The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of commercial broadcast radio as we know it.  (Read 57308 times)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »

What is interesting is that I beleive it was Don, K4KYV, raised the specter of WiMax on this very forum 4 or 5 years ago!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ka3zlr
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:38 AM »

Well Jack, yes. If something's really interesting, one devotes all their attention to it, be it video, a book or M13 through a large aperture telescope, whether it be 'virgin' photons through an ocular or via the computer screen....   as you know  Grin

And, quite right; if multi-tasking does one thing it shortens attention span and perhaps reasoned,anaylitical ability.

So we must stay connected to the latest buzz, um hmmm, most derived from HBS post partum lingo.

Absolutely,
Clearly,
Going forward,
Having said that,
..ad absurdium.

I guess language does change; witness "prior to" instead of simply "before" after Grin John Dean's testamony in the Watergate 'trials.'

Hi Rick,  Cheesy

As always well said, well put,...But I still watch one channel at a time an listen to one station at a time, I are a stick in the mud.....

No the New Backbone is fine I don't have a problem with getting that done, accomplished, things have grown....

But I do like how it's presented like toys to the John Q. Public, here play with this phone, Ipod whatever, it's the latest thing.....the latest Tech...now pay the latest Fee... LOL  Like the elimination of Pay Phones, why let them pay just for the use, charge them for everything....all the eggs in one basket...

Hey by the way Rick did you read that article in the paper about Allegheny Power being bought out,  More Monopolism Brother coming up right in front of our eyes.

Jack.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

Jim:

I have to say you are an astute person with good observations and predictions!

While I bemoan what the FCC has done in the past (yes I agree precedent was set by the previous sale of spectrum), your comments about 89-90 diluting the value of the medium are accurate and the transition to wireless seems very plausible.

I agree that the transition will probably be staged, but at this time see one supplier per city, possibly even nationwide, thus a monopoly on prices. I do hope that some form of reverse 911 or a better form of EAS is provided.

Local news will be provided, probably by the local newspaper, but I also see it's capability more limited due to less revenue.

Two years ago I asked a woman in her thirties about her TV viewing. She told me she watched all her media on the Internet and did not know the call letters of the local TV stations in Boston. At that time I knew the audience had essentially left broadcasting. Us broadcasters are indeed surviving on the older traditional viewers, and I tend to be one of them. However once I opened my eyes as to where young people are and how they are using media, I saw the future. To me it is "follow the people"-and it is all Internet.

At the station I work at now, we have an extremely dynamic Internet presence, and that is one of the reasons I elected to work there. We also use all media to it's fullest capability, but when OTA dies, I see a major shrinkage in what we do and the revenue we can pull in. At that time, I'll probably need to re-tool for another career. I am expecting this.

As far as your friends' Internet radio...I believe they are required to pay RIAA fees. College stations and non profits have to, and it is less that commercial rates. I restore 78 RPM records as a hobby and thought of starting an Internet station. Even though most of the music is public domain, the thought of my having to justify my efforts to the RIAA (and my lazyness!) has calmed me down to the idea.

Thanks for the good discussion!!

Dan

ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »

I think it's a Shame, Down right Terrible Idea.....

Radio is Not radio on the internet, it's piped in media in my limited view.

During the storm The Cell tower developed issues, the Direct TV sig went off for a few hours, and we had no Grid Electricity.

I have an old Briggs an Stratton Two socket generator..kept the house warm we cooked on a small grill put the juice where we needed it...worked FB an earned a special spot in my Garage for it's undying operation the thing is better than 20 years old and was a gift from a close friend some years back, never used it much, once or twice a year I ran it checked the oil changed the gas often regular maintenance, our grid was out 4 days.

An we had Terrestrial Radio on the air when we needed it, I hate to think that the ones with all this foresight in these business's being discussed here are considering everything wireless tech on these machines, the local paper is useless in a storm, I would be more than just a little upset without some type of radio reception....Cell Phones are a Handy little device But,..I'm not putting anymore trust than that in them...no Sir.

Jack.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »

I'm really a conservative Jack, but I try to keep an open mind and put things in perspective.  Grin

Concerning the Power co'.s merger, buy Alleghenie's stock now.  Based on personal experinece, CNG into Va. Power, now Dominion, CNG's stock (renamed) doubled in a few years and is one of the few that held steady or gained back through the last couple of big crashes,(9/11 and 2008/9/10.)

But the mention of emergency generators makes me think that power outages, no matter where we live seem to occur more often and last longer than those of even REA's early days.  Maybe just seems so, I"ll have to see if some decent data is documented somewhere.

So communications, basic utility services, gasoline prices, whatever can go into "defib" just like hearts right before the major crash?

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »

I'm really a conservative Jack, but I try to keep an open mind and put things in perspective.  Grin

Concerning the Power co'.s merger, buy Alleghenie's stock now.  Based on personal experinece, CNG into Va. Power, now Dominion, CNG's stock (renamed) doubled in a few years and is one of the few that held steady or gained back through the last couple of big crashes,(9/11 and 2008/9/10.)

