The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:53:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADDVICE  (Read 4850 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: June 11, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »

I might be shipping an Ameritron 811 amplifier. Would it be wise to ship the tubes separate?
The manual reads like the tubes are already installed.
Would the next buyer know about taking the cover off and inserting the tubes? Or should I make sure that before shipping, the next buyer is graduated beyond an appliance operator??

I just bought a used AL1500 and it was shipped in the original three cartons. Transformer......Eiamc TUBE.........Amp chassis.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

Jeeze.  The appliance operator that doesn't have enough understanding to handle tubes should really stick to solid state linears.  Sell it to someone who has a clue.  People with a clue are less likely to splatter.

AMI#1684
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »

Fred,

I believe that tubes should definitely be well packed and shipped separately.  If any tube comes loose during shipping it is going to do a lot of damage.

I would let the buyer know the tubes are being shipped separately and maybe tape a card over the power cord prongs with the same message on it.  

If the buyer doesn't even know how to install the tubes I hope you are not offering any type of guarantee on the amp.  If he doesn't know what he is doing and decides to peak the plate and dip the output the amp is going to be most unhappy Smiley  Sort of like the caution note in a Panasonic printer I bought at the dawn of the PC age, the first warning in the manual read literally:  "for Mr. printer to be most happy please do not drown him in the bath tub" which roughly translates into don't get Mr. printer wet or he will be p**sed.

Rodger WQ9E
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »

Ehh, just tape a note to the top of it saying to install the tubes per the instructions in the owners manual. 811'a are not exactly "gripped" by the socket too well and at least one of them is guaranteed to drop out in transit. Especially if your using Unmitigated Package Smashers to deliver it.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »

It makes sense to pull them out. Will Do.
Roger-wilco-out

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »

Yep.. Pull the tubes out.. Take a photo of them installed and email it or print it so they guy can see how they go.  Make a note for him to be carefull handling them and then put a page of paper inside the amp with "Danger HIGH VOLTAGE!" on it.  This will ensure that you might win the court case that will come up from his widow if he does this with the amp on and plugged in. 

Is the transformer mounted solid?  Lots of those bang through the case when UPS hurls it off a speeding Conveyer belt into a Bin.

Clark
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »

This amp will survive shipping with the transformer installed. It's the 3-811A version. I could understand if it was an AL1200 or 1500.

I'll disconnect the fuses and put them in a plastic bag INSIDE the case, makes it almost foolproof.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »

Good deal.. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015