'Scope patterns are beautiful!!!! I see the trace blanking, would that be from the video syncing? I cannot get a nice trace like that. The display is always moving about, apparently he is using some sort of triggering to get such a nice trace.

Phred

Phred,

What type of scope are you using?  Any of the Tektronix, HP, or similar "lab grade" scopes have no trouble providing this type of display.  You do need a scope with a real triggered timebase, the Heathkit monitor scopes and TV service type scopes with recurrent sweep cannot do this properly. 

You can easily find high quality scopes for little money at hamfests and it will find a lot of use on your repair bench.  I use a couple of Tektronix 7854 mainframes with an assortment of vertical and horizontal plug-ins on the bench and some older Tektronix scopes (Types 545A, 555, and 556) are stationed at various points for monitoring.

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »

The mauldulator is possibly a differential compander. "It runs on +/- 15 Volts and 24 Volts DC." - and in one page of developmental images there it shows an audio power stage/DC supply breadboard (bread-sink?) hooked to the breadboard of the IC's, and this hooked to the test CB, more of an audio frequency power supply with DC offset to replace the modulator in the CB?

maybe in the CB, which most often today uses an iron-less dc coupled modulator, has a 12V supply and runs the final at 6V for carrier. That is normal Cobra 146GTL stuff.
If this modulated DC voltage is intercepted and the negative half compressed and the positive half expanded (to as much as 24V), then there is 4x carrier voltage possible. The fact that he is going to 3X would account for the added headroom to preserve fidelity, plus avoidance of the real possibility of blowing up the CB final by over-voltage stress.

(The same nonlinearity-type effect to some degree can be had by varying the screen voltage in a voltage amplifier pentode such as a 6GH8 section as I learned designing an APH-1050  tube amp mod some time ago. The sound is quite good, but referenced to the DC plate voltage, the (large signal) negative signals are compressed compared to the positive ones when my "linearity" pot is improperly adjusted. Corrolary: what is good for hi-fi music <> what is good for CB Mauldulation.)

The +/- 15VDC is for the op-amps on the board etc.

It seems like it would compress the negative half of the modulating wave and expand the positive half, or have essentially the same effect. the "symmetry" control varies this action's depth.

This also explains why a DB-9 is a good choice -the several wires necesary. Where does he get the +/-15V and +24V for the production project? a package supply maybe. A mobile version might be of interest but clumsy due to the 24V@6A peak?

Good guess on the secrets of the Mauldulator?

BTW there are 4 diodes on the production PCB along with the several ICs. Not that that's what they are for, but it is funny.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »

What are the better boatanchor receivers to receive high positive peaks?

Carl
KM1H
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015