The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverb - Real Spring or Digital?  (Read 36945 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »

You can compress the lows and highs separately and differently with a multi-band unit like you have Tom. When dbx recommends not compressing them, it amounts to an admission their box is incapable of properly dealing with lows. Not good.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »

You crack me up Steve.  It handles the lows fine. I like it with the lows not compressed. Lots of units do not even have this option. It also has Over easy.  But thats probably there to cover up some weakness in the box also.

C
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

You are easily amused.   Grin

My point is that single band compressors are limited. That's why BC stations use multi-band compression and have for decades. Tom has a six band box, so there is no need to not compress the lows or any other part of the spectrum.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:50 PM »

Unless he likes the sound of uncompressed lows like I do Smiley 

Nite.

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »

I like the sound of no compression at any freq, just like in person.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »

Agreed.

C
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »

Hope to catch you on the radio over the weekend. It's time for another coast-to-coast bash! See if you can get more of your homies out that way to fire up.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »

Cool.. FIred up the king right now.. Its AMI night.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »

Yeah, let's make some coast to coast noise this weekend.   Youse guys can beat me up about my new reverb sound.  That a good incentive to get on, right?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:48 PM »

I had to pull the plug. Its raining here and I saw lightning out the window.  Guess I will go read a tube manual and go to bed.

C
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »

TOM Said:It was fairly intuitive and I set it up with a simulated reverb spring.  I cut the unit's internal bass and enhanced the highs using the reverb's internal settings until it worked only on the highs. When I hit a bass note, there is no reverb. When I hit an "S"  or "CH"  it has a wispy sound to it. I like it!

WOW!! Tom, I'm disappointed in you.
The Alesis reverb takes care of that sort of thing without surgery.
I'm gonna have to get into the reveb net too.......look out

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:36 AM »

Fred,

The Berhinger will do as described above with its own internal settings too. That's what I meant when I used discriminated highs as a high pass filter for reverb. No external surgery required.

The menu on this thing is quite user friendly - it uses five manual knobs to control parameters on the menu screen - unlike those cumbersome " < > " arrow keys many units use.

I think I got the "AIO" sound on the highs only - we'll see from reports.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Don, W2DL

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »

Hi -

I just happen to have a spring system reverb that was in use in a commercial radio station until about 3 years ago (I'm the CE for the station), I have been looking to get $100 for it at a few hamfests, but I guess it's known to only a few what it is - does - or sounds like!  We used at the station with just a small reverb injection back into the station audio when the mike in the studio was turned on to give "presence" to the sound. It really did it's job, we replaced it with a new console that was solid state, of course, and it had a similar reverb sound unit built in.

Ever since it's been sitting in one of my closets. If interested, let me know.

Regards,
Don, W2DL

Don, W2DL
57years a ham!!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

Thanks for the offer, Don.

I've already received my solid state unit and it's working FB. But maybe someone else here will be interested in your authentic model... Grin

I set mine to "spring" reverb simulation out of about five different methods in the menu.

If you get no buyer here, there seems to be a big market on e-Bay for spring reverbs.

T

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »

spring reverb would make a good add-in for a well-tempered Ker-Chunker. If your Ker-Chunker involves motor-generator starting, then a digital reverb set for a very short delay would be interesting.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KC2IFR
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »

Being an old bastard....the best spring reverb I ever heard was made by Hammond. It was 2 springs that were inside of 2 tubes that were filled with some sort of oil.....I think it was mineral oil. These tubes were about 3 to 4 feet tall and installed in the vertical position in a tone cabinet that was made by Hammond.
To change the sound of the reverb one changed the viscountcy of the oil........
Anyway.....so there.........

Bill 
W1FRM
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »

FYI - Antiquie Electronics Supply lists several spring reverbs
in their catalogs which are intended for Guitar Amps.  The
price range is around $20 to $30 ............ cheap enuf if one
wants to experiment.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands