The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Oil filled capacitors  (Read 21684 times)
KC4VWU

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

I've actually heard of some beanbrains who bought cantenna type loads and, being too cheap to buy the proper oil to fill them, substituted with cooking oil. I would suppose that should give quite a show if the right conditions were met.

Phil
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »

I've actually heard of some beanbrains who bought cantenna type loads and, being too cheap to buy the proper oil to fill them, substituted with cooking oil. I would suppose that should give quite a show if the right conditions were met.

Phil

Not to mention probably some very tasty chicken if you had some around.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »

PCB Toxicidity is based on human consumption over a period of years (eating it).

It is thought, key word  "thought"  to be cancer causing if eaten. This has not been proven with research on humans, only in animal tests.

I don't plan on eating any if one of my caps blows.

Many workers in the electrical industry were heavily exposed in the pre 1970s times and there is no study showing they were harmed.

It would be interesting to know how many people were killed in fires caused by oil filled transformers after PCBs were banned.

Most pole transformers have mineral oil in them.  They rarely had PCBs except from contamination. Most power companies pooled the mineral oil in tanks and it was contaminated when oil from a special PCB tranformer was mixed with the mineral oil in the tank. No one at the time really cared about the mixing. PCBs were expensive compared to mineral oil and were used in transformers inside buildings or in areas that were a fire hazzard if the transformer exploded.

The trade names for PCBs were Pyranol and Askerel.

Toxic waste is a stupid misnomer - Most household chemicals and even foods are considered toxic if they enter the waste stream.

There are many extremely toxic chemicals that I do not want to have around my home - there needs to be some common sense used in classification of these chemicals - rather than scaring the public by branding everything that can cause any harm "toxic waste".

Cooking oil and table salt may be toxic to some wildlife when poured into a stream - but it should not be classed the same as Sodium Cyanide.

I was the Toxic Waste officer for a very large printing operation for many years. The laws and the procedures were senseless. An oily rag was classed the same as Chromium sludge.

Years ago, I attended a seminar put on by the US Attorney in South Carolina. Two items caught my attention.

The first was,  at that time over a trillion dollars had been spent on superfund cleanups - 100% of that money was for attorney fees - at that time not one cent had been spent on cleaning up anything. This was roughly 1990.

The other item was a small town sewer supervisor in SC had several times opened a valve and let raw sewage run into a small creek during severe storm flooding - in order to keep the main tanks from overflowing - he had done so on orders from the town council but he had the waste treatment license and was responsible. He got 5 years NO PAROLE. The US Attorney that prosecuted him (he was giving the seminar) said that he expected that no way the jury would find him guilty - but they did and with  the new sentencing rules , the judge had to give him 5 years in prison. He was turned in by an enviromentalist after reading about the sewer plant flooding problems in the newspaper.

Pat
N4LTA
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

Might not be a bad substitute - The flash point for peanut oil is about 320 degrees C

The minimum required flash point for transformer oil is 140 Degrees C.

Other properties such as heat carrying ability might make the cooking oil worse.

Pat
N4LTA

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »

If anyone is interested, I have a 20mfd @ 20,000 volt cap. Its pretty large. It is also PCB free, according to the label. If you want it, come get it..............ITS FREE.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M

Bring it to Nearfest Gary

Carl
KM1H

K4TLJ

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

Phil
I used distilled water in my Cantenna for a while. Worked FB.
I now have mineral oil in it though. No difference that I can discern.

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015