The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yagi 101  (Read 4483 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: February 05, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »

Here is very en'light'ning demonstration of how a Yagi works.  It uses a small light bulb on a dipole and a 5 watt 2 meter signal.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/02/seeing_radio_waves_with_a_light_bul.html

AMI#1684
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »

That's quite a dramatic demonstration that everyone should view. It makes one want to go out and put reflectors and directors on all our dipoles... Grin

It's amazing how well the energy is attenuated off the rear of the Yagi.  Notably, the demonstration shows how the attenuation begins behind the driven element itself, not behind the reflector.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »

That's quite a dramatic demonstration that everyone should view. It makes one want to go out and put reflectors and directors on all our dipoles... Grin

It's amazing how well the energy is attenuated off the rear of the Yagi.  Notably, the demonstration shows how the attenuation begins behind the driven element itself, not behind the reflector.

T

I didn't think about that until you pointed it out Tom.  It does seem a little counterintuitive.... I guess I always thought of the energy bouncing back from the "reflector" but I suppose it if does "bounce back" then it's out of phase and cancels as it reflects back upon itself in that space between the the reflector and the driven element.... my brain hurts.

AMI#1684
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »

It is a nice demonstration but a little misleading. The bulb is often in the near field of the antenna (not to mention there may be some reflections happening), so it's not showing the true far field pattern - the one that actually matters.

T
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 07:37:59 AM »

Those leggings that she wears are skewing the pattern.....Otherwise a pretty neat demo..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015