The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weird audio  (Read 19671 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »

Frank please drive to Ct. and slap the back of my head.
I'll provide the pickled egg plant.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Brian said:
What you guys don’t understand is that signals you are hearing can very easily be nothing more than common mode current junk riding down your cable TV line.

"Earth to Brian.......Mike(y) doesn't have cable. Mike(y) has DirecTV!" I guess its common mode junk thats riding down the satellite signal. Frank, (GFZ), please pass the pickled egg plant.  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »

And it seems to me that we have all pretty much noticed the same thing: it usually occurs when there is a turned on cell phone in the same area as the device that is picking up the signal, but  Brian could be partially right if there would somehow be an amount of the cell signal from either a nearby phone or nearby base station that is being conducted by the power lines to the tvthat is picking it up.
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

Brian said:
Here we go again

Guess what guy; I have Direct TV also (HD Direct TV). And guess what else; when they installed the dish and receiver they installed two ground block transformers from the dish coax to the receiver.

The exact same problem happens with satellite TV except you don’t have the CM current surges like you get via the cable company, but you still create your own CM mode via ground loops when everything else is hooked up. When that happens the same junk gets thrown on the system. There is a lot more coming down with the satellite signals than you realize.

P.S. My dish has two LNB's and they had to use the two ground block transformers at the receiver to keep the junk from combining

Hello!!!?Huh??   Do the math! Lets see, if I hear the exact same thing that Frank is hearing, and that others are hearing don't you think the source is where the broadcast is emenating from? Come on, this isn't rocket science. Several here heard the same thing using different paths, cable, satellite, over the air. Can't you see the common denominator?
Finnito!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k3zrf

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »

Hey I resemble that, I didn't know age discrimination was part of ham radio or this forum  Huh

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »

Hey I resemble that, I didn't know age discrimination was part of ham radio or this forum  Huh

If it were you would have been discriminated against years ago.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

HRO,  "Tech"  Huh Huh

You are correct BUT you can "teach" old tricks to new dogs!  Grin Grin

From an OLD DOG who knows...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
k3zrf

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »

HA! Your turn will be soon enough  Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »

Brian ole mate ole buddy
turn off the notification for this thread and quit watching the BIO channel!!!Nice TV BTW.

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

HA! Your turn will be soon enough  Grin

Tnx fer reminding me.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:03 AM »

"tech"...   Turn your spell check on when you do your huntin & peckin...

I see that post went whizzing by..........

HRO,  "Tech"  Huh Huh

You are correct BUT you can "teach" old tricks to new dogs!  Grin Grin

From an OLD DOG who knows...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yep, and much of what I know or have learned, then forgot Grin I leaned from old dogs and just getting my hands dirty.

Tech? Are you asking if I am a tech?. I was an RF tech years ago, but I’m now an engineer at a high performance analog semiconductor company in SV.

P.S. I still think solid-state is crap even though it’s what I do for a living. Must be some of that old dog stubbornness that keeps me interested in tubes Roll Eyes

Brian ole mate ole buddy
turn off the notification for this thread and quit watching the BIO channel!!!Nice TV BTW.

Phred

I should have bought a bigger one Shocked

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »

I guess no one listened to Shelby's sound-byte. The rat ta ta ta sound IS from a nearby cell phone getting into the mic audio at the B'cast booth.

Most likely, with the miles of cable and wireless audio links at any given game, it's not so much cell phones as it is nearby cell site installations. They have the necessary emission levels needed to "get in" local broadcst network's audio.

If you've ever worked a remote broadcast of these proportions you'll understand.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

Well thankfully Buddly, it's something about the format that AT&T uses that gets into everything. According to Verizon commercials, AT&T doesn't have the saturation that Verizon does.
Verizon cell phones do not cause this digital chatter when laid next to audio equipment

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »

What you guys don’t understand is that signals you are hearing can very easily be nothing more than common mode current junk riding down your cable TV line.

If this were the case the noise would be there more often than just during the football broadcast. In fact, I've heard it on NASCAR broadcasts also. Looking at the cable siganiganal on my analyzer proves it is an intergral part of the broadcast signal. Not local common mode noise.

But alas, I'm just a Buddly who's been there. Now I'm, like Frank, just a lowly EMC Compliance engineer.

WhatdoIknow?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »

Sorry! Double click!
Where's my pills?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 12:55:39 PM »

Co-locating at commercial TX sites would have the proper shielding in place to prevent what we low-life consumers have to deal with. Typically a cellular tower only covers about 3-5 miles.
Interference and mixing with other freqs are engineered out before the switch is thrown.
I was involved in numerous sites where that was the stipulation before we could occupy a space in the comm. building and tower. And usually in the mounds of legal papers, the "last one on-site fixes any interefence problems".

It's ok to be a Buddly
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »

Thanks Fred!

And you're right. In a fixed permanent install these things are accounted for.
But in a temp setup like a football game or NASCAR race there's usually little time to get ALL the bugs out. The air is just saturated with telemetry, wireless audio and video. Not to mention the "non-type accepted" ignition systems from 43 muscle cars!

At the NASCAR truck race in Akron, OH last year most of the interference was getting into the system in the pits. Man, talk about RF(I) alley!

Brian: the pay here ain't bad. I'm satisfied with it. 'Course we all would like more but that's life!
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »

Well Brian, a lot in the industry qualify the entire system, cabinet and all. If the telecom customer does not require NEBS certification those things can and do pass the Class B requirements.

Our company certifies to NEBS as a rule. Good for marketing. The difference being NEBS requires testing down to 10Khz for radiated emissions and conducted noise currents. These are done with the cabinet doors open and closed. That's not the case with the more popular EN55022 series of tests. They only go down to 150Khz and the cabinet doors can remain closed offering a great level of suppression.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »

Bud,
I have also heard the same thing during  races come to think of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015