But the mention of emergency generators makes me think that power outages, no matter where we live seem to occur more often and last longer than those of even REA's early days.  Maybe just seems so, I"ll have to see if some decent data is documented somewhere.

So communications, basic utility services, gasoline prices, whatever can go into "defib" just like hearts right before the major crash?

Hi Rick,

I wana say me too but I do like Technology to much it's not good to be to conservative in that respect. I Appreciate the Tip on the Stock I was thinking about their Stability and you have answered that question..TNX....But what a Conglomerate Huh....Awesum....WOW.

It's a Cool little generator My buddy gave me Can't run to much on it, Just two 115v lines, it was GREAT for Field Day..I had told him back then I'd rebuild it for him an give it back, ya know New Valve seats, new Valves Hone the cylinder check for roundness an a New set of Rings....an he says ah just keep it you might need it one Day.... Grin I called him on the Twisted pair after things settled down an told him what happened and How Thankful we were.....He say's "See I told you to listen to me"....LOL....

Amazing

Jack.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »

But the mention of emergency generators makes me think that power outages, no matter where we live seem to occur more often and last longer than those of even REA's early days.  Maybe just seems so, I"ll have to see if some decent data is documented somewhere.

One thing to consider is that there is quite a bit more infrastructure now than in the early REA days. The population of the country has increased by 50 to 100 million people.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »

I restore 78 RPM records as a hobby and thought of starting an Internet station. Even though most of the music is public domain, the thought of my having to justify my efforts to the RIAA (and my lazyness!) has calmed me down to the idea.

If you limit all your playlist to public domain material, you don't have to "justify" anything.  Tell the RIAA bullys to get lost.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wb1aij
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 12:26:12 PM »

I hope the gubment allows the tax; the commercial stations will stop promoting the air pollution that most of them emit & the pirate stations will start popping up. I will listen to AM 740 from Toronto & the pirates. The greedy record label companies will get NUTTIN and starve.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »

I doubt that will happen.  OTA radio will become even more irrelevant as listeners turn more and more to iPods, WiMax, streaming audio and other digital media.

And that is NOT "radio".  It is more akin to "Rediffusion" that was tried in Europe before WW2. 

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »

Reports of death of radio/tv greatly exaggerated or however it was Mark Twain put it  Grin

1.  The idea everything must go away if kids aren't using it doesn't hold water in my opinion.  Might happen eventually but not any time soon.   

2.  Actually off-air TV viewing has had a minor increase because of DTV.  I bet everyone knows at least one or two people who have dumped cable because now they can get the channels they watched before but for free and with equal to cable or better picture quality off-air. 

3.  FM radio as a music source may be vulnerable but not only because kids don't listen to radio.  It occupies a part of the spectrum that can be used for high-techy stuff.  The thing saving AM radio is ...what else are you gonna do with 200 meters on down (this is what's saving HF ham radio too)?   That doesn't mean radio won't change.  Sure stations will go away and formats will have to change.   I see more AMs as local information conduits--news and local event coverage.  Amazingly (to me because I have zero interest in sports) some AMs are killing with the sports talk format.  The trick is delivering a unique audio program of interest that people will grow into.  When I was a kid the last thing I wanted to listen to was an all-news station.  Now as an O.F., a lot of my listening time is spent with the local CBS owned news outlet.  When young people become property owners; parents...their focus shifts.  the broadcast industry will take advantage of that.

For now, they have a heck of a bully pulpit when it comes to making voters aware of what is happening that is a detriment to their free information and entertainment access.

Rob   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »

Some residual terrestrial radio may survive for decades or longer in the form of micro-broadcasters, or community based public radio, but it will all be local and probably listener supported.

I would not mind this at all.  I would love to see all the Clear Channel's and other conglomerates leave the radio business forever.

here's a interesting angle on the performance tax from Barry Mishkind's broadcasting email reflector:

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 12:20:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [BC] the 'radio performance tax'
To: broadcast@radiolists.net
Message-ID: <4B93E057.5070802@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed

If it passes, the correct response for stations that may want to
continue broadcasting music is to charge the record labels at the
regular (non-discount) spot rate for airing their three-minute
commercials.
This will generate enough revenue to more than offset any
"tax" the labels think they're owed.

The excess could then be used to hire studio musicians to perform
whatever songs the Big Labels don't want to pay for.

Any record company type person who asks me about the PRA...

I tell 'em, "Fine.  Then the songs get treated as whet they are,
commercials for your product.  My station's ratecard is..."

The NAB needs to stress this when buttonholing Congresscritters - the
free airplay of Big Label Music amounts to free commercial airtime.

And since the vast majority of listeners are in major markets (>100) and
most stations in large markets have ratecards in excess of $100 / :60...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »

A stroke of genius!

Back in the dark ages when I used to work at a 1 kw daytimer (part-time chief engineer) the record companies were begging the stations for airplay.  The stations didn't have to go out and buy the 45's; the labels sent promo copies as junk mail.  We had more free vinyl than we could have ever played even if we had been allowed a 24/7 format. We took some home; others were used as coasters and Frisbees.

