The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winding a Toroid  (Read 3817 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

I've always wondered how toroid cores were wound with wire.  Out of curiosity, Youtube became my friend.
For those who've wondered like me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvm3FGTHSI

There are a few other videos that show other details that this doesn't show. It can be a brain teaser.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
ei9ju
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »

Isn't it easy when you've the proper tools  Smiley
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »

Did anybody think there were safety issues with that video of the coil winding machine?

Here is a method that even I might be able to do. But why is the guy in the video sitting on the floor like that? If I wound a toroid like that while on my knees, I doubt I could get up afterward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL51M-0ebXc
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »

Looks like he didn't want you to see the rest of his room.

Wink

Or his camera tripod isn't tall enough to get a shot over his shoulder if he sat in a chair....

K9ACT
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »

Well, now I almost understand it and suspected it had something to do with a sewing machine which has a similar problem.

In both cases, you have to plan ahead and get the right amount of wire on the bobbin first.

The second method is known as a stick shuttle in weaving which also requires loading up a bobbin first.

Thanks for the link.

js
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

Those machines show up on ebay quite often...

Usually $2k +

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »

Well, now I almost understand it and suspected it had something to do with a sewing machine which has a similar problem.

In both cases, you have to plan ahead and get the right amount of wire on the bobbin first.

The second method is known as a stick shuttle in weaving which also requires loading up a bobbin first.

Thanks for the link.

js

Yep, a little bit of engineering would need to be used.

I have always been curious how toroids were machine wound. I couldn't imagine them being done by hand on a mass production basis. And with Stu experimenting with toroidal transformers as mod transformers, figured this would be a good primer for some of the inventive and craftsmen types here on the forum.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »

Oh good grief, that could have been me on my last job! Toroid winding by machine is easy, try it with a home made clamping jig and crochet hook sometime. Yeah, production work is done that way too, UGH! How about winding bobbins, done that too on a lathe. Here's the rub, I screwed up so bad they finally decided to put me in the test department as a tech, the position I originally applied for.

Now that was a learning experience and a half, I went in a tech and came out pretty close to an engineer. Like they say on TV; "Transformers, more than meets the eye."

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015