The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:24:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ART 13 tuning -- THE KNOBS! THE KNOBS! Watch those KNOBS!  (Read 2787 times)
w1vtp

« on: April 06, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »

Tho't you all would enjoy this.  Actually, it's the Navy version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1S6-FDRmlA
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »

Great demo Al. The only thing I don't like is the new UTUBE library. You used to be able to see many more examples of related items than you do nowadays.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »

I am lucky to have two, but they will need some work. Really cool Tx's. I hope to be able to get started on the first one (ugly one) by the end of summer. I figure it will be the best one for the learning experience and I won't be apt to destroy the good one on the first go-around.

Here's what I have been working on for the past few weeks. It was more or less a basket case, but anything that worked before should be able to work again with a little determination. Just a few little odds and ends left and the Bandmaster should be ready to make some QSO's; hopefully, if band conditions will cooperate.       

* dcp_0001.jpg (871.01 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 414 times.)

* dcp_0004.jpg (868.17 KB, 2160x1440 - viewed 374 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

I am lucky to have two, but they will need some work. Really cool Tx's. I hope to be able to get started on the first one (ugly one) by the end of summer. I figure it will be the best one for the learning experience and I won't be apt to destroy the good one on the first go-around.

Here's what I have been working on for the past few weeks. It was more or less a basket case, but anything that worked before should be able to work again with a little determination. Just a few little odds and ends left and the Bandmaster should be ready to make some QSO's; hopefully, if band conditions will cooperate.       

All right -- you have me curious.  Could you name off some of that other stuff?  On the second pic.  Which TBS50 is that?  My aunt W1UET who got me started in ham radio had the deluxe version with a JT30 and a SX28.  She always got out with that combo.  Funny, the TBS50 always started with a feedback squeal that went away abruptly after about a second.  Never could figure out why it did that -- probably RF.  What did I know -- I was just a kid then

Memories
KC4VWU

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:29:30 PM »

That was one I found at the winter CCAWA last year. It appeared to be a C version, but when I removed the cobbled on encloure someone had added previously, I found that someone had added a factory speech amp. It had  the C front panel on it (senior), but it was rusting and the paint was literally wiping off like dust. It was in pretty poor shape. I hand cut a steel panel for it, drilled, painted, and lettered it, until I could experiment with silkscreening the old panel. I made the wooden enclosure from a piece of scrap shelving board. It was missing a few parts that I replaced and a little cleaning and PTT relay added. It will make power, about 15-20w carrier, but the pi-net must have really close choices of C; the ant. loading is fully meshed and the plate tune is fully unmeshed on 75M. Same out on 40M. It only draws about 55 mils which seems a little low; I was figuring about 100 mils @ 450v which should have me around at least 35W out. A little more research is in order.
    The other stuff is part of my ARC-5 collection and other misc junk to strip and apply to more useful applications. I have a lot of JUNK. but I like it. Makes me feel great whan a friend comes over to visit and sees somthing I bought at a fest that looked like it had went through WW III and says " Wow! You really got that thing working!"

73, Phil
Superhet66
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »

Nice,

What a proper looking rig. Watching it do it's job makes it all the better.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015