The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:55:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hum on my carrier w/ Henry 2K-4  (Read 33558 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »

The top is well ventilated....

* henrytop.JPG (299.26 KB, 1536x1152 - viewed 401 times.)

AMI#1684
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

Sorry Phil, but before someone gets killed I want to give my opinion -- this is an insanely bad idea.  If you did this where I work you'd get fired in a second.  The home should be no different.  If the cover restricts ventilation, do what I did -- cut a hole in the top over the tubes with a jigsaw, metal tooth blade, and bolt down some expansion steel over the hole.   If the cover is steel use cutting oil.

I too am concerned over HV safety, but before everyone gets overly excited (no pun intended),  Cheesy there are two top covers or panels on the Henry; both being perforated. (At least that is how my Henry is configured). And it appears to be the same pedestal type 2K-4 as mine.

The top cover covers the whole top rectangle including the RF deck and front panel area, and then there is the RF deck cover directly below it, shielding the operator from direct contact with HV components.

The RF deck perforated cover presses against a HV switch such that when this cover is removed, the HV is shorted, providing an interlock capability.

What I found was the RF deck will run much cooler if the "TOP" panel is removed, but still keeping with the RF deck cover, and this provides a measure of safety against HV accidental contact. The top cover, although being perforated itself, DOES restrict air flow.

Now one could install higher flow fans or whatever method that will improve cooling as well, and those would not be off the table by any means.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »

I've seen a few Henrys where a hole was cut in the top and the inner cover and pipe (or similar) inserted from the tops of the chimneys out to the top of the cabinet. It might be over kill but getting the hot air completely out of the cabinet is probably a good thing.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »

Or you could do like Tom Vu:  Remove the stock homo-fan at the bottom and seal it with an aluminum plate. Then cut a 4" hole in the back below the final cage and install a 4" pvc pipe flange. Seal it for good pressure thru the chimneys.  Run 4" flexible fiberglass hose outside the house wall - where there's a Variac'd squirrel cage waiting to blow in 30F winter air...    It runs coooool and VERY quiet.... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »

Those holes in the stock cover amount to no more than, say, a one inch hole equivalent, or whatever.
 I bet it isn't much.

Neatest idea and also keeps the cover unmolested is to take an 8 x 8 wooden cigar box top (the smaller) or equivalent, cut a fan hole in it,  mount a 4" fan on it, put some felt or foam strips around the lips, place it on top blowing upwards to put most of the amp's cover holes under negative pressure.  You'll be surprisied how cool the whole thing runs.

You'd thnk it would just suck air in through the other holes on the top and leave the rig hot but I assure you I've cooled everything from a Ranger to an HQ 110 simply by sliding it from one rig to another.

If the edges of the box are even all the way around, you don't even need sealing felt or strips.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »

I too am concerned over HV safety, but before everyone gets overly excited (no pun intended),  Cheesy there are two top covers or panels on the Henry; both being perforated. (At least that is how my Henry is configured). And it appears to be the same pedestal type 2K-4 as mine.

Didn't know that Phil; I apologize.  Thought the days of double covers only extended through the great Ham TVI plague of the 1950s when TV was new and suddenly hams were innocently wrecking channel 2. 

Removing one cover is probably a good idea -- and cutting a hole over the tubes and putting in expansion steel may be a good thing too but you have to not care what your gear looks like (I don't care what my gear looks like  Grin).   Anyway, two covers is another sign of good building. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:33 PM »

Didn't know that Phil; I apologize.  Thought the days of double covers only extended through the great Ham TVI plague of the 1950s when TV was new and suddenly hams were innocently wrecking channel 2. 
Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
Hey no problem Rob.

I think when John took the pictures, he had removed both top covers to give everyone a sneak peak of the (can I say  - virgin?) RF deck and it's components.

In fact, I believe there are like two interlocks on this puppy. One is on the RF deck cover and one on the back cover for access to the power supply. The one on the back cover is a reed switch on the chassis with the magnet on the back panel.

When I finally got mine into the basement shack, I opened all covers, vacuumed,  inspected all components for heat and corrosion, and cleaned all switches and contacts.

Imagine my suprise when I replaced the RF deck cover for a dummy load test and the thing didn't power up.

Duh? I then found the reed switch. Embarrassed Embarrassed and all was well.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »

UPDATE:

I ordered a grounded grid bifilar wound ferrite rod type filament choke from RF Parts.  20 bucks.  I was able to replace the stock torroid filament choke.

NO MORE HUM!  SUCCESS!!!

73 John

AMI#1684
WA1GFZ

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 10:32:24 AM »

BTW the inductance of a B&W FC 30 winding is 17uh
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »

Unless you drop it.
W3TDH

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »

Congratulations
--
Tom W3TDH
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »

I becomes more inductive then. It will induce much cursing.

Unless you drop it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015