This was expressed in lyrics from a now-forgotten rock group that gained tremendous popularity during the mid-60's, named Paul Revere and the Raiders:

And all you stations across the nation
Please play our records for your congregation...

http://www.onewest.net/~roxtar/lyrics/revere_paul2.html

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »

Yes, let's get the conglomerate out of broadcasting - like GE, ABC, CBS, and NBC. Those clowns have been killing it for years.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

Do they even have NBC, CBS and ABC radio networks any more? The radio conglomerates now are mega-monopoly Clear Channel and, well, uh, who are its competitors?

- - -
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »

If you limit all your playlist to public domain material, you don't have to "justify" anything.  Tell the RIAA bullys to get lost.

Yeah Don, and if the RIAA boys get uppity, we'll just tell them we're going to play all their stuff over the air using NARTB equalization.  Won't that just tin their ears.? Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »

They still control the programming. Disney owns tons of networks too. CC is no where near a monopoly and far less than CBS and NBC back in the day. Lots of huff and puff about CC but it's mostly from haters.

Do they even have NBC, CBS and ABC radio networks any more? The radio conglomerates now are mega-monopoly Clear Channel and, well, uh, who are its competitors?
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

I restore 78 RPM records as a hobby and thought of starting an Internet station. Even though most of the music is public domain, the thought of my having to justify my efforts to the RIAA (and my lazyness!) has calmed me down to the idea.

If you limit all your playlist to public domain material, you don't have to "justify" anything.  Tell the RIAA bullys to get lost.

here's a start. free of copyrights, fresh off the ol plattenspieler.. The sound will need restoring I guarantee it.
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mp3/dir.html

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »

I hope the gubment allows the tax; the commercial stations will stop promoting the air pollution that most of them emit & the pirate stations will start popping up. I will listen to AM 740 from Toronto & the pirates. The greedy record label companies will get NUTTIN and starve.

haha I'd love to pirate. It would be the closest thing existing today to a small AM station where the engineer is respected. Too bad it's so easy for the FCC to find the pirates these days. And won't do it because it's against the law.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »

nbc radio no longer exists. as a matter of fact, NBC didnt even care about it's chimes - there's no trademark or servicemark protection on them outside of the TV operations. Anybody can use the chimes on radio. No one wants to, because it's still one of the most recognized corporate identifications in the world.

I use this as my email notification on the computers.

Clear Channel has 900 stations, Citadel who just filed for bankruptcy has around 250. ABC nominally still exists, CBS is still doing news, but I dont know anything else about their radio presence today.

* chimes20063note.mp3 (131.55 KB - downloaded 333 times.)
W3LSN

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 01:08:41 AM »

nbc radio no longer exists. as a matter of fact, NBC didnt even care about it's chimes - there's no trademark or servicemark protection on them outside of the TV operations. Anybody can use the chimes on radio. No one wants to, because it's still one of the most recognized corporate identifications in the world.

NBC Radio network was sold to Westwood One by GE and they elected to terminate the brand a few years later. NBC Rado Network News was slowly phased out and died with a whimper.

After the sale of the network, NBC sold off its remaining O&O stations in 1988. I became the director of engineering at 660 the former flagship in NYC, and on the day the station changed ownership we had a ceremonial handoff of the NBC chimes. I still have mine complete with resonator box and mallet Grin

Incidentally the notes played by the chimes are G-E-C, supposedly for "General Electric Company" which was an original shareholder of RCA. What goes around comes around.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:02 AM »

AFAIK, CBS still owns and operates stations, maybe only the five original from back when they were limited to five, but I think at those stations, everyone is a CBS employee, and the content is mostly provided by the CBS radio news.  Now, CBS is I think owned by some big nasty corporation, Infinity maybe, can't remember.  This whole mess is what we get after years of corporate deregulation, the same climate that brought us globalization (thanks for all those garbage imported power supplies radiating noise like crazy), and airline deregulation (hey I can fly to Seattle cheap but I'm lucky if I get there alive). 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3LSN

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

With respect to universal broadband access, it appears the Barbarians are at the gate. This Reuters article dated today is probably refering to Wi-MAX. I suspect I know where the bandwidth is coming from...

Reuters: U.S. Considers Some Free Wireless Broadband Service (9-Mar 2010)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100309/wr_nm/us_broadband_fcc_wireless

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »

no more emails to or from me. actually, no more internet for me if that happens.

W3LSN

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »

no more emails to or from me. actually, no more internet for me if that happens.

They have been trying to tax it since about 1999 and sooner or later it will probably happen. Everyone is looking for new sources of revenue. It just came up again and was on the local news here last night.

It would be impossible to enfore this tax. E-mail users would only jump to some e-mail server located in Botswana. This proposal reminds me of how the Postal Service originally wanted to make it illegal for people to send a private fax from anywhere but a Post Office, and look at how far that one got.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015