The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:53:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390 OR 390-A  (Read 33197 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »

You haven't experienced ham radio to its fullest if you haven't spent a weekend aligning a FRR-59  Roll Eyes

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

In production each module was aligned seperately on a custom built jig. Once assembled into a functioning radio the final test tech merely had to verify spec parameters.

My first job at National was in Malden as a module tweaker and I was soon climbing the walls. Luckily I was out of there in a few months when a slot opened in the Service Dept in the National Radio division in Melrose.

Carl
WA3VJB
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

Lord have mercy on your soul.
I was scared of the damn thing.

It was nice to have those pullout drawers AND tilt pivots to work on either side though, AND to have the sub-assemblies you could raise from the main chassis. 

You haven't experienced ham radio to its fullest if you haven't spent a weekend aligning a FRR-59  Roll Eyes
WA3VJB
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

Did you ever use a JRC 515 rxer?

Chuck W3FJJ has either this one or a 525.
One post-Timonium party he had, I spent hours using it and it was a very nice receiver.  That was the same fester that you and Dean-O the KNX did the Infamous Belly-Bump, do you remember ?

The NRD "felt" more like a gussied-up Kenwood R-1000 than a commercial rig.  It was better sounding than it's main competitor at the time, the ICOM R-70, a model now seldom seen on the used market. I think its descendant, the R-71, sold better so more of them are kicking around.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015